• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

Bradley has to keep the ball in the 94th minute or at a minimum play it forward.

So the question must be asked: did Bradley's move to MLS cause a drop in form? He's clearly not playing at the pace to which we're accustomed.

Fuck

anyone have a chart of points and chance of advancing. not for us, but in general.

i.e 3 points = 10% chance of advancing
5 points = 80% chance of advancing.

So the question must be asked: did Bradley's move to MLS cause a drop in form? He's clearly not playing at the pace to which we're accustomed.

Fuck

Someone with an axe to grind will undoubtedly make that case. Of course it can't be substantiated whatsoever.

Someone with an axe to grind will undoubtedly make that case. Of course it can't be substantiated whatsoever.

I really don't know. I do know that this is the worst I've seen him play in a US shirt. He was better today, but that 95' turnover? Do you ever remember something like that out of him?

I love this team so much. So much heart to come back like that. Jermaine Jones was a monster again today.

anyone have a chart of points and chance of advancing. not for us, but in general.

i.e 3 points = 10% chance of advancing
5 points = 80% chance of advancing.

Since 1998 World Cup (1994 World Cup had 24 teams, so four 3rd place teams (including the USA, which were hosting), so not a like for like comparison. 1990 World Cup and before, wins counted as only 2 points, so even more different from how it has been since France '98.)

3 points -- 1 out of 18 progressed
4 points -- 11 progressed, 12 knocked out

5 points or more? Progressed every time, but it is mathematically possible to be knocked out with 5 or 6 points, just very, very improbable.

15 teams have gotten to 5 points; 11 teams have gotten to 6.

5 points does seem to be the magic number.

Since 1998 World Cup (1994 World Cup had 24 teams, so four 3rd place teams (including the USA, which were hosting), so not a like for like comparison. 1990 World Cup and before, wins counted as only 2 points, so even more different from how it has been since France '98.)

3 points -- 1 out of 18 progressed
4 points -- 11 progressed, 12 knocked out

5 points or more? Progressed every time, but it is mathematically possible to be knocked out with 5 or 6 points, just very, very improbable.

15 teams have gotten to 5 points; 11 teams have gotten to 6.

5 points does seem to be the magic number.

Thanks for this.

Surprised you don't get a group of 3 evenly matched teams with one awful 1, where you go 6, 6, 6 and 0. Maybe format is still too young.

One thing we've learned to this point is that the Group of Death has not been too big for the USA. How pimp would it be to win the damn group outright?

One thing we've learned to this point is that the Group of Death has not been too big for the USA. How pimp would it be to win the damn group outright?

Good point. We sucked vs Ghana but got three points. We outplayed (IMO) a very good, though not in form, Portugal team. Minnows no more.

Good point. We sucked vs Ghana but got three points. We outplayed (IMO) a very good, though not in form, Portugal team. Minnows no more.

We could've played better, but Ghana is not bad at all.

We outplayed Portugal save 2 defensive lapses.

I like our chances on Thursday. I just have to figure out what I'm going to do to watch the game.

We could've played better, but Ghana is not bad at all.

We outplayed Portugal save 2 defensive lapses.

I like our chances on Thursday. I just have to figure out what I'm going to do to watch the game.

I've taken off for Thursday, but to anyone else in the same boat of having to take off time, remember that regardless of whether we finish 1st or 2nd in the group the knockout round game would be at 3 pm CT of a weekday. That is way easier for me to take off early and just work late another day than having to use vacation time because our game Thursday is so early.

Back