• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

enlighten me. I'd say it's more radical than stupid

I'd be all for retroactive suspensions for diving, but just giving out a yellow won't make a player give a second's though to diving or not.

As for the spot foul for any infringement in the 18 yard box...I almost don't even want to respond because the sheer notion is just so silly. But, the reason the punishment is so harsh in the area is to help the attacking side. Goals draw in higher ratings and attendances. It's the same reason they got rid of the back pass and disallowed throw-ins to the keeper. It is also the reason that FIFA relaxed the offside rule.

I'm fine with post match cards for diving. Silly, but it could definitely help with the antics

Nice.

Brazil-Croatia averaged a 3.2 overnight rating on ESPN, up, 52% from opening match in 2010 & highest overnight World Cup opener ever.

It took about 10 seconds on a video replay to know that call was BS. Have the 4th official look at it, inform the ref, red card and get out. It's not that complex.

I'd be all for retroactive suspensions for diving, but just giving out a yellow won't make a player give a second's though to diving or not.

As for the spot foul for any infringement in the 18 yard box...I almost don't even want to respond because the sheer notion is just so silly. But, the reason the punishment is so harsh in the area is to help the attacking side. Goals draw in higher ratings and attendances. It's the same reason they got rid of the back pass and disallowed throw-ins to the keeper. It is also the reason that FIFA relaxed the offside rule.

meh, I'd rather see a player take a penalty from the corner of the box than a straight on shot from 12 yards out. I'd imagine ratings and attendance are drawn in by goals from the run of play or set pieces than by penalties but maybe that's just me. Also something tells me that the penalty kick wasn't included in the rules to boost ratings.

I also wonder if dampening the severity of the penalty would result in more penalties being rewarded in the box, especially around the edges. It seems like refs are a little more willing to let close calls go in the box because they don't want to award what is essentially a goal for a foul that occurs near the goal line at the edge of the box.

Last edited:
Reactions: ONW
Nice.

Brazil-Croatia averaged a 3.2 overnight rating on ESPN, up, 52% from opening match in 2010 & highest overnight World Cup opener ever.

Impressive bc I'm pretty sure Mexico was in the last opener so you'd think they'd have a lot of viewers here (though maybe ESPN Deportes had a pretty high rating last time? I dunno)

Additionally, I'm amazed by the amount of dissent players get away with these days. NBA players get t'd up for so much less. MLB players get tossed for looking at the ump wrong over a strike/ball call.

It took about 10 seconds on a video replay to know that call was BS. Have the 4th official look at it, inform the ref, red card and get out. It's not that complex.

add that time to injury time I guess? replays are tougher when you have a running clock. trying to determine, for example, if there was contact on a trip/dive could take forever.

Cameroon's XI: Itandje; Djeugoue, Chedjou, Nkoulou, Assou-Ekotto; Mbia, Song, Enoh; Moukandjo, Chopo-Moting; Eto'o

and

Mexico's XI: Ochoa; P.Aguilar, 'Maza', Rafa, H.Moreno, Layún; H.Herrera, Vazquez, Guardado; Oribe, Giovani dos Santos

Friday's must be their easiest day, footballing wise.

What a useless stat...
OptaJohan ‏@OptaJohan 3m
43/3 - The Netherlands have scored 43 goals and conceded only three in their last 12 matches played on a Friday. Party.

don't care, but I still love Rafa Marquez...I mean fuck him for the most part when playing for the Mexicunts, but he was great for Barca. and I love Eto'o. God I miss him.

people don't like hulk?

i was impressed that he's actually built like a real professional athlete

add that time to injury time I guess? replays are tougher when you have a running clock. trying to determine, for example, if there was contact on a trip/dive could take forever.

Absolutely. Goal kicks and substitutions run off at least 45 seconds in comparison because Neymar doesn't want to jog or Howard is milking the clock. Plus they have water breaks built in certain situations...get the call freaking right for a few years, and the players will stop diving (except the Italians).

Last edited:
people don't like hulk?

large_cc-sabathia-indians-facing.jpg

wouldn't mind that either. might keep that kind of crap from happening like was done yesterday.

people don't like hulk?

He's terrible at his chosen profession and hopefully signs with Chelsea for eleventy billion pounds.

Back