• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Restaurants in Italy

spiffylubes

Reaction score
You guys had some good suggestions for Paris when I went over the summer, now I'm going to Italy for my honeymoon.

We're going to be in Sorrento, Rome, Siena, Florence, and Venice for 3 nights each. Anyone have any suggestions for great places in any of those cities?

Cue the first world problems posts...

None in those towns, but if you have the chance, there's a place called 13 gobbi in montefallonico that is fantastic. Very possibly my parents had dinner there today. I love Tuscany.

I got some great Mexican food in Florence at this place called Tijuana. Also got some amazing Chinese food in Rome at a restaurant called Tien Tsin.

None in those towns, but if you have the chance, there's a place called 13 gobbi in montefallonico that is fantastic. Very possibly my parents had dinner there today. I love Tuscany.

Unlikely since there's not a single restaurant open for tourists in Tuscany

We ate at Antica Osteria da Divo in Siena, and thought it was pretty good. The restaurant is built into a cave, which made for a cool dining experience and it would definitely be romantic for a honeymoon.

If you follow these rules, you will always find a great place to eat in Italy.

1. Avoid restaurants with a view.

2. Avoid restaurants where there are a lot of tourists.

3. Do go to a restaurant where most of the patrons appear to be Italians.

4. Look around at the other tables and see what others are having. If many seem to be having the same thing, ask your waiter what it is and order that.

5. If you are familiar with the local specialties, try to order one of those.

6. When in Italy, eat Italian food.

7. Finish your meal with a glass of grappe, or limoncello for the ladies.

Was just in Rome and Florence 2 months ago:

Rome
http://www.osteriadememmo.it/
Very local, wife and I stumbled up on it during the day, noticed only Italians having lunch and went back for dinner. Great atmosphere.

Florence
http://www.bucadellorafo.com/site/index.html
Just off the Ponte Vecchio, downstairs in a basement. Owned by a father and daughter. Only about 6 tables in the restaurant. Cheap, local wine. Menu changes with the season

http://www.ristorantelagiostra.com/eng-home.php
A must. Awesome atmosphere, restaurant is owned by the remaining Hapbsurg princes of Florence. Make sure to speak with the owner as he makes the rounds (hard to miss him, he's got about 20 silver bracelets up each arm, tons of tats and earrings). Get the Florentine steak for 2, amazing.

In Florence, hit up Trattoria Sostanza and get the butter chicken.

In Amalfi, if you're cool with dropping some cash, check out Ristorante Don Alfonso 1890.

Isn't the Olive Garden training place somewhere in Tuscany? We should hit that up.

But seriously, thanks for all the input! Picking restaurants is hard as hell to do, especially with only 3 nights in each city.

I got some great Mexican food in Florence at this place called Tijuana. Also got some amazing Chinese food in Rome at a restaurant called Tien Tsin.

I feel like you are not doing Italy right.

My favorite place in Venice, where I became friends with the guys, is Taverna San Trovaso. It's nothing special, but it's reasonably priced and chill, and probably pretty easy to get in on a random evening. They also have a sister restaurant now called Ristorante San Trovaso, but that is relatively new and wasn't there when I was in Venice. Might be a nice alternative if you are splashing cash all over the place. Of course this was 15 years ago, so it could have all changed and gone to shit and be ridiculously expensive now, but sometimes you just gotta LIVE mannnnn.

My favorite place in Venice, where I became friends with the guys, is Taverna San Trovaso. It's nothing special, but it's reasonably priced and chill, and probably pretty easy to get in on a random evening. They also have a sister restaurant now called Ristorante San Trovaso, but that is relatively new and wasn't there when I was in Venice. Might be a nice alternative if you are splashing cash all over the place. Of course this was 15 years ago, so it could have all changed and gone to shit and be ridiculously expensive now, but sometimes you just gotta LIVE mannnnn.

Isn't that the one that had perfected the art of hitting on the Wake girls each semester? They had it down to a science - host an after hours dinner the first few weeks, speaka di italiano to di putti, slowly push the guys out, and profit for the next three months.

Isn't that the one that had perfected the art of hitting on the Wake girls each semester? They had it down to a science - host an after hours dinner the first few weeks, speaka di italiano to di putti, slowly push the guys out, and profit for the next three months.

I think so. Knew some chicks who stayed at Casa Artom, and I'm pretty sure they talked about this place a lot.

Yes, yes it is. There were at least a couple that hooked up with ladies in our group. I guess I stuck as a guy because I partied, tried to speak Italian, and played calcio with them -- I even went out a couple of times with one of their younger sisters. Flipped it on those smooth bastards! Ahhhhh, Francesca. I could have worked there the summer after the semester ended, all under the table, hush hush like, but I choked.

I'm in Italy every summer but not sure I could give you a single restaurant by name. I could give you general walking directions, but not the names of the places. Maybe that would be my advice, though. Just wander off in to non-tourist quarters, find the busiest looking place that is tucked in to a nondescript alley. Like Sailor posted earlier, if it looks like there is some kind of special that everyone is getting, order that. Drink wine. Eat. Finish with Grappa or Limoncello.

Back