• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Richmond @ Wake Forest - 7pm - ESPN3 - Prediction/Game Thread

Not sure it's been posted here, but reading Dan Collins recap of the game last night Devin had this to say:

Asked why he had trouble getting his shots, Thomas declined to answer.

“No comment,” Thomas said. “I don’t want to say what’s on my mind.”

Wonder what that's about...frustrated about lack of playing time, or maybe the way the offense was being run? Something to keep an eye on I suppose.

We were trying to get Devin the ball but he was doubled with a man in front and in back. Ultimately he's got to get bigger in those situations to get the ball. So many entry passes got swatted away. He's got to get wide and box out his man better and STFU with that noise. We need positive Devin not pissed off Devin

If teams are going to slough off to double / front Devin, then our guards, and I'm sure BC will make this adjustment eventually, need to drive on their sloughing man and find a seam for a pull-up jumper in the soft middle or draw the defender off DT or hopefully for a weak side flash. Another reason to play more JC. Have no doubt in my mind that Collins already understands and will do this where as Dinos is often floating on the perimeter anyway.

Again, I'm a firm proponent, especially early this season without CMM (and to a lesser extent Crab) that we should have been working on getting these guys prepared to play an aggressive, long-armed, extended 3-2 or 1-3-1 with Collins at the point of this zone. Utilize his athleticism along with G-Mc's to play this defensive role and let Dinos and DT/DM camp out on the low blocks / baseline. Ya we might be vulnerable in the corners or on the wings with good ball movement, but I think having Collins, BC and eventually CMM and Hudson at the top of an aggressive zone would do wonders for this team. Then you can play more of your best 5 at a time and cause more T/O's and easy buckets. Although rebounding might suffer a bit.

Why not work on something like this knowing you don't have CMM and Hudson, get these kids ready to play something other than M2M or a lazy 2-3. Hate a 2-3 zone, doesn't make sense in the current college landscape unless you have really long, quick guards playing the top part of that zone.

Last edited:
Not sure it's been posted here, but reading Dan Collins recap of the game last night Devin had this to say:

Wonder what that's about...frustrated about lack of playing time, or maybe the way the offense was being run? Something to keep an eye on I suppose.
Lol, so much for a new Devin this year.

Maybe he felt like he was being held all night. He might have been frustrated with the officials, not necessarily his teammates.

Maybe he felt like he was being held all night. He might have been frustrated with the officials, not necessarily his teammates.

Yeah, that's how I read it. Even in game, he seemed more frustrated than usual with Richmond's bigs and and the officiating.

Would be nice to see him do better than 2/7 from the line, though.

I know this may seem out of place here but I am VERY encouraged with what I have seen from Crawford and Collins and what it could mean for us going forward. Manning (and Childress) definitely have an eye for talent and now we need him to develop his coaching skills to go along with that. With the talent we are starting to garner (as indicated by the last 2 classes) and hopefully a better grasp of sub patterns and coaching better defense, we could be pretty good in the near future

This is tough to type, but we are young this season...for the 6th straight season, lol. I am encouraged by the freshmen as much as last year's group, if not more. We are one scholarship lite, not counting Watson, and missing two starters, so I think we will improve greatly. Having said that...our defense is terrible right now. It should be priority #1!

Texted QUESTION: Hey Coach, why did you sit McC in the second half against Richmond?

DM: "Because I wanted to....next question." :confused:

Back