• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RIP John Prine

I listen to Prine every Saturday morning when making the family breakfast. He’s a top 3 favorite artist for me. Horrible news to wake up to.

They don’t make em like him anymore. RIP

huge bummer

Wither and Prine within five days of each other is a real doozy

EVC1rOmX0AgtTQG

Such a fucking bummer. Others are far bigger fans, and vibes out to you all. Man, I had a run a few years ago with the self-titled, Bruised Orange, and Sweet Revenge. Dammit. Prine and Withers is indeed some shit.

Lot of boots in this collection (although you need to be a UNC affiliate to access), so I may throw some on in addition to the studio stuff. Going to see what else in our collection we have. Probably a McCabe's performance.

https://finding-aids.lib.unc.edu/20555/

Huh, actually nothing in McCabe's, but those O'Donnell tapes are usually of a high quality.

Last edited:
a thing I think about John Prine is that in the wrong hands, his straightforward storytelling would be corny and boring and his silliness would be juvenile

dude walked a very tight line and totally nailed it

Yeah, good point. Seeing a lot of the lyrics written out in remembrance kind of reinforces that, but he was a real one.

Thought listening to Prine a lot last night and today would make me sad but it's really been uplifting me and giving me a sense of peace.

Hope he's enjoying that 9 mile cig.

RIP John

survived two fights with cancer before this...one of the great American story tellers.

I had the wonderful privilege of seeing him at The Ryman in Nashville a few years ago. Such an enormous talent...Angel From Montgomery, what can you say after that? RIP, Mr. Prine.

Co-wrote "You Never Even Called Me by My Name" with a friend of mine Steve Goodman.

Wow. Didn't Goodman die forever ago? I saw Prine a few times and he seemed to always mention him at least once ... and I thought it was a rest-in-peace sort of thing ...

Didn't think I should post Don't Bury Me twice in the same week. :)

It was last weekend, wasn’t it?
RIP, and also RIP Jon McPhail, who was the biggest Prine fan in my freshman year dorm.

I use Sam Stone to introduce my All Quiet novel unit. Kids generally dig it. Crazy how that song speaks to high school sophomores, but they’re moved. Testament to his genius.

Sipping on some whiskey feeling a little shitty about all of this...

I was getting lose at The Tap one night a few years back and I threw this song on the juke box. A drinking buddy of mine told me he had a teacher that wrote all the lyrics to this song and took his class through it.

Wouldn’t be surprised at all if it was your class. Crazy how things great teachers do that stick with people.

Back