• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

17 year old creative MF Caden Clark - 97 minutes, 2 goals
32 year old DP striker Javier Hernandez - 652 minutes, 1 goal

I was being a bit facetious but I thought he had a brief stopover in the Detroit area as part of his refugee journey

I think I'm mixing him up with Ayo Akinola though who was born in Detroit before moving to Canada as a kid

I was being a bit facetious but I thought he had a brief stopover in the Detroit area as part of his refugee journey

I think I'm mixing him up with Ayo Akinola though who was born in Detroit before moving to Canada as a kid

Ahh yeah - Akinola has represented the US. He's had some stretches of brilliance this year in Toronto, but still inconsistent. I think Canada and Nigeria are both after him.

This morning I learned that Caden Clark's mom and sister (who plays college soccer at WVU) are both smoke shows. You gotta love Twitter.

https://www.instagram.com/iamstacieclark/?hl=en - his mom's IG - from her Twitter bio - she was responding to posts about her son's development, she's a personal trainer

After a brief investigation this morning, I can confirm Brasky's findings.

This morning I learned that Caden Clark's mom and sister (who plays college soccer at WVU) are both smoke shows. You gotta love Twitter.

https://www.instagram.com/iamstacieclark/?hl=en - his mom's IG - from her Twitter bio - she was responding to posts about her son's development, she's a personal trainer

I had never seen either before this post, so here's my #analysis. Sister is an absolute worldie, mom is a 1 but the lip job isn't my thing.

I had never seen either before this post, so here's my #analysis. Sister is an absolute worldie, mom is a 1 but the lip job isn't my thing.

This is fair analysis - also I just had the realization that I'm most certainly closer in age to his mom, than the player himself. Which is a real kick in the nuts to my forever young persona.

$6M fee with $3M in "probable" add-ons

And its an ideal place to play, CL football with an American manager at a club that sells 3-4 players to bigger Euro clubs every year.

Great move for Aaronson and the Union who get to keep him through the playoffs. I hope Mark McKenzie (former Deac) is next. Listened to his interview on the MLS Extratime podcast last night and he is very well spoken and seemed confident of a move to a "bigger Euro" club soon. Their manager has come and said both are ready to play in Europe now.

Jurgen haters punching air right now with all the kids moving to Europe

I'd welcome Jurgen back tomorrow in a technical director role. His vision of what US Soccer could look like, and how best to succeed, was spot on. He'd also ruffle the feathers of the yes men that run USSF and that would be great with me.

I just never want to watch him coach again.

Also GGG is really growing on me. Saying all the right things about players moving abroad, and seems to have finally dropped this inverted fullback BS and wants to play Adams as a CDM or CM now. Here's my 2021 WCQ Depth chart with us playing a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 (which GB wants to play).

QbGn5g0.png

Sebastian Lletget probably deserves some consideration but the Galaxy are so bad right now, tand I see Aaronson passing him as the backup #10. I also really like Eryk Williamson of Portland and think he's the closest thing we have to a backup for Weston at the box-to-box #8 in the pool right now.

*Altidore should be #17, but I originally had Sargent starting there who will most likely be given the #9

Last edited:
I'd welcome Jurgen back tomorrow in a technical director role. His vision of what US Soccer could look like, and how best to succeed, was spot on. He'd also ruffle the feathers of the yes men that run USSF and that would be great with me.

I just never want to watch him coach again.

Also GGG is really growing on me. Saying all the right things about players moving abroad, and seems to have finally dropped this inverted winger BS and wants to play Adams as a CDM or CM now. Here's my 2021 WCQ Depth chart with us playing a 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 (which GB wants to play).

QbGn5g0.png

Sebastian Lletget probably deserves some consideration but the Galaxy are so bad right now, that I see Aaronson passing him as the backup #10. I also really like Eryk Williamson of Portland and think he's the closest thing we have to a backup for Weston at the box-to-box #8 in the pool right now.

Not bad. I think that's pretty close on what we know today. Obviously some kids could come out of nowhere like the last 18 months and blow that chart up.

I do think Jozy and Ream get left at home. Jozy is hurt again and not producing in MLS. In the past, he's consistently produced despite injury. He's on the outside looking in IMO. Also, I see no point in taking Ream if our goal is building for 2026. He'll be 35 I think, bring a 20 year old like that Kobe Fernandez kid who will be a key player in 2026.

Sargent, Morris, Weah, ?????, ??????
Pulisic, Reyna, Adams, McKennie, Yueill, Pomykal, Aaronson, Cardoso?
Dest, Cannon, Robinson, Brooks, Richards, McKenzie, ??????
Steffan, Turner, Johnson/Horvath

I'm sure I forgot an obvious player or two. Biggest hole is obviously FWD. If no youngster steps up the Zardes is getting the call.

Forgot about Konrad, obviously he hasn't proven anything yet, but fringe Barca A team has to count for something since we're still 2 years out from Qatar

I don't think it's farfetched to say that in our lifetime, with the way things look right now, 2026 will be the best chance we have to see USMNT lift the cup.

Sure, maybe this is the new norm for US soccer as we see a shift from kids playing football to soccer (do the stats even support this?), and we are world-beaters in 2040 and beyond, but that's silly to even think about.

Back