• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Restaurants in Italy

In Rome, go to the restaurant below and do the wine tasting. Probably my favorite thing we did on our entire trip to Italy
http://www.salumeriaroscioli.com/

In Sorrento, Il Buco is excellent (but pricey).

In Sorrento, be sure to take a boat trip to Capri for the day.

Echoing the others here - try to find somewhere that looks good, looks filled with locals, order the special of the house and enjoy. If they have an English menu, or God forbid - an English website - it's probably not what you were looking for. So much of the fun is not having it planned out detail by detail beforehand. See something you like earlier in the day and return for dinner (and remember - "dinner" is a much later and longer meal than the American version).

Restaurants are different in Italy, they rarely advertise and they are mostly family affairs for locals and friends. If they are openly courting tourists, then just know up front that it will be a very different experience.

Echoing the others here - try to find somewhere that looks good, looks filled with locals, order the special of the house and enjoy. If they have an English menu, or God forbid - an English website - it's probably not what you were looking for. So much of the fun is not having it planned out detail by detail beforehand. See something you like earlier in the day and return for dinner (and remember - "dinner" is a much later and longer meal than the American version).

Restaurants are different in Italy, they rarely advertise and they are mostly family affairs for locals and friends. If they are openly courting tourists, then just know up front that it will be a very different experience.

If someone is out front begging you to come inside, stay the hell away. If they have pictures of their food outside the restaurant, likewise.

Yep. I would go one further and say if they have a website at all, I would probably stay away. It's not like NYC, if you're choosing the restaurant based on yelp ratings, you're probably doing it wrong. But to each their own. Everyone has a different idea of the ideal experience. If your the type of person that doesn't feel comfortable out of your element, then just go with the tourist flow. If you are, find a local agriturismo. It will be memorable.

The MacDonald's at the bottom of the Spanish Steps in Rome is incredible. But plan on arriving early. It's always packed.

One of the most satisfying hamburgers I have ever had was at the McD's across from the Pantheon.

I was in Rome earlier this week. Check out KatieParla.com. She is a food writer that is based in Rome and her writings are in both NY and London Times. Roscioli and Armando al Pantheon are my recommendations

We ate at Antica Osteria da Divo in Siena, and thought it was pretty good. The restaurant is built into a cave, which made for a cool dining experience and it would definitely be romantic for a honeymoon.

Just FYI, we went there twice in the 3 nights we were in Siena, we liked it that much. It helped that it's truffle season so everything was that much better.

We went to a 1 Michelin star place in Sorrento (Il Buco) which was amazing, a 2 Michelin star place in Rome called La Pagliaccio (paid for as a wedding gift) that my wife and I both agree was one of the worst meals we've ever had, and that's not really an exaggeration. Other than that, as others said, I can't really name most of the places we went. We used TripAdvisor a lot, which was very helpful and always right when it came to the reviews from the masses. Lots of gelato, man I love that stuff. I must weigh 10 lbs more than when we left...

Thanks everyone for all the input.

Back