• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Richmond @ Wake Forest - 7pm - ESPN3 - Prediction/Game Thread

If we really are a bubble team this year, and I'm not convinced we are, it seems like a game like last night would certainly help our chances, especially with the ridiculously tough schedule we have this year. I like our squad going forward too, but sacrificing wins for teaching moments doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Seems like you can have it both ways, and plenty of good coaches do.

Of course winning that game would have helped our chances if we are on the bubble. I will be shocked if any of us are sweating out an NCAA bid the Sunday after the ACC Tournament, but maybe I'll be proven wrong.

Love the love for GDO. Back in the day, the old board with the constant criticism after the Butler game gave Wellman the excuse he needed to force Dave's hand. Now he has returned to Winston and is better appreciated.

Looking at the box score, I don't understand why Van Horn had more minutes than McClinton. 28-22. Both had 3 boards, Van Horn had 4 fouls to McClinton's 1. Van Horn - 0 points, McClinton 12 (6-8).

Of course winning that game would have helped our chances if we are on the bubble. I will be shocked if any of us are sweating out an NCAA bid the Sunday after the ACC Tournament, but maybe I'll be proven wrong.

I assumed he was talking NIT bubble.

Looking at the box score, I don't understand why Van Horn had more minutes than McClinton. 28-22. Both had 3 boards, Van Horn had 4 fouls to McClinton's 1. Van Horn - 0 points, McClinton 12 (6-8).

Van Horn was backing up 3 guys, and McClinton doesn't play either guard position.

We've played 3 games. Collins is going to be our starting 4 very soon. Manning is just making him earn it. He's probably harder on the big men, but that is what we are paying him to do, coach up the big men.

CMM, Crawford, Crab, Collins and DT are our 5 best at this point and should start, with MW, Dinos, McC and Doral coming off the bench in that order.

That's a more talented lineup than we've had in a looong time. It may take a few more bad games before they gel but I like the potential based on the talent alone.

And we even have the flexibility to match up according to the other team's strengths when necc with our full complement of players. Offense vs Defense type subs when it makes sense to put G-Mc in for Hudson for instance to protect a lead. But with everyone healthy, this is definitely the best lineup and depth potential we've in a very long time. Of course, we will still have games where we are very streaky from the outside, but if we can shore up the D, and get more transition buckets, think this team might be able to find their stride after Maui.

Maybe you missed it but Coach K's 7 are usually all burger boys. Not really a fair comparison.

the point is these are young kids and they are capable of playing a lot of minutes. if you can take mc d's all americans and win a championship i think you can take 7 solid players and beat richmond.

Van Horn was backing up 3 guys, and McClinton doesn't play either guard position.

McClinton was the third guy he was backing up. No reason McClinton couldn't have played more minutes.

McClinton and VanHorn's +/- were identical last night. Reading between the lines I don't think Manning was a big fan of McClinton consistently failing to close out on their best 3 point shooters. Like most posters have recognized, the biggest failing was defense last night, not offense.

We turned the ball over 20 times last night. My prediction is we don't turn the ball over 20 or more times in any other game all season. I hope that's clearer, my friend.

but it doesn't take into account what we know about manning's style of offense or his historical teams

IIRC, 12 of those TOs were Crawford and Dinos. I'd expect Crawford to improve on that (especially when CMM comes back and dominates the ball) and Dinos is usually better at feeding the post than he showed last night.

Having said that, I don't think we'll be a low turnover team this year given what others have mentioned about Manning's preference for tempo and forcing the issue a bit.

Tempo can't really be blamed for the turnovers in the halfcourt set last night. Just a lot of lazy high-low passes.

Agree, but I meant going forward. Even if you dismiss some of the weak/lazy passes from last night, we're probably going to turn the ball over a lot. It hopefully just won't be as bad/painful to watch.

If we really are a bubble team this year, and I'm not convinced we are, it seems like a game like last night would certainly help our chances, especially with the ridiculously tough schedule we have this year. I like our squad going forward too, but sacrificing wins for teaching moments doesn't make a ton of sense to me. Seems like you can have it both ways, and plenty of good coaches do.

Yes

Anywhere in here that says props to Richmond? They clearly outplayed us, so good for them. Like to see our team at full strength before I get too discouraged about how the season may turn out.

I don't think we're a bubble team either. With our meat grinder schedule I can't really imagine us winning more than 14-15 games. I agree that if we are a bubble team, and the staff thought so, risking a win to prove a point by playing the walk-ons is nonsensical.

Anywhere in here that says props to Richmond? They clearly outplayed us, so good for them. Like to see our team at full strength before I get too discouraged about how the season may turn out.

Meh. Take it to the Richmond board.

No team should shoot 70+% for a half from 3 against us. We left too many points on the line and turned the ball over too much. It's not like they were making a bunch of contested shots and deserved a hard fought win.

Back