• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

He's right, what kind of team only wins 3-1 at home against a small Banana republic like country in their first WCQ?

lolz. Give me a fucking break. We were all over them last summer before losing Dolo and having to bring in fucking Bornstein. That was in a match where Bedoya, Bornstein, and Adu all played 70+ minutes.

Then we tied them a month later.

We beat the hell out of their U23 team this season.

I'm glad they've gotten back to being a solid team, but far superior?

Freddy should have played 90! Set up both goals, had the assist on the first one (corner). Bedoya and Bornsuck are both garbage however. I just don't think we can get a result in the Azteca, just a rational opinion. We couldn't do it when we were clearly better than them, I doubt we can do it now. I'm begging to be wrong

Of far more concern to me than this game is that our Rangers guys get the hell out of there before too much longer. I know there's reports on each of them with links to clubs, but get something done already. Say what you will about their overall skill, but we can't afford to have Boca and Edu (and even Bedoya in case he ever makes the leap) wasting their time in the Scottish 4th tier.

Of far more concern to me than this game is that our Rangers guys get the hell out of there before too much longer. I know there's reports on each of them with links to clubs, but get something done already. Say what you will about their overall skill, but we can't afford to have Boca and Edu (and even Bedoya in case he ever makes the leap) wasting their time in the Scottish 4th tier.

@BrianSciaretta: Breaking: Alejandro Bedoya has signed with Helsingborg through the end of 2012 Swedish season. Agent Patrick Mork confirmed to me just now

So now that we're a year in Jurgen Klinsmanns tenure as USMNT hard coach, what grade do you give him for the first year?

I'll say C-

The first 6-7 matches where we only had 1-2 results was brutal. Yes he was new and yes he was trying out new players but to be honest the competition wasn't that stout either. Turned things around at Slovenia and at Italy with impressive wins. But them came this "5 game tournament" that he made a big deal about, so I'm going to make a big deal about the results in it. 2-1-2 or 8 points out of a possible 15 was a poor showing. 3 home matches, 2 away (the one in Canada being basically neutral) and 8 points is all we had to show for it. As they say in college, C's get degrees, so he's ok for now, but I'd like to see improvement in this next year. No big tournaments, all qualifiers. Come on JK, right the ship!

I feel like our talent pool has grown under Klinsmann in a relatively short period of time, though I don't know how much of that is attributable to him. I feel like we have more players to be excited about that we did late in Bradley's tenure, promising guys like Boyd, Fabian, Chandler if he ever gets with us, and some of the dual eligibility guys. He's coached two meaningful games for us, and a whole slew of friendlies. I'd bump him up to a straight C or C+, but mainly I feel like I don't quite know yet. I feel like we'll all know a lot more once we're into the hex.

He gets a D+ in my book. But I'm a guy that started out with low expectations for him, and he hasn't even reached those.

At least he wins the press conference!

Incomplete. We've played 2 competitive matched under Klinsmann. A 3-1 home win to Antigua and Barbuda and a 1-1 draw in Guatemala. We'll know a lot more in two months.

Personally, I think he's doing fine with how we play good teams, my problem with him is that he doesn't have a grasp of CONCACAF qualifying. When playing the minnows, possession numbers don't really matter. I'd rather we got forward and played really high pressure soccer. The plan should be to score 4 or 5 every match, not to record a clean sheet and maybe pick up a goal somewhere. I want to see more 5-2 scores in qualifying than 1-0.

We no longer have Bornstein getting call ups, so that's a huge plus in his favor.

He gets a D+ in my book. But I'm a guy that started out with low expectations for him, and he hasn't even reached those.

At least he wins the press conference!

Is it Klinsmann or our relative lack of talent? Or both?

Both, IMO. He doesn't know what he's doing and our talent level is lower than it was 8-10 years ago -- no matter how many mid-level Bundesliga players he wants to bring into the fold.

Tony Sanneh would be an automatic starter for the US right now. Think about that and then realize that we've regressed more then minimally in the past decade.

Could anybody call our attack anything other than bland and predictable right now?

We no longer have Bornstein getting call ups, so that's a huge plus in his favor.

Making no-brainer decisions shouldn't be a plus in anybody's column.

Never has there been a pro/cons sheet on somebody and on the pro side it said, "doesn't eat paste."

@BrianSciaretta: Hoffenheim official site indicates that Fabian Johnson and Danny Williams are called up to the #usmnt for Mexico game http://t.co/8o1bICUN

So theres numbers 3 and 4

"American international Geoff Cameron was also blooded last night during a midfield debut in which he was prepared to get stuck in, show decent mobility, pick a pass and also run with the ball.
Some might say that one particular pass, with the outside of his foot to release Jon Walters down the right channel early second half, was the kind of through ball last seen at Stoke when Graham Kavanagh was strutting his stuff for the Potters more than a decade ago.
Central midfield certainly seems to be his first resting place – despite demonstrating his versatility by switching to central defence on the hour – and you wouldn't bet against him starting in the engine room at Reading."

Mexico are Olympic Gold Medalists. We didn't qualify for the fucking tournament.

Take your heads out of the sand. We are so far behind right now.

Back