• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Role of the Media

Lol the “being silenced” crowd all enjoy some of the largest platforms in all of media

It’s a way of turning a material crisis into a symbolic one, the only thing these intellectuals know how to do

Agree with this.

And that piece, while making some good points (that Princeton letter sounds ridiculous), is hyperbolic to the extreme and pretty tone deaf. And Taibbi (doesn't he write for Rolling Stone?) talking about the left having the "bureaucratic juice to shut down mass media efforts to ridicule its thinking" is obviously silly.

And writing that piece in the age of Trumpublicanism is pretty laughable -- he actually said this: "The saving grace of the right used to be that it was too stupid to rule....[followed] The right still has more than its share of wing-nuts" Yeah, that's not going to cut it, Matt. People are longing for the stupidity of what the right "used to be".

Speaking of the Princeton letter, Taibbi mocks that letter and the "extraordinarily privileged" people who signed it while defending the cancel culture letter, signed by extraordinarily privileged people who are not only not silenced, but never shut the fuck up.

Taibbi was cancelled by the left over a year ago after he called out the idiots who breathlessly promoted #RUSSIAGATE and made them look even more foolish than normal.

And color me shocked there hasn't been more Tunnels discussion on the Museum of African American History graphic which claims hard work and self-reliance are 'white values'.

First time seeing it today, but I don't really understand the outrage overall with the MAAH graphic, tbh. A lot of that nails the average white American to a T.

First time seeing it today, but I don't really understand the outrage overall with the MAAH graphic, tbh. A lot of that nails the average white American to a T.

It's offensively stupid. And if I was not white and saw that, I would probably take issue with concepts like "hard work," being on time, planning for the future, and being polite being "white" concepts.

To clarify, norms that the average white American would value, not strictly behaviors observed or objects owned.

(i.e. hardworking norm observed and expressed but in reality just looking for the shortest path to success)

Like when they say white Americans typically value "meat and potatoes" aesthetics, I think of how my Dad's home is furnished with a bunch of bland shit from Pier One and he's in a sprawl of Tampa where 1k houses are all of 4 different varieties. Where do you think the definition for "white-bread" comes from?

Maybe the graphic isn't a science that people need to prove wrong and more of a call to reflect on the norms that influence your behavior and how you came to hold those norms.

Taibbi was cancelled by the left over a year ago after he called out the idiots who breathlessly promoted #RUSSIAGATE and made them look even more foolish than normal.

And color me shocked there hasn't been more Tunnels discussion on the Museum of African American History graphic which claims hard work and self-reliance are 'white values'.

To be clear I'm 100% on board with Taibbi here. I like a lot of his criticisms of Dems, I just think he and a lot of the media VASTLY inflate their own importance to the broader culture.

It's offensively stupid. And if I was not white and saw that, I would probably take issue with concepts like "hard work," being on time, planning for the future, and being polite being "white" concepts.

You're assuming the graphic - in saying these norms have commonly been associated with white Americans through cultural and social activity (movies, books, business operation, housing practices) - is prescribing the inverse onto anyone who isn't white?

Last edited:
You're assuming the graphic - in saying these norms have commonly been associated with white Americans through cultural and social activity (movies, books, business operation, housing practices) - is prescribing the inverse onto anyone who isn't white?

Not directly, but it certainly does by implication. Logically, when creating a graphic listing "aspects of white culture," it would not make sense to pick aspects of white culture that are most commonly shared with other cultures, right? That wouldn't be very helpful to your premise.

To your prior point, I agree that these are aspirations, not what the Museum actually thinks white people are out there doing.

That White American values graphic is like a Rorschach test, in that people all see different ways to be offended by it.

Not directly, but it certainly does by implication. Logically, when creating a graphic listing "aspects of white culture," it would not make sense to pick aspects of white culture that are most commonly shared with other cultures, right? That wouldn't be very helpful to your premise.

To your prior point, I agree that these are aspirations, not what the Museum actually thinks white people are out there doing.

Even if you consider all those "aspects" to be positive and universal - different cultures have different focuses, ethics, and norms, and you're projecting a grievance onto other people that they might not feel.

Yep. Those are norms and practices that white people have established and tend to be pretty good at because they established them. Sure some people who aren’t white play by those rules and do fine. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t call it out especially because those rules and norms often sanction people who aren’t white.

We need to question these norms because it benefits white people too. Think about wearing suits to work. We call that “professional.” But if you look at pictures and other depictions of Europeans and white Americans, one question emerges. Why are they wearing so many clothes?

Why is it we look at art of Native Americans and Europeans and think they people who lived here for centuries and wore few clothes were savages as opposed to dressing for the climate and the visitors who wore a ton of clothes were civilized?

