• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Chris Richards got the start at RB for Bayern today and has an assist. Could work out well for him that Dest chose Barcelona.

Richards and Dest getting first team minutes is so huge for us in terms of having some serious young talent in the back to build around. Then you add in young guys like Robinson (got his first EPL minutes with Fulham this past weekend), McKenzie (Go Deacs!), Palmer-Brown, Cannon, maybe CCV gets his career going at some point...add in some vets like Brooks, maybe Yedlin, maybe Miazga if he ever gets it together.... Might have some solid options back there, and god willing a little depth.

Said this to my friend in the car yesterday. I hate that term, because I have no idea what it means or how to define it, but yeah, seems right.

euro-2008-champion-1467312112-800.jpg

Yeah that's what comes to mind.

Didn't Mexico have a golden generation that won the U-17, U-20, and Olympics? Seems like it pretty much ended there, if so.

Watched the first 30 mins of ENG-BEL since DCL is starting and god is this team boring. CM pairing of Henderson and Rice is static and slow, Rashford and Mount aren't creative enough on the wings, so they've already resorted to just lumping to DCL. Also Eric Dier is not a good CB. He's too slow and makes poor decisions, gave away a terrible penalty to Lukaku. They have to play Walker at RCB because of how turgid Maguire and Dier are.

USMNT to face Wales in Wales and Australia at Craven Cottage in November per....Sergino Dest

USMNT to face Wales in Wales and Australia at Craven Cottage in November per....Sergino Dest

Haha saw that, the Wales friendly has been rumored for awhile. It will have to be a Euro based squad with COVID travel restrictions and MLS playoffs going on at the same time. My guess at a Euro roster because I really don't want to grade projects right now:

FWD: Sargent, Weah, Soto, Pulisic, Reyna, Gioacchini, Sabbi
MID: McKennie, Adams, Morales, Holmes, Ledezma, Mendez, Cajuste
DEF: Dest, Yedlin, Robinson, Ream, Brooks, Richards, Miazga, CCV, EPB
GK: Steffen, Horvath

Nico Gioacchini - 20 year old forward starting at Ligue 2 Caen, born in KC to Italian father and Jamaican mother - played at very young US youth level, Jamaica is trying to poach him
Jens Cajuste - 20 year DM starting at FC Midtjylland (who are in CL) - has played for Swedish U21 and U19 wants to switch to US, left Swedish camp to do so last week - dad is American and he holds passport but actually grew up in China and Sweden, brother played basketball at Syracuse - timeline of eligibility unclear

Haha saw that, the Wales friendly has been rumored for awhile. It will have to be a Euro based squad with COVID travel restrictions and MLS playoffs going on at the same time. My guess at a Euro roster because I really don't want to grade projects right now:

FWD: Sargent, Weah, Soto, Pulisic, Reyna, Gioacchini, Sabbi
MID: McKennie, Adams, Morales, Holmes, Ledezma, Mendez, Cajuste
DEF: Dest, Yedlin, Robinson, Ream, Brooks, Richards, Miazga, CCV, EPB
GK: Steffen, Horvath

Nico Gioacchini - 20 year old forward starting at Ligue 2 Caen, born in KC to Italian father and Jamaican mother - played at very young US youth level, Jamaica is trying to poach him
Jens Cajuste - 20 year DM starting at FC Midtjylland (who are in CL) - has played for Swedish U21 and U19 wants to switch to US, left Swedish camp to do so last week - dad is American and he holds passport but actually grew up in China and Sweden, brother played basketball at Syracuse - timeline of eligibility unclear

Looks pretty close. I'd swap out Weah for the Iceman just so Tim can keep building with the club to get that starting spot back. Johannsson deserves a call back with something like 8 in his last 10? Still only 29 years old and our forward pool isn't exactly burning anything down.

Looks pretty close. I'd swap out Weah for the Iceman just so Tim can keep building with the club to get that starting spot back. Johannsson deserves a call back with something like 8 in his last 10? Still only 29 years old and our forward pool isn't exactly burning anything down.

Good point, I meant to include him. Your boy could serve as a super sub type for the remainder of this cycle. Also this is a one off camp for every age group so I wouldn’t be surprised to see like 30 players called in.

Official US Soccer / World Cup 2022 Thread (#GoldenGeneration)

Also forgot Konrad at Barca and Reggie Cannon, who’s in Portugal now and has started since arriving. Both will definitely get called in.

So many young Euro based Americans, exciting times.

Last edited:
Forgot Llanez too, who’s on loan at Herenveen - I’ll stop now but I’m sure there is someone else

Apparently we have starlets just coming out of the woodwork now, what is going on with American soccer?

Caden Clark, 17, NY Redbulls (will be joining RB Leipzig in 2022). 2 appearances off the bench in the past week, 2 rockets.

Back