• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

In the last 4 years we've beaten the Euro champions, WC champions, Olympic gold winners, and euro runners up. Regressing.

In friendlies + a glorified friendly tournament (which took care of two of those)

Who the fuck celebrates exhibition victories? We aren't that good. Accept it.

We were fortunate to even get to the R16 in the last WC. I doubt we get to that stage in Brazil. And again, I hope I'm wrong.

dv, do.you think in two years, we'll be better than...
a) we are now, and
b) we were.in SA?

I would think yes to both. Maybe not radically better, but noticably better.

In friendlies + a glorified friendly tournament (which took care of two of those)

Who the fuck celebrates exhibition victories? We aren't that good. Accept it.

We were fortunate to even get to the R16 in the last WC. I doubt we get to that stage in Brazil. And again, I hope I'm wrong.

Having two fairly scored goals disallowed is fortunate?

No
No

If I had to put money down now, I would guess that we don't make it out of the group stages in Brazil.

No
No

If I had to put money down now, I would guess that we don't make it out of the group stages in Brazil.

Well, I was kind of hoping for more discussion than that, like maybe some expression of what makes you feel that way. But it's cool.

How many competitive games has Jurgen been in charge of again?
How did we look in those two matches?

Right, so now let's look further into it and examine how the team performed (fuck the result) in the friendlies. Oh, look. We weren't that good. We were devoid of ideas in the attacking half. And it was the same thing time after time, regardless of opposition of what our tactics would be. Can't wait to see the same shit game after game for the next 3 years.

a) we are now, and
b) we were.in SA?

I say no no because Donovan, Deuce, Boca and Dolo will all be worse and they are four of our most important players.

a) we are now, and
b) we were.in SA?

No
No

Well, I was kind of hoping for more discussion than that, like maybe some expression of what makes you feel that way. But it's cool.

Want to start a dialogue, then be my guest.
Want to simply know my opinion; then ask simple questions that will get that result. You did that, and you got that.

Want to go into it further? Tell me why you think we will be better in Brazil than we were in SA. I'm curious to hear that POV from somebody other than the pom-pom kings, sd3 and Husky.

I say no no because Donovan, Deuce, Boca and Dolo will all be worse and they are four of our most important players.

I'll give you Dolo and to some extent Donovan and Boca. Dempsey is better now than he was in SA, and I don't think he loses that and then some in the next two years.

This ignores the fact that Michael Bradley should be worlds better than he was in SA.

I just think we'll be deeper at the positions at which we were weak in SA. There will be no Robbie Findlays or Ricardo Clarks in Brazil. Whether Klins can figure out how to translate that into goals and results is another question. The outside backs have potential to be a great improvement as well.

Also, dv, don't take this as some guarantee that we'll take home some unprecedented result in Brazil. I gave Klinsmann a C and am probably seeing this as a best case scenario. I'm also looking more from a talent perspective than a tactical one.

And I'm not sure why I have to specifically request discussion on a discussion board. I thought that's what they were for.

Last edited:
And I'm not sure why you acted affronted that I didn't give an open-ended response to a non-open ended question...

And if you think Clint Dempsey will be as good as he was last season in 2 years, then I laugh at you. It was a career year and he won't ever equal it again.

Who has replaced Ricardo Clark in the lineup again? Who are we getting excited about in the center of the park for WC2014?

And who is the striker we are getting pumped up about? Terrance Boyd? The guy that just moved to Austria? Be still my heart! We are dead certain for the semi-finals now! He is THAT much better than the useless Robbie Findley!

And "some extent" on Boca. He is damn near 35. I pray he isn't starting in Brazil. Pace has never been on his side anyway, but in 2 years? WOOF.

And I'm not sure why you acted affronted that I didn't give an open-ended response to a non-open ended question...

I figured some desire for an actual discussion was implied in me asking the question in the first place. Whatever. I now know not to ask. Let's be honest with ourselves: you're being a dick over this point for the sake of being a dick.

And if you think Clint Dempsey will be as good as he was last season in 2 years, then I laugh at you. It was a career year and he won't ever equal it again.

That's not what I said.

Who has replaced Ricardo Clark in the lineup again? Who are we getting excited about in the center of the park for WC2014?

All I said was that we wouldn't be relying on Ricardo Clark. Never said I was "excited" about thqt specific position. But I knew you would blow my statement out of proportion. Even Jones would be an improvement over Clark.

And who is the striker we are getting pumped up about? Terrance Boyd? The guy that just moved to Austria? Be still my heart! We are dead certain for the semi-finals now! He is THAT much better than the useless Robbie Findley!

Again, I never said anything about semis. You're making shit up as I knew you would.

And "some extent" on Boca. He is damn near 35. I pray he isn't starting in Brazil. Pace has never been on his side anyway, but in 2 years? WOOF.

You could pick for Brendan on the draft thread if you're concerned about wasting your time here. That wqy the draft might actually finish by the January transfer window.

You claim to want a debate and then you throw out a strawman. I'm quite confused.

EDIT: Wait... I think you have responses in that, don't you? K. Let me read it. Didn't realize that at first.

Back