• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Are they playing on astroturf? Field seems slick (I've seen 3 players slip in about 5 minutes).

Because he’s the best option on the roster for that position?

He's fine in these type of games where we are playing inferior opposition and dominate the ball. He can play as a deep play maker and has time to ping balls around the field, with very little defensive responsibilities. Its when he has to chase and make quick decisions on the ball, that his now limited athleticism is a liability.

I'm so tired of Gyasi Zardes. Make it stop.

Its at least 3-0 by now if any other ST in the pool is playing tonight. Zardes just plain sucks. No idea how Berhalter turned him into a volume scorer last season. Hopefully Greg moves on after this abysmal effort.

I am intrigued by this hybrid RCM/RB position that Nick Lima is playing tonight. Defends out wide, but pushes in and plays as a RCM on attack. Definitely see what Twellman is talking about and how its perfectly tailored to Tyler Adams. Wouldn't mind seeing that rolled out against the early round minnows of the Gold Cup this summer.

2-0 on a beautiful cross from Lima that Zimmerman hammers home.

understanding a lot will change, who on this roster has a good shot at playing WC 2022?

understanding a lot will change, who on this roster has a good shot at playing WC 2022?

Its so far away, who knows. Acosta got sent home from camp and didn't make the game roster, when I would have thought coming in that he and Arriola (who came off the bench) would have been the only guaranteed starters in the MF.

Steffen will most likely be there in Goal, and Long has risen quickly to the top 3-4 CBs in the pool, but outside of that it's kind of a crap shoot. Berhalter's system really wants a #10, so I could definitely see Djorge making a case for playing time with the "full" NT sooner rather than later.

Quite a few with a “good shot”, IMO. But that’s 3 years away and these are mostly fringe players, so impossible to tell. Steffan will be GK1 moving forward, so sharpie him in. Probably Long as well. He seems to have established himself as an A team defender for this cycle. That CAM that scored the opener was getting a ton of press as a teenager before tearing his knee, looks to be back in form. I could see him going oversees after this MLS season.

Its so far away, who knows. Acosta got sent home from camp and didn't make the game roster, when I would have thought coming in that he and Arriola (who came off the bench) would have been the only guaranteed starters in the MF.

Steffen will most likely be there in Goal, and Long has risen quickly to the top 3-4 CBs in the pool, but outside of that it's kind of a crap shoot. Berhalter's system really wants a #10, so I could definitely see Djorge making a case for playing time with the "full" NT sooner rather than later.

Quite a few with a “good shot”, IMO. But that’s 3 years away and these are mostly fringe players, so impossible to tell. Steffan will be GK1 moving forward, so sharpie him in. Probably Long as well. He seems to have established himself as an A team defender for this cycle. That CAM that scored the opener was getting a ton of press as a teenager before tearing his knee, looks to be back in form. I could see him going oversees after this MLS season.

Lol nice

If Zimmerman didn't get caught ball watching once, twice or thrice a game, he would be a nice CB option. As it is, I just can't trust him.

Sure, this was a Panama B/C team and it was a January match...but Lima and Mihailovic really impressed, Baird was good at times, and sorry MB4 haters...but he was the man tonight. Anytime there was trouble, it was "get the ball to Michael."

Can't decide if it's concerning or exciting that there seems to be such uncertainty outside of Pulisic, Steffen, and ?
Feels like there is a pool of about 50 players always floating in and out of the mix- shouldn't there be a more defined group by now?

Can't decide if it's concerning or exciting that there seems to be such uncertainty outside of Pulisic, Steffen, and ?
Feels like there is a pool of about 50 players always floating in and out of the mix- shouldn't there be a more defined group by now?

The group is pretty defined, IMO. At least the starters. When healthy, I think the players below are all locks and almost guaranteed to start (depending on formation and tactics)

F- Altidore, Sargent, Wood
M- Pulisic, Adams, Mckinnie, Bradley, Weah
D- Brooks, Long, Yedlin
K- Steffan

That's a decent core to start with. I still think we're weak on the wings and need a left back, but not many "question marks" outside of those positions, as far as starters go. The "core" of the subs is pretty established as well.

F- whoever doesnt start from above
M- 1 or 2 from above, Morales, LLeget, Dest
D- Ream, Miazga, CCV, Cameron, Robinson, Fabian?, Villafana
K- Horvath

if Ike Opara stays healthy, any chance he could get a shot?

Doubtful. Bad time for a 29 year old defender to come into the fold. Only 1 cap ever for the NT and the CB pool is as deep as it's ever been with fringe starters. He'd literally have to be a top 3 CB in the pool to even get considered, don't see it happening. Injuries destroyed his NT career.

if Ike Opara stays healthy, any chance he could get a shot?

In all honestly, he's pretty far down the list of CBs at this point: Brooks, Miazga, Cameron, Long, CCV, Zimmerman...he's got a pretty decent list of young guys and a couple vets to jump past.

The group is pretty defined, IMO. At least the starters. When healthy, I think the players below are all locks and almost guaranteed to start (depending on formation and tactics)

F- Altidore, Sargent, Wood
M- Pulisic, Adams, Mckinnie, Bradley, Weah
D- Brooks, Long, Yedlin
K- Steffan

That's a decent core to start with. I still think we're weak on the wings and need a left back, but not many "question marks" outside of those positions, as far as starters go. The "core" of the subs is pretty established as well.

F- whoever doesnt start from above
M- 1 or 2 from above, Morales, LLeget, Dest
D- Ream, Miazga, CCV, Cameron, Robinson, Fabian?, Villafana
K- Horvath

Pretty reasonable. Let's not get too far ahead on analysis of the game vs the Panama E team as anybody would've looked good against that bunch( including Bradley, who was good for a change). Let's hope Costa Rica gives a better opponent and more to think about going forward. 3-4-3 is intriguing if it survives against stronger opponents. John Lewis showed 10 seconds of brilliance. Is there more of that? Please no more Zardes, and just keep looking for another quality number 9 for when Jozy gets injured again. Add Shaq Moore to the what if list at D.

Back