Now we are to the point where even white guys are wondering why they wear so many clothes to work.

That’s just one example.

Kory, which sprawl is your dad in?

30/45 min north of city proper - still in the Metro area - old farmland turned into several combined suburbs

Yep. Those are norms and practices that white people have established and tend to be pretty good at because they established them. Sure some people who aren’t white play by those rules and do fine. But that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t call it out especially because those rules and norms often sanction people who aren’t white.

So, to be clear, we should "call out" white culture if an employer insists you show up on time? How about dinner reservations? (my wife will certainly be on board with that one). I disagree we need to be "calling out" rational thinking and politeness as white constructs.

So, to be clear, we should "call out" white culture if an employer insists you show up on time? How about dinner reservations? (my wife will certainly be on board with that one). I disagree we need to be "calling out" rational thinking and politeness as white constructs.

Timeliness =/= a cultural emphasis on timeliness
Politeness =/= a cultural emphasis on politeness

It's not about what you personally consider necessary aspects of culture, it's about taking a broader view of culture and recognizing that not all cultures are the same, and don't all share the same emphases

Fair point, but is that watered-down view of the graphic even true? Most of the graphic strikes me as some shit that I would come up with to stereotype British people, not how I would describe "white" culture.

And how do the defenders of the graphic address the fact that the Smithsonian took it down and apologized for it?

Fair point, but is that watered-down view of the graphic even true? Most of the graphic strikes me as some shit that I would come up with to stereotype British people, not how I would describe "white" culture.

And how do the defenders of the graphic address the fact that the Smithsonian took it down and apologized for it?

That they were pressured to conform to the norms they called out.

That brings to mind another one. We grew up with the norm that you don’t talk about politics and religion in polite conversation. That serves to stifle dissent and organizing. It also builds a false consensus for those in power.

Thomas Chatterton Williams on Race, Identity, and “Cancel Culture”

CHOTINER: I suppose I’m wondering whether we’re all drawing the line somewhere, and therefore if in fact both you and people to your left who you view as restrictive are drawing lines on a spectrum, rather than there being some giant chasm about what the meaning of liberalism is.

WILLIAMS: I think it’s right and not right. I think it’s absolutely undeniable that nobody really advocates for complete total speech without any consequence or absolute freedom of expression. There’s a line that most of us agree on somewhere. We wouldn’t want calls for pedophilia. But that’s not actually what we’re talking about. We’re not saying that there are no standards or no lines. This letter is about the climate of censoriousness and self-censorship and fear that happens when people are made an example of on social media with no recourse and there are calls for their stigmatization. That’s the part of it that goes beyond just speech or disagreement within the bounds of civility. It’s this extra step that seeks to punish and also banish from the community a respectable opinion. What happens is that your employer is contacted and you must be fired from your job, but then you’re supposed to not be employable anywhere. The really seriously troubling case that I can think of that happened recently is David Shor. That’s a quintessential example of what we’re talking about.

CHOTINER: Right, so David Shor was a researcher who tweeted a research paper done by Omar Wasow, whom I have interviewed, and who is a very smart guy who studies how protests affect elections. People on Twitter criticized Shor, and then his employer, Civis Analytics, panicked and fired him. I think most people who have been following these issues view that case as pretty disgraceful. Are there other cases where you think that people have been fired and have been told they should never be hired again for sins that minor?

WILLIAMS: This is not my personal example, but I think there was a great amount of debate over [the resignation of former New York Times opinion editor] James Bennet. I wasn’t organizing a letter around something like that, because I think that gets in the way of making a larger point.

There have been many, many academics who have been silenced. There was a U.C.L.A. professor who got in serious trouble for just reading “Letter from Birmingham Jail.” [William Peris, a lecturer in political science, reportedly came into conflict with students over his decision to read aloud the N-word in King’s letter and show a documentary about lynching. U.C.L.A. told The New Yorker that there was no formal investigation, but that the situation was being “reviewed.”] There is an academic at the University of Chicago who questioned some aspects of the orthodoxy on Black Lives Matter. [Harald Uhlig, a professor of economics, compared Black Lives Matter activists to “flat-earthers and creationists.” A student then claimed that Uhlig had made racially discriminatory remarks in his classroom. The university conducted an investigation and found that there was no basis for further proceedings.]

WILLIAMS: I don’t want to live in a world where the white men I work with have to be reduced to being as insecure as my father used to be.

CHOTINER: Do you think we’re really in danger of that? You said your dad grew up in the segregated South. I’m a white man who works for a liberal media institution. I feel like I’m very far from what you just described.

Back