• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

BERLIN (AP) — A member of FIFA's executive committee says awarding the 2022 World Cup to Qatar was a "blatant mistake" and that even moving it to avoid searing summer temperatures wouldn't be ideal.
Former German soccer federation president Theo Zwanziger tells SportBild that a suggestion by FIFA President Sepp Blatter to play the tournament in winter would seriously affect the European leagues and threaten the "unity of German football."
Blatter plans to ask the committee to consider the switch — going back on his previous position of insisting on a summer tournament in a country where the temperature regularly exceeds 100 degrees.
"If this World Cup is to become a party for the people, you can't play football in the summer," Blatter said. "You can cool down the stadiums but you can't cool down the whole country."
Zwanziger said Blatter's U-turn showed that most of the executive committee had voted "against a fair awarding procedure" in giving the World Cup to Qatar in 2010.
The 68-year-old former tax inspector said that rather than rescheduling the tournament, it should be awarded to another country.
"If the decision at the time was really wrong you have to cancel it and avoid burdens on those previously uninvolved," Zwanziger said.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/fifa-member-zwanziger-says-qatar-wcup-mistake

@GrantWahl: USA: Rimando; Parkhurst, Besler, Goodson, Beasley; Beckerman, Holden; Bedoya, Donovan, Torres; Johnson.

Yeah I'm with SD on Corona. Also stunned Holden is playing on the awful Jerryworld turf.

ASN is actually predicting a 1-0 loss after seeing the lineup. Not sure if go that far, but I'm nervous as hell.

Playing Bedoya over Corona and Stu or Mix has to be all about squad rotation. That being said it would be a mistake to look ahead to Sunday Jurgs.

Playing Bedoya over Corona and Stu or Mix has to be all about squad rotation. That being said it would be a mistake to look ahead to Sunday Jurgs.

It's not a fucking league. It is a knockout round. Squad rotation has no place in a tournament once you reach the knockout rounds.

Omar is a curious omission and agree with everyone else about Bedoya over Corona being a huge wtf. I thought Corona was gonna be challenging for a starting place in the WCQs.

It's not a fucking league. It is a knockout round. Squad rotation has no place in a tournament once you reach the knockout rounds.

I meant as far as the major mins that Corona and Mix have played so far. I guess JK wants to have them fresh to start on Sunday.

I prefer Corona as well, but I do think Bedoya provides more width than Corona, who cuts inside quite a bit more.

This is also the first time in the GC the lineup has been listed as a 4-2-3-1 although a 4-4-1-1 is essentially the same thing. Will be interesting to see if there is any difference in tactics

Back