• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

wouldn't mind that either. might keep that kind of crap from happening like was done yesterday.

The problem is that there was contact with Fred's shoulder by Lovren. Now, clearly Fred exaggerated the contact and went down like he was shot, but there was contact. So taking that foul being called would start a path of subjectiveness where some guy in the replay booth decides if contact was heavy enough to warrant a foul being called. A dangerous slope, IMO.

I hate that Fred basically cheated and was rewarded, but I would fear corruption of the replay officials even more.

The problem is that there was contact with Fred's shoulder by Lovren. Now, clearly Fred exaggerated the contact and went down like he was shot, but there was contact. So taking that foul being called would start a path of subjectiveness where some guy in the replay booth decides if contact was heavy enough to warrant a foul being called. A dangerous slope, IMO.

I hate that Fred basically cheated and was rewarded, but I would fear corruption of the replay officials even more.

True, but at least they can make that decision in slow-mo from multiple angles. They are called subjectively now anyway.

people don't like hulk?

i was impressed that he's actually built like a real professional athlete

Uh, ok.

18f13q9ollx8vjpg.jpg

andre-smith.jpg

gareth-bale-shirt-off-h1n-net-660x768.jpg

Last edited:
gonna be great with all the yucksters checking in for a month about how soccer's not a sport

I get the point but there was no subjectiveness in determining that was not a foul yesterday. The worry about corruption is real. Give 2-3 officials 30 seconds to review it, unless they all overturn the call it stands. If it's not obvious to multiple people at first glance then let the call on the field stand. That's my biggest pet peeve with replay in basketball. Replay in any sport should only exist to correct blatantly missed calls, not judgments by the refs.

wouldn't mind that either. might keep that kind of crap from happening like was done yesterday.

what happened yesterday very well will come back to bite brazil in the ass. referee's are going to be much more sensitive about appearing to hand them the benefit of the doubt going forward. the entire planet is in an uproar.

what happened yesterday very well will come back to bite brazil in the ass. referee's are going to be much more sensitive about appearing to hand them the benefit of the doubt going forward. the entire planet is in an uproar.

I think that will be true for every team to be honest. Every ref will have that call and subsequent uproar in the back of their minds throughout the tournament. It's going to have to be a blatant penalty to get called going forward.

I think that will be true for every team to be honest. Every ref will have that call and subsequent uproar in the back of their minds throughout the tournament. It's going to have to be a blatant penalty to get called going forward.

Good. A ref should be 100% certain of a foul to call a penalty.

Good stat...

In WCQ matches when Cameroon scored first they didn't drop any points from that winning position; while when Mexico conceded first they didn't gain any points from that losing position.

First goal vital by that evidence.

guys come on, you have to admit that hulk doesn't look like your average soccer player

i know my initial comment was a bit of a troll, apologies

Good. A ref should be 100% certain of a foul to call a penalty.

Agreed. I think it will be a good thing.

*Waits for star player to get a second yellow or yellow suspension for diving when contact was obvious*

Mexico looking very good early. Their wing backs are providing the needed width and they are getting in behind Cameroon as a result.

Back