• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Rivers shot carbon copy of Childress at Cameron

Has Wake ever had a comeback like that? Ever?

Yes.
I may get some details wrong, but this is how I remember it...........
Late 70's when Rod Griffin was on the team. We were down by 17 to NCSU at home. State also had a very good power forward - can't remember his name. We started coming back in the second half and the feeling in the place was very similar to the second half of the Wake-Auburn football game (still the greatest game in Wake history) when we were down bigtime in the second half, but everyone felt and knew we were going to come back and win it. We did.

I'm sure some of you were there.................

The Profit shot was tolerable, but the CC Harrison shot was such a horrible mistake. It wasn't even close.

I was at both games - the call by Mike Wood at the NCSU game was horrid. I was 2/3 of the way up 200 level and saw CC's foot over the line. The sad thing is I know replay was available, they opted not to use it.

Feinstein's book does a good job of calling out both of those games as blown calls against Wake. I'm trying to remember what happened at the end of the UVA-Duke game that year - it was another huge travesty and all those blown end game calls gave us a lower seed for the ACC tourney.

Has Wake ever had a comeback like that? Ever?

I don't know, but we had a pretty sweet comeback against VT with Ish a couple years ago. It was at least 10 pts in about a minute iirc.

I was at both games - the call by Mike Wood at the NCSU game was horrid. I was 2/3 of the way up 200 level and saw CC's foot over the line. The sad thing is I know replay was available, they opted not to use it.

Feinstein's book does a good job of calling out both of those games as blown calls against Wake. I'm trying to remember what happened at the end of the UVA-Duke game that year - it was another huge travesty and all those blown end game calls gave us a lower seed for the ACC tourney.

the duke/uva game had something weird with a sub for uva not allowed in after a FT, clock issues and a BS call that gave wojo 2 FTs to win (that he made). i believe the officials were suspended after that

the duke/uva game had something weird with a sub for uva not allowed in after a FT, clock issues and a BS call that gave wojo 2 FTs to win (that he made). i believe the officials were suspended after that

Yeah, UVA coach specifically told the ref he was putting a sub in at the table to check in after a made free throw, and the ref just had a brain fart like 10 seconds later and never stopped the inbounds to let the guy in.

What did you think of the endings of the Marland@Wake and NCSU@Wake games back in '97? Any interesting info to share about those while we are on the subject of end of game shenanigans?

Not really. Just bang bang calls at the end of the games with no replay available.

I don't know, but we had a pretty sweet comeback against VT with Ish a couple years ago. It was at least 10 pts in about a minute iirc.

We had a smilar come-back to force OT at Clemson in 2002, ultimately loss the game. I remember Craig Dawson hitting a 3 at the buzzer and we scored something like 10-11 points in 1 min 5 secs.

I remember the Laron Profit game, I was watching at my grandparent's and couldn't believe it, they replayed it over and over and over. The State game hurt but I remember thinking "State is horrible, they shouldn't even be in this." I remember State ending up making it the ACC tournament final before falling to UNC.

The Profit shot was tolerable, but the CC Harrison shot was such a horrible mistake. It wasn't even close.

Mistakes happen and certainly did both those games. The problem with the CC Harrison shot was that Mike Wood was a little too far down the court because of a throw-in and could not get into position in time to see the foot on the arc. It really was not close for those able to see it in slow motion, etc. But in game time speed and what happened on the play, Mike Woods was the guy responsible for that part of the arc & there is not always any help.

There are several times in most every game that the angle you have does not create a good line of sight for the arc, unfortunately. That is what happened that night in Cameron. Larry Rose got himself "straight lined" as we call it and could not see Chill's feet were easily behind the arc. Luckily for us Lenny Wertz had a good look from across the court as the offense was set up & nobody had to run to be in position. He really could help on that play as there was nothing going on in his area in the slot position.

Yes.
I may get some details wrong, but this is how I remember it...........
Late 70's when Rod Griffin was on the team. We were down by 17 to NCSU at home. State also had a very good power forward - can't remember his name. We started coming back in the second half and the feeling in the place was very similar to the second half of the Wake-Auburn football game (still the greatest game in Wake history) when we were down bigtime in the second half, but everyone felt and knew we were going to come back and win it. We did.

I'm sure some of you were there.................

Down 17 at half I think.

We had a smilar come-back to force OT at Clemson in 2002, ultimately loss the game. I remember Craig Dawson hitting a 3 at the buzzer and we scored something like 10-11 points in 1 min 5 secs.

I remember the Laron Profit game, I was watching at my grandparent's and couldn't believe it, they replayed it over and over and over. The State game hurt but I remember thinking "State is horrible, they shouldn't even be in this." I remember State ending up making it the ACC tournament final before falling to UNC.

that clemson game had me convinced that ed scott was the next kevin johnson. he was so good that game. gave us like 30-15. didn't craig hit 10+ 3's that game?

just looked up the box. clemson's starting backcourt combined for 60 pts, 7 rebounds, and 22 assists. professional meathead chris hobbs had 24/17 including 8-19 from the line.

wow, brod hicks went 2-11 from 3.

Wasn't it Taron who hit the game-tying three? That was his coming out party, IIRC.

yes, believe so. top of the key iirc.

Here's a question. What's the worst blown call in hoops or football that has actually gone Wake's way?

Here's a question. What's the worst blown call in hoops or football that has actually gone Wake's way?

Can't answer that, but I - in the interest of fairness - have to say that the worst non call ever was Chris Webber taking three steps in the championship game against UNC... then he blew it by calling a time out Michigan didn't have.

Next worse was the non call on the Latener chest stomp.

Yeah, UVA coach specifically told the ref he was putting a sub in at the table to check in after a made free throw, and the ref just had a brain fart like 10 seconds later and never stopped the inbounds to let the guy in.

Officials in the Duke @ UVa game were Tim Higgins, Rick Hartzell & Zelton Steed. Can't remember the score or margin but suffice it to say it was a tight game. UVa had a sub at the table to some in for the shooter after the free throw was made. Officials acknowledged that a sub was waiting at the table.

FT was made and UVa was standing around waiting on the sub. Officials had a brain fart and did not blow the whistle, etc. Before anything could happen, in the blink of an eye, Duke took the ball out of bounds and Duke went up the court as UVa was still standing around. Seems like Wojo got fouled & made FT's to win the game.

Officials did indeed get docked their next game. I worked a few nights later at UNC-A in a Big South game & Zelton was there for the men's game, either before or after, I can't remember. He said they got docked a game & that it was just a bad time for a 3 way brain fart.

Couple that Duke win with the CC Harrison 2/3 pointer & the MD buzzer beater/non-beater and we had 3 games in the standings all go against us. We also had our 9 game winning streak against Duke broken that year when they beat us in LJVM

Back