• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

My beef isn't with Boyd even, he's just the representation of the real issue. Klinsmann has said repeatedly that players need to be playing to be considered. That's cool, I have no issues with that idea, and it makes perfect sense. He's also been pushing for players to get to clubs in more competitive leagues, especially ones that can provide Champions League experience. Again, nothing wrong with wanting that. Why then has he given call-ups to Alfredo Morales and Terrence Boyd, two players who at the time of their calls had a grand total of 1 first team appearance in their careers combined. Meanwhile, we have a midfielder who, admittedly, stagnated in MLS after starting strong. He made a move to a top team in a middle-tier European league and fought his way into the starting lineup. His team is in European play still, and he's even contributed goals in that tournament. Yet he can't get a look for some reason. That message is inconsistent, especially since there are similar players that have a certain similarity to the coach who keep getting called in.

If Boyd had really been tearing it up everyone he's gone, he wouldn't be playing for us. He's done very well in the German 4th division. If he was tearing it up everywhere, he'd be getting minutes for Dortmund instead of getting left out of the 18 entirely. He's even been quoted recently saying he's having real tough times keeping up at practice.

I could make a very good argument that Charlie Davies is more deserving of a look, and I don't think he has any business being on the team right now. Potential doesn't mean shit right now. Boyd certainly could be very good, but he's not there yet. Let's see him play more than zero first team professional games before giving him a call into the senior national team.

Don't believe

some of these are reposts. just play along please

(rumored)
RM12front2.jpg

RM12segunda.jpg

Mil12front2.jpg

England Home
ING12front.jpg

Greece Euros
GREEK12home.jpg

France Home and Away
FRA12final.jpg

FRA212final.jpg

POR12final.jpg

Chile Home and Away

rojafinalaprensa.jpg

rojafinalprensa.jpg

South Korea away

KOREA12away.jpg

Sacha picks up a yellow for grabbing Jozy on a counter. AZ score on the ensuing build up. Anderlecht need 3 goals to advance now.

If Boyd had really been tearing it up everyone he's gone, he wouldn't be playing for us. He's done very well in the German 4th division. If he was tearing it up everywhere, he'd be getting minutes for Dortmund instead of getting left out of the 18 entirely. He's even been quoted recently saying he's having real tough times keeping up at practice.

I could make a very good argument that Charlie Davies is more deserving of a look, and I don't think he has any business being on the team right now. Potential doesn't mean shit right now. Boyd certainly could be very good, but he's not there yet. Let's see him play more than zero first team professional games before giving him a call into the senior national team.

You need to understand that Dortmund has unquestionably the best youth setup in the Bundesliga right now, and they also have the best attack in the league too. Cut him a break. Our best forward could not even sniff a minute in their first team right now. If he's as young as he is and he's on the cusp of the first team, that's not a bad sign at all. They're about to ship out Barrios this summer, Zidan just got shipped out, and even if they pick up a new backup for Lewandowski Boyd will get an opportunity. Klopp is a good coach, and so is JK.

I repeat: not a single forward on our squad would sniff their first team right now.

I'm sure Boyd is talented, but I would like players to be playing first team football somewhere in order to be on the full USMNT.

Could just be bringing him in to experience a NT team camp tho. Entirely possible.

You need to understand that Dortmund has unquestionably the best youth setup in the Bundesliga right now, and they also have the best attack in the league too. Cut him a break. Our best forward could not even sniff a minute in their first team right now. If he's as young as he is and he's on the cusp of the first team, that's not a bad sign at all. They're about to ship out Barrios this summer, Zidan just got shipped out, and even if they pick up a new backup for Lewandowski Boyd will get an opportunity. Klopp is a good coach, and so is JK.

I repeat: not a single forward on our squad would sniff their first team right now.

So you're essentially saying that he is the best forward we have right now since he is sniffing the Dortmund first team?

And that's nice if he gets time next season after some changes. Once he proves himself in actual competitive games at a level higher than the fucking fourth division, by all means call him in. This isn't the mid-90s anymore where we call in anyone that played a youth game for a big club.

I think it's very clear that I'm definitely not convinced with your last statement that JK is a good coach. He's a proven good salesman though.

They also normally play with just one forward. So unless Barrios or Lewandowski is injured, there's no chance of getting in. I'm not sure anyone but those two have played a minute at forward this year.

They also normally play with just one forward. So unless Barrios or Lewandowski is injured, there's no chance of getting in. I'm not sure anyone but those two have played a minute at forward this year.

Grosskreutz jumps up top quite a bit. That's also because he's a spaz.

So you're essentially saying that he is the best forward we have right now since he is sniffing the Dortmund first team?

And that's nice if he gets time next season after some changes. Once he proves himself in actual competitive games at a level higher than the fucking fourth division, by all means call him in. This isn't the mid-90s anymore where we call in anyone that played a youth game for a big club.

I think it's very clear that I'm definitely not convinced with your last statement that JK is a good coach. He's a proven good salesman though.

Unfortunately there isn't anyone else. Charlie Davies? He hasn't scored a competitive goal since August. He's only played 13 minutes of competitive soccer since October. So I have a hard time thinking his form is better than a guy who has impressed in every camp and is scoring every other game for Dortmund's reserves.

The only guy I can think of would be Herc, but what's the point? He's not going to start for us going forward, so give a future prospect a look.

My beef isn't with Boyd even, he's just the representation of the real issue. Klinsmann has said repeatedly that players need to be playing to be considered. That's cool, I have no issues with that idea, and it makes perfect sense. He's also been pushing for players to get to clubs in more competitive leagues, especially ones that can provide Champions League experience. Again, nothing wrong with wanting that. Why then has he given call-ups to Alfredo Morales and Terrence Boyd, two players who at the time of their calls had a grand total of 1 first team appearance in their careers combined. Meanwhile, we have a midfielder who, admittedly, stagnated in MLS after starting strong. He made a move to a top team in a middle-tier European league and fought his way into the starting lineup. His team is in European play still, and he's even contributed goals in that tournament. Yet he can't get a look for some reason. That message is inconsistent, especially since there are similar players that have a certain similarity to the coach who keep getting called in.

The obvious issue here is that JK's rules are different for midfielders and forwards because we have depth at midfield and none at forward. Boyd is getting a look because there is no other attractive option, and while he doesn't have the first team experience JK prefers, at least he's shown potential to play at a high level.

In the midfield, JK doesn't have to choose players based solely on potential because we have a quality list of relatively accomplished first team players featuring in quality leagues.

The obvious issue here is that JK's rules are different for midfielders and forwards because we have depth at midfield and none at forward. Boyd is getting a look because there is no other attractive option, and while he doesn't have the first team experience JK prefers, at least he's shown potential to play at a high level.

In the midfield, JK doesn't have to choose players based solely on potential because we have a quality list of relatively accomplished first team players featuring in quality leagues.

Explain the Morales thing then. Same scenario (actually had played a single first team game though), but on the defensive side.

Our strikers suck dick. That's why he's getting a chance. He actually has potential unlike most in the pool

Explain the Morales thing then. Same scenario (actually had played a single first team game though), but on the defensive side.

He had played 3 times for the first team at Hertha Berlin and was making the bench each match as a 21 yo RB. Peru was showing interest in him. So you bring him in to keep him involved. What RBs would you rather have received an invite?

Back