• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

A point is a point, we now control our destiny which I guess is a good thing.

Panama going to be tough to break down if they get a W tonight. Only conceded two goals on the road thus far in the hex. Possess the ball well generally.

Could use Mex getting at least a point in CR tonight as well to keep Ticos' heads in the game in October

What the FUCKING FUCK is a head coozie?
Some might call it a bandana
5a9bc86ac90411294d84bae61cb448e4.jpg
448712dc17e209ae78d75b4d57fff17c.jpg

You guys, we did it. We went down to mighty Honduras, who has played in the last two World Cups, and we STOLE A POINT! Against all odds. I can't believe we pulled it off.

(is this working?)

You guys, we did it. We went down to mighty Honduras, who has played in the last two World Cups, and we STOLE A POINT! Against all odds. I can't believe we pulled it off.

(is this working?)

This misses the point. If we were taking care of business at home and had earned 3 points each against CR and mexico as we have in past qualifying campaigns, grinding out a point at Honduras and at Panama would be just fine. Away qualifiers in concacaf will always be a struggle and will never be pretty.

It was a joke. I'm well aware of how World Cup qualifying works. I've been watching since the campaign that saw us qualify for Italy (and subsequently had a WF classmate and guy I used to play with represent the US in Italy)

Thanks for playing along

It was a joke. I'm well aware of how World Cup qualifying works. I've been watching since the campaign that saw us qualify for Italy (and subsequently had a WF classmate and guy I used to play with represent the US in Italy)

Thanks for playing along

I knew it was a joke, I just interpreted it as one based on dissatisfaction with the result. Like you, I've been following qualifying since the 1990 WC.

I honestly believe that even if our talent level were to reach the level of the world's elite, we would still struggle with away games in places like Honduras. The quality of the pitch combined with the leniency of the refs who let these teams use their physicality to take away any ability to actually pass the ball, leaves these games looking more like a Pulis style slug fest than an actual game of football.

How good is that dude who get a red for Honduras? Will his loss affect their next match?

They play @Costa Rica who haven't fully secured qualification yet. With Figueroa or not, Honduras should never win that match. They then finish with Mexico at home. The absolute max for Honduras on the final match day is 4, but they're realistically looking at 3, 1, or 0. Even if they end up with 4, a win at home vs. Panama would at least lock us into the playoff on goal differential, Trinidad match not withstanding. The Hex is a joke.

Costa Rica basically has qualified. Only way they wouldn't is if Honduras and either the US or Panama wins out, and Honduras overturns a 14-goal disadvantage over CR. Not happening.

I do worry slightly CR and Mex may do Hon a solid in October. Let's win our damn games and assume the worst is gonna happen in the others

So a win vs. Panama and a tie vs. T&T gets us:

In the top 3: unless Panama beats CR by two more goals than we beat them (or scores 6 more goals against CR than we score against them) OR Honduras wins out

In the playoff: unless Panama beats CR by two more goals than we beat them (or scores 6 more goals against CR than we score against them) AND Honduras wins out

So unless Costa Rica decides to completely throw its last two games then a win vs Panama and a tie at T&T should get the job done. If we can't do that then we shouldn't be in the World Cup anyways.

For a commentator/analyst his criticism was weak/amateur. He needs to be better, it's just not good enough. And if he can't do it, he needs to leave and we should find someone who can.

Seriously, maybe in the full interview he went into more detail, but Gomez was right. Lalas is making himself the center of attention and adding nothing to the conversation. He sounds like a fan who has never played, not a World Cup veteran analyst.

Back