• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

I think the argument could be made (and won) that the U-23 forward pool is > the USMNT forward pool for their respective camps. Ebobisse and Sargent up top will be extremely fun to watch.

And then you have Weah and Wright on the bench? That's a damn strong roster up top

Random question. Does Jozy Altidore have any connection to WF, athletic, academic, otherwise? Wiki not detailed enough. Sociology project. thx.

I think the argument could be made (and won) that the U-23 forward pool is > the USMNT forward pool for their respective camps. Ebobisse and Sargent up top will be extremely fun to watch.

And then you have Weah and Wright on the bench? That's a damn strong roster up top

In potential, sure, but none of those guys have done anything consistent on a club/senior level to this point. They're in great spots to develop, but they need minutes and only Sabbi is really starting.

Didn't most on here scream "fire Jurgen" for decisions like this? :couch:

The difference is the Jurgen didn't have a system. He'd just chop and change players and tactics without giving much thought or instruction. See the Costa Rica match where we went to a 3 CBs and players had to come over to the bench during the match to ask basic tactical questions.

Berhalter seems to be much more of thinker and planner. Which is great. I also agree that Adams will do a fantastic job in the RB/CDM role, but was so impressed with Lima that I want to see him get run out at DM too. Although I think Berhalter wants someone there with a much wider passing range, like Bradley or Trapp.

I honestly have no idea if his system will work against better opposition, and I'm a little worried that its going to lead to a lot of slow and meaningless possession, but I'm willing to give him a chance.

Jurgen took guys that had no business playing out wide, and played them out wide. Adams is young, has pace, can run all day. No, it's not his natural position, but he's not physically incapable of staying with wing players with speed and quickness.

Kinda reminds me of playing Mexico in 2002 World Cup and Arena putting Reyna at right back for tactical reasons. Worked out ok.

I'm thinking about heading over to Natty Greenes tomorrow night for the match/NCAA/Canes vs. Lightning if anyone around the 336 wants to join

And here's his first roster

GOALKEEPERS (2): Jonathan Klinsmann (Hertha BSC/GER; Newport Beach, Calif.), JT Marcinkowski (San Jose Earthquakes; Alamo, Calif.)

DEFENDERS (9): Julian Araujo (LA Galaxy; Lompac, Calif.), Cameron Carter-Vickers (Swansea City/WAL; Southend-on-Sea, England), Marco Farfan (Portland Timbers; Portland, Ore.), Jack Maher (Indiana; Caseyville, Ill.), Matthew Olosunde (Manchester United/ENG; Trenton, N.J.), Donovan Pines (D.C. United; Clarksville, Md.), Lucas Pos (FC Lausanne-Sport/SUI; Irvine, Calif.), Antonee Robinson (Wigan Athletic/ENG; Milton Keyes, England), Miles Robinson (Atlanta United FC; Arlington, Mass.)

MIDFIELDERS (6): Derrick Jones (Philadelphia Union; Philadelphia, Penn.), Cameron Lindley (Orlando City SC; Carmel, Ind.), Djordje Mihailovic (Chicago Fire; Lemont, Ill.), Keaton Parks (New York City FC; Plano, Texas), Eryk Williamson (Portland Timbers; Alexandria, Va.), Jackson Yueill (San Jose Earthquakes; St. Paul, Minn.)

FORWARDS (6): Jeremy Ebobisse (Portland Timbers; Bethesda, Md.), Josh Perez (LAFC; La Habra, Calif.), Emmanuel Sabbi (Hobro IK/DEN; Columbus, Ohio), Josh Sargent (Werder Bremen/GER; O'Fallon, MO), Tim Weah (Celtic FC/SCO; Rosedale, N.Y.), Haji Wright (Schalke/GER; Los Angeles, Calif.)

I'd like to think we see Wright, Sargent, and Weah on the field together as a top 3 with Wright as the 9. I don't know if that leaves our mids too exposed as the biggest question mark, but I'd like to think our back 4 are pretty damn strong.

----------Marcinkowski----------
Olosunde-CCV-Miles-Antonee
---Milailovic---Parks---Jones---
Weah-----Wright-----Sargent

A few out injured or being held back for club, but that team would score some goals.

Because he’s the best option on the roster for that position?

I'm so tired of Gyasi Zardes. Make it stop.

I'd like to think we see Wright, Sargent, and Weah on the field together as a top 3 with Wright as the 9. I don't know if that leaves our mids too exposed as the biggest question mark, but I'd like to think our back 4 are pretty damn strong.

----------Marcinkowski----------
Olosunde-CCV-Miles-Antonee
---Milailovic---Parks---Jones---
Weah-----Wright-----Sargent

A few out injured or being held back for club, but that team would score some goals.

Any word on why Erik Palmer Brown is out? I agree that its a strong squad though.

I wasn’t always his biggest fan while he was at Anfield, but it has to go deeper than skill or performance that Emre Can isn’t getting Germany call ups.

Pretty sure Palmer-Brown's issue is that he really hasn't been playing for Breda.

True but he was one the first ones to be associated with the creation of this roster when was first announced. I think Breda even released a tweet or announcement about it. Then he isn't on the squad. Weird.

Anyways, I'm actually pretty excited for tonight. Although I see that Cordero and that dumbasses that run US Soccer priced the general public out of tickets again, so they are only expecting 10-15K. In a MLS stadium which can get packed and raucous. I hate the USSF so much sometimes.

Back