• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Understanding that as members of the national team, these guys have accomplished next to nothing, it's hard not to be excited about the growth we're seeing on the club level from our young talent.

I'm assuming that Berhalter remains wedded to the 4-3-3 even though there aren't great options for the deep lying central role. Anyway, this team has a chance to be pretty good:

-----------Steffen---------------
Dest--Long?--Brooks--Robinson
--Adams --Yueill??--- McKennie
Renya/Weah--Sargent-- Pulisic

Understanding that as members of the national team, these guys have accomplished next to nothing, it's hard not to be excited about the growth we're seeing on the club level from our young talent.

I'm assuming that Berhalter remains wedded to the 4-3-3 even though there aren't great options for the deep lying central role. Anyway, this team has a chance to be pretty good:

-----------Steffen---------------
Dest--Long?--Brooks--Robinson
--Adams --Yueill??--- McKennie
Renya/Weah--Sargent-- Pulisic

Wait what? Is Adams not absolutely perfect for that role?

Wait what? Is Adams not absolutely perfect for that role?

He's versatile enough to play almost anywhere but I see Adams as more box to box than sitting deeper distributing. It's a small sample size but I don't think Berhalter has used him in that central deep lying role. He's always used either Bradley, Yueill, or Trapp I think.

I think Adams and Yueill will rotate at the #6 in the short term depending on opposition. Adams against superior teams, Yueill when we want to dominate possession. Whoever is healthy and in form between Duane Holmes, Sebastian Lletget, and Paxton Pomykal can push for time at CM alongside McKennie and Adams. I just don't see it with Roldan and I think MB4 is finished.

As to the CBs I think Aaron Long's days are numbered. He's a solid defender and athlete, but provides very little on the ball. Look for one of Miles Robinson, Chris Richards or (Wake alumni) Mark McKenzie to contend for starting minutes soon. McKenzie has been excellent since the return and is drawing interest from Anderlecht, Celtic and a few German clubs. Miazga, CCV and Erik Palmer-Brown also contending for call ups but i think they've missed their window to breakout. Tim Ream gets kept around for depth and eventually pushed out next summer. Robinson, Dest and Cannon will complete for the two FB spots.

Today I still think Altidore gets the call over Sargent, but Josh is receiving really good reports in pre-season and looks to be a starter for Bremen this season. I can see him taking Jozy's spot soon. Zardes provides cover. Pulisic is penciled in at LW, and Morris, Reyna and Weah are battle for the other spot. Konrad de la Fuente recently became the first American to make Barca's first team match day roster. Doubtful he breaks through this season, but he'll most likely get loaned out to La Liga or Second Divison Spanish side. Brendan Aaronson will get a look too, possibly at CM if he gets a little stronger and nastier. Arriola maybe stays around for depth and grit when he returns from injury.

Also keep an eye on Greensboro's own Gianluca Busio, who is 18 and is starting regularly for Sporting KC. He was recently moved from an attacking mid/forward role where he struggled, to the #6 and his first couple games have been a revelation. Still a year or two away from really pushing for USMNT minutes but he has an Italian passport and Serie A teams were already interested before the position change. He's spraying balls all the over the place, is winning duels and tackles consistently, and scored this beauty the other night.

Last edited:
All that being said we potentially have four tournaments next summer. Start of WC Qualifying (new nickname the Ocho since its now 8 teams), Olympics (U23 + 3 overage), Gold Cup and U20 World Cup. So we may end up seeing the entire damn player pool. One of the guys from the Scuffed podcast (which I highly recommend) took a crack at projecting each tourney's roster. If you want to get deeeeep into the roster pool give it a read. They walk through it on their August 20ish episode.

a couple other MLS guys that might get camp calls are Chris Mueller and Ayo Akinola

Opening round of qualifying delayed until March 2021, which will in turn push back the start of the Octo. First WCQs for the US probably not happening until Fall of next year at the earliest.

If CONCACAF wasn't a bunch of money grubbing whores they'd cancel the Gold Cup and use that window to knock out a bunch of the early Ocho qualifiers

Reggie Cannon leaving FC Dallas for Boavista in Portugal.

Reggie Cannon leaving FC Dallas for Boavista in Portugal.

One to keep an eye on. Guy has a lot of potential as an outside back that could be in the mix for us. Hope he gets good experience and playing time there.

Official US Soccer / World Cup 2022 Thread

Boavista has recently been purchased by the newish owner of Lille, with the plan being that it will be a feeder team for the French side. Cannon could very easily be playing at Lille in a season or two, they currently have Celik at RB who will probably be sold on for a big profit next summer.

Boavista has recently been purchased by the newish owner of Lille, with the plan being that it will be a feeder team for the French side. Cannon could very easily be playing at Lille in a season or two, they currently have Celik at RB who will probably be sold on for a big profit next summer.

Plus they've got a guy named Timothy Weah who can hopefully avoid hamstring injuries and stay on the field this year.

BTW, we have had very little success with Americans going to Portugal and doing well. Altidore, Keaton Parks, Onyewu was there a year, Kirovski.... Maybe there's more I'm not thinking, but none of those players got better or advanced their careers in Portugal.

Official US Soccer / World Cup 2022 Thread

Plus they've got a guy named Timothy Weah who can hopefully avoid hamstring injuries and stay on the field this year.

BTW, we have had very little success with Americans going to Portugal and doing well. Altidore, Keaton Parks, Onyewu was there a year, Kirovski.... Maybe there's more I'm not thinking, but none of those players got better or advanced their careers in Portugal.

Adu was at Benfica, Altidore at Villarreal in Spain

But your point is taken. Boavista is not a traditional top 3 side so it will be a worrying sign if Cannon isn’t playing regularly fairly soon.

And yeah man Lille seem to be all in on the CONCACAF train. Besides Weah, who they are looking at playing the #9, they purchased an 18 year old Mexican prospect this summer in addition to splashing big cash on Canadian attacker Jonathan David who tore it up in Belgian.

I would love them to start becoming an outlet for our young talent. The French league is steadily improving and has the best young domestic talent in the world. As good as Germany has been to us it will help to diversify. Especially as an alternative to rotting away at a Sky Six English club who’s paying too high of first team wages to #playtheirkids.

Weah actually played a week or two ago. Let's see how long he can stay fit. So much promise but constant injuries.

20 yo Anthony Fontana on Philly has shown some serious skill tonight with a brace. Think he played with the U20's a couple years ago.

Twitter seems to be suggesting that Barca and Bayern are competing to get Sergino Dest?!

Back