• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RJ's political-1947 NYC vaccinated 6M in <1 month -Lin Wood says he's 2nd coming

In the years after he's president, Trump is certainly going to use his PDB or whatever intelligence he still gets to try to make money.

CH, here's a question for you. If you haven't game-planned for this, I bet you can get the answer very easily.

I understand there will be a lot moving parts to making this concept a reality, but can Biden legally create and enforce an Executive Order to lower or totally eliminate the age requirement for Medicare?

We have certainly modeled the impact of Medicare at 55 but this must be done via legislation.

In the years after he's president, Trump is certainly going to use his PDB or whatever intelligence he still gets to try to make money.

Given that Russians have guaranteed his Duetche Bank loans, this is likely part of his current collateral.

We have certainly modeled the impact of Medicare at 55 but this must be done via legislation.

Given that everyone would have to do big changes, if there is legislation, it should start at 55 and then progress into being able to buy into Medicare at any age. I think the insurance companies that most quickly build their supplemental products and deepest will do very, very well.

There's no reason for all Americans not to be able to buy into Medicare in the next 5-10 years.

McConnell is handing both seats to the Dems. If the Dems have ANY brains (losing to Collins and Daines makes this very questionable), the should win these two seats in a walk. McConnell's refusal to do anything but help corporations during this Covid explosion should hand both seats to the Dems.

EVERY ad should be showing that if Loeffler of Perdue win every family in GA is at risk. Show people losing their homes, their jobs, etc.

This should VERY easy.

McConnell is handing both seats to the Dems. If the Dems have ANY brains (losing to Collins and Daines makes this very questionable), the should win these two seats in a walk. McConnell's refusal to do anything but help corporations during this Covid explosion should hand both seats to the Dems.

EVERY ad should be showing that if Loeffler of Perdue win every family in GA is at risk. Show people losing their homes, their jobs, etc.

This should VERY easy.

I think the recent elections show that carpet bombing with ads-even "good" ads-doesn't work. The Dems need to support Stacey Abrams doing her thing.

I think the recent elections show that carpet bombing with ads-even "good" ads-doesn't work. The Dems need to support Stacey Abrams doing her thing.

But it gives her a major leg up. There needs to be an easily understandable issue. This has a crossover audience.

She can have her army tell this door-to-door, via test, social media and phone banking.

Given that everyone would have to do big changes, if there is legislation, it should start at 55 and then progress into being able to buy into Medicare at any age. I think the insurance companies that most quickly build their supplemental products and deepest will do very, very well.

There's no reason for all Americans not to be able to buy into Medicare in the next 5-10 years.

The hospital lobby is against lowering the age to 60 - they're pretty powerful and will go ape-shit if 55 is proposed because Medicare pays them about half of what commercial insurance pays. Add to that the fact that the Medicare trust is projected to go be insolvent in 2024.

Counter to that opposition is the popularity of lowering the age among the age group affected and to the states due to the large number of people who would be moved from Medicaid to Medicare, thus saving the states $$$. It still leaves a massive cost that needs to be covered or we just add to the debt as the orange man does.

The hospital lobby is against lowering the age to 60 - they're pretty powerful and will go ape-shit if 55 is proposed because Medicare pays them about half of what commercial insurance pays. Add to that the fact that the Medicare trust is projected to go be insolvent in 2024.

Counter to that opposition is the popularity of lowering the age among the age group affected and to the states due to the large number of people who would be moved from Medicaid to Medicare, thus saving the states $$$. It still leaves a massive cost that needs to be covered or we just add to the debt as the orange man does.

CH could probably come up with some of the math. It doesn't have to be paid for by the feds. HHS could come use Medicare numbers to come up with a fair price for Medicare coverage (it would be dramatically lower than private coverage due to drastically lower overhead, grossly lower marketing costs and no profits to worry about). The new product could also use the employer/employee structure or even a "tax" that could have family and employer participation.

No bottom age could be phased in.

Our Chief Legal Officer, a former Obama adviser, has been bullish the law stands at least 6-3 or 7-2. Roberts pretty much nailed it....If Congress wanted to kill the whole law, they could have, but they didn't. They just ended the tax. At this point, striking the mandate isn't meaningful at all. The law only works because of the subsidies.

Sounds like one hell of a CLO.

Sounds like one hell of a CLO.

She is. Shes the real deal. She asked me to interview people for her an open General Counsel position and pretty much everyone was in awe of her. She claims shes staying here with us and not headed back to DC but we will see.

