• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RIP John Prine

What a bummer. The father of modern Americana/alt-country.

Barca posted that John Prine has died of Covid-19. A great and weird songwriter and performer.

I still remember seeing him at The Main Point in Bryn Mawr. I think the only person more upset at no booze there was Jerry Jeff Walker.

It's a shame a place like that can't exist today. The people I saw in that tiny venue were a who's who of music.

Mrs. Campbell, the owner, refused to get a liquor license and make tons of money. She wanted to have a place for kids to go. Performers didn't forget her. Jackson Browne and David Lindley would pay their own travel, hotel, food, etc., to play for free to help her keep it open. Joni Mitchell headlined a benefit concert at Tower Theater for the Main Point with Tom Waits, Melanie, Tom Rush and some others.

It's too bad there weren't Main Point concert albums to help it stay open. I'd guess I went forty or more shows there. Many performers are in the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame.

John is on the Mt Rushmore of American songwriters. His words move me more than most anyone I can think of and his influence on American music is incredibly far reaching.

John is on the Mt Rushmore of American songwriters. His words move me more than most anyone I can think of and his influence on American music is incredibly far reaching.

I use Sam Stone to introduce my All Quiet novel unit. Kids generally dig it. Crazy how that song speaks to high school sophomores, but they’re moved. Testament to his genius.

In my musical life, there’s Jerry and there’s John Prine. That’s it. That’s the list.

Just read this, and it perfectly captures the man: John Prine was the saddest and the funniest person in the room. Simultaneously.

Didn't think I should post Don't Bury Me twice in the same week. :)

Back