• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

An awesome must read on Terrence Boyd

When it comes time for a player with dual citizenship to decide which country to represent at international level, the choice is almost always fraught with emotion. Does the player represent the country where he was raised, or does the family's culture hold sway? Is it simply a case of who calls first, or does the player hedge his bets, hoping that his preferred choice eventually comes calling?

For U.S. international forward Terrence Boyd, the emotional challenges weren't so much about culture or country, but rather reliving the pain of a broken family, one that never completely heals.

Boyd's path to the national team is similar in many ways to other American expatriate soccer players. He was born in the German city of Bremen, to an American serviceman and a German mother. When Boyd was an infant, the family moved to the U.S., settling in the New York City borough of Queens. But the relationship between his parents deteriorated and ended in divorce. Boyd's mother, Karen, returned to Germany with young Terrence in tow, and his father, Anthony, was soon out of his life.

Years passed and Boyd's soccer career blossomed, thanks in part to the guidance of his stepfather, Mario Graschulis.

"I don't think I would have become a pro without him because I am a lazy guy," said Boyd, as he sat at the U.S. team hotel before last month's friendly win over Mexico. "I think everything worked out for me. It's funny, because we did so much extra work back in the days. We were running, training. The first time I was in a nightclub was when I was 18. I wasn't allowed to go partying. He was really strict, but he helped me to stay out of the trouble and all the s--- that could do some problems for you. I'm a guy who is trying to get better every day, and that focus, I got it from him."

Boyd eventually signed on with the youth team of Hertha Berlin and spent last season with the reserve team of Bundesliga champions Borussia Dortmund. Under the direction of another American expatriate, former U.S. international David Wagner, he developed into an intriguing forward prospect, eventually signing on for this season with Austrian side Rapid Wien.

"Terrence is strong in the work with his body," said Wagner via email. "He knows were the goal is, and he is able to fight for the team. He has to work on his combination game, on his technique to have a better first contact. If he works hard in the future, he can step up to the highest European level, like the German Bundesliga, Premier League, or Serie A."

But it was in Berlin that Boyd's American adventure began. U.S. U-20 international Bryan Arguez was also part of Hertha's youth system, and in late 2010 he alerted Thomas Rongen, then the head coach of the U-20s, that there were some Americans on the books of Hertha that he should look into recruiting for the squad. Rongen soon invited Boyd to a training camp with the U-20s. There was only one problem. Boyd didn't have a U.S. passport, and to get one required getting his father to sign the necessary documentation. As Boyd recalled what he went through to get his passport, there was little ambiguity as to his feelings toward his father.

"My parents broke up and he didn't care for me, so I don't care for him," he said.

Yet Boyd had to seek him out, without even knowing precisely where to look. At Rongen's urging, Boyd turned to social media, located a cousin on Facebook, who got him in touch with his paternal aunt, who agreed to act as go-between in order get the necessary paperwork signed. And while there would be no reunion with his father, the process did allow Boyd the chance to reconnect with some of his American relatives.

"When I first got the number for my grandmother, she was totally going nuts," said Boyd. "The last time I was in the States was when I was a baby. They were crying, all the old ladies. My grandpa was like, 'It's okay, it's cool.' He doesn't even know what soccer is. But it was very emotional."

The papers were signed soon thereafter, and since then, Boyd has represented the U.S. at U-20, U-23, and senior level.

"Boyd was one of the few [recruited] guys who, from day one, it was like a great honor for him - and I think he's shown that, and always talked about that to represent the United States," said Rongen. "I'm sure he went through an emotional hardship to get his passport, but he was so determined."

It's a choice that still seems fraught with contradictions. On the one hand, Germany never provided Boyd with any international opportunities, which practically made the decision for him. On the other, it seems incongruous that he would choose to suit up for the country of the parent that abandoned him.

Yet Boyd has clearly made an emotional bond with the U.S. team. His reaction at failing to qualify for the London Olympics with the U.S. U-23 national team was pure devastation, and he still feels regret at how the qualifying tournament ended, despite his two goals in the group finale against El Salvador.

"I think we already thought that we were qualified when we started it," he said of the qualifying tournament. "It's so bad, because we have so many talented players in our group. It's just a big disappointment, not only for us, but for U.S. soccer."

That upset turned to joy against Mexico, and he celebrated as exuberantly as anyone when the U.S. prevailed last month against El Tri, thanks in part to his backheel that was eventually converted by Michael Orozco-Fiscal.

"Even if Germany would call now and I know they can't for me it's like a heart thing," he said. "The U.S. is playing me, I think I have a future here. Why should I not play for the U.S.? It's such a big honor to play for such a big country. For me, it's the best country in the world."

And one where his connection, brief as it has been, runs deep.

I've seen a number of Boyd shirts around here in Wien ... if anyone on the thread wants one, let me know and I'll pick one up and mail it to you. Home / Away or 3rd.

I've seen a number of Boyd shirts around here in Wien ... if anyone on the thread wants one, let me know and I'll pick one up and mail it to you. Home / Away or 3rd.

Green are home. White with green stripes are away. What's the 3rd look like?

Last year it was red, not sure about this years.

The stuff in the fanshop is AMAZING - I mean, does it get more eurodouche than this? Can you imagine dv7 rocking it around W-S in support of Boyd?

992_0.jpg

England XI: Hart; Johnson, Lescott, Terry, Baines; Milner, Gerrard, Lampard, The Ox; Cleverley; Defoe
subs: Walker, Ruddy, Bertrand, Cahill, Carrick, Jagielka, Walcott, Sturridge, Welbeck, Butland

OH JOY. Gerrard and Lampard as a CM duo. I've been waiting ages to see those two together in the midfield for England!!!! Why hasn't anyone tried that before?

RvP scores for Holland. 5 goals for club and country so far this season from him. It is September 7th.

England XI: Hart; Johnson, Lescott, Terry, Baines; Milner, Gerrard, Lampard, The Ox; Cleverley; Defoe
subs: Walker, Ruddy, Bertrand, Cahill, Carrick, Jagielka, Walcott, Sturridge, Welbeck, Butland

OH JOY. Gerrard and Lampard as a CM duo. I've been waiting ages to see those two together in the midfield for England!!!! Why hasn't anyone tried that before?

To be fair, it could work a bit better with Cleverley added to the mix. I fully agree that it's a proven failure where there isn't a third central midfielder on the pitch.

Portugal-Luxembourg tied at the half 1-1.

@travismclark: RT @DaveZeitlin: One report says Marcus Tracy is on trial with the Union. Tracy is a former star for Wake Forest who's played in Denmark.”

Back