CH could probably come up with some of the math. It doesn't have to be paid for by the feds. HHS could come use Medicare numbers to come up with a fair price for Medicare coverage (it would be dramatically lower than private coverage due to drastically lower overhead, grossly lower marketing costs and no profits to worry about). The new product could also use the employer/employee structure or even a "tax" that could have family and employer participation.

No bottom age could be phased in.

I generally agree with WFU71. Medicare reimbursement is low relative to private pay and thats where the savings are and why many many many groups will oppose it. This really also isn't about admin savings either, see Medicare Part C which actually is privatized Medicare a/b/d which generally saves overall spend. Admin in itself isn't a bad thing if its used to control spend. We need to get over that myth.

If you could spend a $1 to save $10, we should do that all day long. A real life example. If we had a tool that helped steer people to super efficient PCPs who really understand how to control costs should we do it? If that tool cost $1 but saved $10 a month?

Im also not a huge fan of building onto a fee for service system like traditional medicare. We need to create value models and move away from FFS.

The better path may be to cap ACA reimbursement at some % of Medicare, say 130% and see how exchange prices drop.

I certainly thunk Medicare to 55 will get a lot of attention but lots of open ?s on it.

As a PT who often tries to get durable medical equipment covered for patients I fucking hate Medicare replacement plans.

I generally agree with WFU71. Medicare reimbursement is low relative to private pay and thats where the savings are and why many many many groups will oppose it. This really also isn't about admin savings either, see Medicare Part C which actually is privatized Medicare a/b/d which generally saves overall spend. Admin in itself isn't a bad thing if its used to control spend. We need to get over that myth.

If you could spend a $1 to save $10, we should do that all day long. A real life example. If we had a tool that helped steer people to super efficient PCPs who really understand how to control costs should we do it? If that tool cost $1 but saved $10 a month?

Im also not a huge fan of building onto a fee for service system like traditional medicare. We need to create value models and move away from FFS.

The better path may be to cap ACA reimbursement at some % of Medicare, say 130% and see how exchange prices drop.

I certainly thunk Medicare to 55 will get a lot of attention but lots of open ?s on it.

With tens of millions of people in one pool, the costs come down dramatically.

It's not spending $1 to save $10, it's about spending $6-7 versus $10 and getting more coverage.

As a PT who often tries to get durable medical equipment covered for patients I fucking hate Medicare replacement plans.

Get used to it. MA penetration is only going up and Seniors love them....

Yeah that’s fine but can they actually cover some fucking DME and maybe don’t make patients appeal to peer to peer when trying to get admitted to inpatient rehab.

Yep

My experience Leads me to feel the same way about Medicare Advantage plans. They offer some nice sounding trinkets then save (make their profits) partly by restricting/obstructing needed care.

Yep

My experience Leads me to feel the same way about Medicare Advantage plans. They offer some nice sounding trinkets then save (make their profits) partly by restricting/obstructing needed care.

I understand that view. But the program is set up where the feds actually share the savings with the carriers and there are huge incentives to focus on patient care through the Stars program and of course medical policy. The extra benefits are much more than just trinkets too: drug coverage, dental, vision, medically tailored meals, care giver support, transportation, social isolation, etc. These are all things that address cost and quality of care, issues that Medicare misses.

As we move to value based programs, I think we will see much less "mother may I" programs and instead the onus will be on the risk bearing provider to manage the total cost of care. I think that is a really good thing and one of my biggest concerns with original medicare which solely relies on a basic medical policy with massive loopholes.

Id expect about half the market to end up in MA plans by 2030....

Last edited:
The supplemental coverages that you support could be where private insurance morphs to as we phase into allowing everyone to participate in a Medicare product.

Do the private companies get reimbursed by Medicare for these plans as many people I know (including most who aren't poor) don't have to pay any premiums for those supplemental plans? Is this used to mitigate lower Medicare payments for services?

There's clearly a chasm between what things cost to Medicare or private insurers, but billions are wasted because caregivers and hospitals hyper-inflate prices waiting to negotiate their fees. Whether it's the classic ruses of $10 aspirin or $50 packages of Kleenex, or the bill my buddy's insurance company got for his one day stay for a hip replacement of $54,000.

Yes, it probably got negotiated down, but being that high is outrageous. No other business would even consider starting negotiating at that point as people would just ignore them and go somewhere else. It's obscene to see what they can get away with.

What happens after the overpayment or the totally immoral practice of going to an in network hospital only to get a bill from an out of network doctor, etc, is that untold families are ruined financially and have their credit destroyed. Having seen how egregiously doctor and hospitals act in payment matters, it would be fair not to let any doctor or hospital executive have credit scores of over 450 until they stop ruining people's lives.

Back