• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Retired US Soccer / World Cup Thread (RIP)

I was ready for Klinsman to go, but I agree with the rest of y'all that Arena has to go now too. What are some of the names of realistic folks that you'd like to see as the new coach? For that matter, I'm still not impressed with Jill Ellis and want her gone as well.

Question about Howard. I know he's ancient. To me, that chip in the box wasn't savable. But don't most goalies make the save on that long shot? That was 1 of the longer goals I've seen where the goalie wasn't out of position. While it was a great shot, it looked to me like he reacted slowly.

I heard some comments about Howard and reaction time and the suggestion he should have saved that. At some point, you just have to tip your hat and say hell of a shot. Part of the reaction time might have been being 38, part of it is the unlikelyness of a shot from that distance.

As a fan, I was more upset that someone in the field wasn't on him disrupting his chance to take that shot than on Howard for not saving it. I don't think anyone was within 10 yards of the guy.

Is there any other kind of MLS player ?

Not to prop up MLS, but a bunch of kids that ASPIRE to play in the MLS just beat us 2-1.

Having a good domestic league is not a requirement to being a competitive soccer nation. We need to figure out how to get better with or without MLS involved.

I heard some comments about Howard and reaction time and the suggestion he should have saved that. At some point, you just have to tip your hat and say hell of a shot. Part of the reaction time might have been being 38, part of it is the unlikelyness of a shot from that distance.

As a fan, I was more upset that someone in the field wasn't on him disrupting his chance to take that shot than on Howard for not saving it. I don't think anyone was within 10 yards of the guy.

Yeah, that's how I feel about all of that.

Also, It wouldn't surprise me if the lighting in that stadium was not as good as he normally encounters.

I say 2014 Tim Howard makes that save. But honestly, whatever. We should easily have scored 3-4 goals

Has he ever done anything in a big game? I know he has a decent goal tally, but they never seem to come in a big match. And I don't ever see him contribute in any way outside of goals. Poster boy for a mediocre MLS player

Well the opening goal vs. Spain was big in the CONFED cup. He also has 18 WCQ goals. As far as WC goals, no, since he's been injured every world cup

Question about Howard. I know he's ancient. To me, that chip in the box wasn't savable. But don't most goalies make the save on that long shot? That was 1 of the longer goals I've seen where the goalie wasn't out of position. While it was a great shot, it looked to me like he reacted slowly.

It was poor technique for Timmy to go with his back hand instead of his front hand and twist his body for extra extension.

By Howard trying to save with his right hand instead of left, he created a situation where he couldn't get to the ball.

De-Gea.jpg

Arena must have a concussion. not sure how you can say there are no major problems when you just failed to qualify for the Cup in the easiest region.

there is a gofundme campaign to get Wynalda to run for Prez of US Soccer.

I would give my left nut to hire Marcelo Bielsa and give him complete control over US Soccer. Dude is a complete lunatic but if given authority of our entire program/system he would work wonders.

Most geniuses are lunatics anyway.

Bielsa's 3-3-3-1 formation with our players

------- Besler -- Cameron (libero) -- Ream (?) ----
Yedlin ----------------------------------- Johnson
------------------ Bradley -----------------------
------------------ Pulisic ------------------------
Arriola ------------------------------------ Wood
------------------- Altidore ---------------------

What are the odds that Altidore and Bradley will stop being called up? Will it depend on the new coach?

FOX must be overjoyed that they paid $250 million (or is it more?) for the rights to televise the 2018 WC in the US.

What are the odds that Altidore and Bradley will stop being called up? Will it depend on the new coach?

Meh, Altidore is still young enough to play in the next WC and he's one of our best players when he's on. You can't drop him now.

Sounds like a true [name redacted]. That said, as a completely casual viewer, I'll serve up a take just to piss off Brasky. I think it has way more to do with our players just stinking than coaching. #analysis

Do you think our players are worse players than T&Ts low A/high B squad players?

Remember this was a nation with only 1 previous win in the Hex before last night.

Back