• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Role of the Media

Donald Trump has never declared bankruptcy. More #fakenews.

You're really bad at trolling. A good troll would have said "Wow. So he made himself a billionaire four separate times?"

I just got a great/funny/sad/horrifying image in my head about what would happen if Disney had bought Fox News and changed all the news stories to be about Disney movies/properties as if they were real.

I certainly understand all the interest in rural, white, working-class Trump voters in the first few weeks after the election last year, as they were one of the key stories of that campaign. However, at this point the continuing interest in interviewing the same type of people over and over is growing tiresome. They almost never have anything new to say ("Yeah, I still love Trump, even though I'll admit he hasn't made things any better for the small town/rural county I live in"), and it's clear that the vast majority of the voters that are interviewed will never change. It's almost as if the news media outlets doing these stories somehow expect or hope that these folks will say they've changed their minds and have turned against Trump. If the Democrats do well in next year's elections, I wonder if there will be stories about the increased black-female-urban/suburban turnout, or just more stories about these rural Trump rubes and how they feel about the election losses ("Yeah, I'm still with Trump, the libs just stole the election", etc, etc.)

Last edited:
I certainly understand all the interest in rural, white, working-class Trump voters in the first few weeks after the election last year, as they were one of the key stories of that campaign. However, at this point the continuing interest in interviewing the same type of people over and over is growing tiresome. They almost never have anything new to say ("Yeah, I still love Trump, even though I'll admit he hasn't made things any better for the small town/rural county I live in"), and it's clear that the vast majority of the voters that are interviewed will never change. It's almost as if the news media outlets doing these stories somehow expect or hope that these folks will say they've changed their minds and have turned against Trump. If the Democrats do well in next year's elections, I wonder if there will be stories about the increased black-female-urban/suburban turnout, or just more stories about these rural Trump rubes and how they feel about the election losses ("Yeah, I'm still with Trump, the libs just stole the election", etc, etc.)

They'll go back to talking about soccer moms and mama grizzlies.

One of the most disturbing things about this whole Trump fiasco is the significant section of the American population that is hungering for a dictator.

Well congress hasn't gotten anything done in 30 years

Because Republicans in Congress represent the portions of our population who want a dictator.

One of the most disturbing things about this whole Trump fiasco is the significant section of the American population that is hungering for a dictator.

My guess is that these types of Americans have always been here - recent events, such as Trump's election, have simply allowed these people to become more prominent, and they feel as if they can now publicly state what they've privately always believed (as probably did their parents, and grandparents, and so on). Having a strongman who makes decisions for you and does things instantly is no doubt appealing to lots of folks, especially if they think said strongman represents them and will never turn on them (in fact, of course, many dictators eventually turn on their supporters after wiping out their enemies). Democracy is often a slow and messy business, and it appears that, even in the US of A, there are many citizens who would prefer authoritarian rule - as long as said rule favors them, and hurts groups and people they dislike.

My guess is that these types of Americans have always been here - recent events, such as Trump's election, have simply allowed these people to become more prominent, and they feel as if they can now publicly state what they've privately always believed (as probably did their parents, and grandparents, and so on). Having a strongman who makes decisions for you and does things instantly is no doubt appealing to lots of folks, especially if they think said strongman represents them and will never turn on them (in fact, of course, many dictators eventually turn on their supporters after wiping out their enemies). Democracy is often a slow and messy business, and it appears that, even in the US of A, there are many citizens who would prefer authoritarian rule - as long as said rule favors them, and hurts groups and people they dislike.

Well said

Great post.

And Republicans ushered this in by whipping their base into a frenzy with claims that the black Muslim president who hates America was trying to be “King Obama.”

Back