• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

ING-GUR-LUND
ING-GUR-LUND
ING-GUR-LUND
INGGURLAND; INGURLAND!

Beat the pasta boys!

Any objections to me starting threads for each group? If not, I think it makes discussion much easier.

Gigi Buffon out today.

Might not be the worst thing in the world - Buffon has a great relationship with the back 4, but he's not nearly the keeper he used to be. Perin is a fucking monster, but I guess they don't want his first ever cap to be in the World Cup so they are going with Sirigu, who is a very good and very experienced keeper.

Woo, Ivory Coast result over DV7's Samurai HUGE for one of my bets -- if we win tomorrow and Ghana scores, I take home like £250.

I made it to Natal against all odds. The weather here blows, apparently raining for 4 days straight. Staying on the beach in Punta Negra. If anyone is around here and wants to drink, let me know. Got some friends here from Boston and a group of Chileans I met last week. Might head to fan fest today depending on the weather.

The first 3 days have been fantastic. If there's a casual American fan who can't get into this world cup, then maybe soccer really just isn't for them (and I'd question if it's just because they've made up their mind they're not going to like it):

8 games, no ties, averaging 3.5 goals a game.
Excellent goals (Oscar, Van Persie, Robben, Marchisio, Sturridge).
Exciting changes in momentum (Ivory Coast and Costa Rica both go from down 1-0 to up 2-1 in five minutes).
Only one stretch where it really felt like the game had been decided, one team was just sitting on a lead, and the other wasn't going to be able to do anything about it (last 30 minutes of England-Italy).
One terrible call (Hulk) but overall I think the diving and flopping has been a non-story, no matter how much an American "fan" might want to make it the story.

The first 3 days have been fantastic. If there's a casual American fan who can't get into this world cup, then maybe soccer really just isn't for them (and I'd question if it's just because they've made up their mind they're not going to like it):

8 games, no ties, averaging 3.5 goals a game.
Excellent goals (Oscar, Van Persie, Robben, Marchisio, Sturridge).
Exciting changes in momentum (Ivory Coast and Costa Rica both go from down 1-0 to up 2-1 in five minutes).
Only one stretch where it really felt like the game had been decided, one team was just sitting on a lead, and the other wasn't going to be able to do anything about it (last 30 minutes of England-Italy).
One terrible call (Hulk) but overall I think the diving and flopping has been a non-story, no matter how much an American "fan" might want to make it the story.

Honda's goal was class too

Back