• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

He's Turkish?

Nah, Emre is German. He's from Frankfurt and has over 20 caps.

I think he's been in and out for Juve. He would help Germany a lot defensively, though. He never kicked on like I thought he might at Liverpool, but I think there is probably a lot of value in having units who can move a bit in midfield that doesn't show up in counting (or even underlying) stats. He never hides, great mentality, and all that. There's a reason Juve wanted him and is paying him a ton.

Emre is one of my favorite players. I made the argument many times he was a better player than Henderson or Wijnaldum, but it has always been tough on eye test to see what he does well. Stats do actually help his case. He pressured better than both of them, progressed play (xGchain, completed passes into the box) better than Gini, and never got dispossessed.

Nah, Emre is German. He's from Frankfurt and has over 20 caps.

I think he's been in and out for Juve. He would help Germany a lot defensively, though. He never kicked on like I thought he might at Liverpool, but I think there is probably a lot of value in having units who can move a bit in midfield that doesn't show up in counting (or even underlying) stats. He never hides, great mentality, and all that. There's a reason Juve wanted him and is paying him a ton.

Sorry, I meant because he has Turkish roots. Germans haven't all been comfortable with Turks representing them recently. Somewhat similar to US fans saying German-Americans aren't really US players.

Ah, gotcha. Yeah, it has been touchy with them recently, especially since Ozil called them out. That could be it.

True but he was one the first ones to be associated with the creation of this roster when was first announced. I think Breda even released a tweet or announcement about it. Then he isn't on the squad. Weird.

Anyways, I'm actually pretty excited for tonight. Although I see that Cordero and that dumbasses that run US Soccer priced the general public out of tickets again, so they are only expecting 10-15K. In a MLS stadium which can get packed and raucous. I hate the USSF so much sometimes.

Really disappointed at this. I was going to take my 5 and 9 year old but at $48 per ticket for the lowest priced actual seat (as opposed to general standing) they effectively priced us out. Sad that we will watch at home, when the game is going to be played just a few miles away...

I mean its either Zardes or Ramirez from LAFC. They are the only two CFs on the rosters.

No real surprises outside of Trapp over Bradley. I really think Ream can excel in the L/CB role. Its perfect for him. Looking forward to seeing Long and Brooks together too. Guessing Johnson starting tonight means Horvath starts against Chile. Steffen pulled out due to a minor injury. Hope that doesn't effect his work permit application this summer.

GO GO USA

Shit, I'd rather see Corey Baird up there. At least it would be something different. And Arriola can play up top in this kind of system.

Game is on ESPN2 for those looking for it.

Not impressed with Arriola so far. Would like to see Pulisic moved out left, and Lletget in the left CAM role in the second half. Arriola hasn't done jack with 3 or 4 1v1 opportunities.

I get where BG is coming from with the movement, but this is such a small window to implement. I don’t think the players have had enough repetitions as to when to switch the attack. Seems like the switch is going through the back line when a long ball is what would spring the flanks to get the ball behind the defense. I’m still not sure the system would work against a better defensive side, but we aren’t even close to having a fluid movement in switching. Still, this XI has the talent to play very well in small spaces and can create without any doubt.

I think I’ve seen enough of Morris at that position. We have a lot better options.

Jesus Christ, Pulisic just skinned that kid in the corner. Oof.

Boy I hope McKennie didn’t do damage to his ankle. That was really awkward and he looked like he was in a fair amount of pain

For better or worst I see a lot of 0-0 in the @USMNT's future

Also I still can't figure out why Morris (who plays LW for Seattle) was on the right, and Arriola (who plays RM for DC) was on the left.

Back