• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rich Wash is redshirting

Does this mean he could transfer at the end of the year without sitting out a year?

Or do I read this as he's sticking around, because giving up a year of eligibility would otherwise make no sense?

Could be a positive, at least we know why he hasn't played. Another year to practice and get stronger and perhaps he could give some quality minutes.

I don't believe this makes any sense if Washington intends to transfer to another D-1 school

with the 4 signed recruits on the way in, we have 14 projected scholarships for 13 slots next year...

Yeah, this is surprising. The scholarship situation could always be remedied by Randolph paying Brandon's way, but you have to think we'll see at least one defection, and probably more.

There is a transfer coming, without a doubt. Probably more than one. But trying to guess exactly whom that'll be has been a fool's errand for the most part.

There is a transfer coming, without a doubt. Probably more than one. But trying to guess exactly whom that'll be has been a fool's errand for the most part.

Do you have inside info or is this just intuition?

Looks like he wants to save the year and drop down to FBS, have 3 years left and play immediately.

I'm pretty sure if you go to D2 you don't have to sit out.

Looks like he wants to save the year and drop down to FBS, have 3 years left and play immediately.

It's a lot bigger drop in basketball with 300+ Division 1 schools competing.

Think that if Washington does not play this year at WF, he can transfer and play immediately at another D-1 school next year. Put another way, I don't think Washington is required to have transferred already for this season to count as his "sit out" year prior to being eligible to play at a new school. Think that he can sit at his initial school, sit out at home or sit at his new school and be able to play the next season. Not 100% certain.

Last edited:
Isn’t this the same thing, minus the injury, that Danny did for Andrew Washington? Preserving a year of eligibility? Why doesn’t this make sense if he is transferring?

Isn’t this the same thing, minus the injury, that Danny did for Andrew Washington? Preserving a year of eligibility? Why doesn’t this make sense if he is transferring?

Andrew Washington was a grad transfer, Rich Washington is not

grad transfers are always eligible to play immediately if they have eligibility; non-grad transfers are generally not

Pilchard may be right that in this case Rich will be able to play right away; I don't remember a case like this

Andre Washington

Think that if Washington does not play this year at WF, he can transfer and play immediately at another D-1 school next year. Put another way, I don't think Washington is required to have transferred already for this season to count as his "sit out" year prior to being eligible to play at a new school. Think that he can sit at his initial school, sit out at home or sit at his new school and be able to play the next season. Not 100% certain.

The NCAA.org transfer rules do not mention this as a possibility unless this situation would somehow be viewed as a "Waiver" case:

Waiver: An action that sets aside an NCAA rule because a specific, extraordinary circumstance prevents you from meeting the rule. An NCAA school may file a waiver on your behalf; you cannot file a waiver for yourself. The school does not administer the waiver, the conference office or NCAA does.

This is incorrect. But what RW can do, and what I would advise him to do is he could transfer to a JUCO next year and play immediately, and then be immediately eligible after his JUCO season with 2 years left of college remaining. If he transfers D1 he is sitting out next year. If he transfers D2 he can play immediately, but then he still can't come back to D1 without sitting out a year. I would find a great Juco fit, play next year and continue to develop his game, and then look to find a good D1 program for my junior and senior year.

Even if this is not the rule, having a medical redshirt could allow him a sixth year in the event of another injury, if he and the school wanted that, whether at Wake or not.

Back