• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Role of the Media

Roseanne provides a counter narrative to the success of Black Panther and appeals to the desire to treat working class whites as some foreign culture.

Liberals are freaking out about it on my Facebook. I didn’t watch Roseanne then and I won’t watch it now. I do think it’s poor form to judge a sitcom after two episodes, even a reboot. And it’s definitely poor form to celebrate bring new voices to TV and film and throw a hissy about a show about working class white people.

Roseanne provides a counter narrative to the success of Black Panther and appeals to the desire to treat working class whites as some foreign culture.

Liberals are freaking out about it on my Facebook. I didn’t watch Roseanne then and I won’t watch it now. I do think it’s poor form to judge a sitcom after two episodes, even a reboot. And it’s definitely poor form to celebrate bring new voices to TV and film and throw a hissy about a show about working class white people.

I didn't watch the show back in its heyday, and I have no intention to do so now; I didn't think it was all that good. I do think it's funny that so many Trumpites were so worked up about NFL players "disrespecting" the national anthem by kneeling, yet Roseanne may have the all-time disrespect record when it comes to the national anthem with that infamous 1990 performance. But she now supports Trump, so all is forgiven. At any rate, wasting so much time talking about this when there are so many other more serious things to discuss on these shows is just more proof of what everyone is talking about here.

I forget who said it on here but Tucker always has the expression of someone who just saw a vagina for the first time.

No, that’s his unchanging expression upon meeting another liberal pussy for the umpteent thousandth time.

I watched NBC's Meet the Press and ABC's This Week this morning, and while they both did briefly mention the Sacramento police shooting and subsequent protests, and talked some about Trump's foreign policy, they also spent a good deal of time discussing the "cultural implications" of the ratings success of the Roseanne reboot this past week. Lots of talk about what great ratings it had, Trump praising the show, and will this lead Hollywood to make more shows "friendly to Trump supporters", etc. Gawd. Who really gives a shit? It's a reboot of an old TV show. While I don't agree that CNN and MSNBC are just as bad as Fox, in that they haven't turned themselves into a relentless propaganda organ for this administration, I do think they're both mostly tabloid, National Enquirer-level yellow journalism, and they do focus almost entirely on trivial, ratings-boosting crap instead of hard news. Having said that, like Ph said, there are lots of other news sources out there that are much better, like NPR. The BBC is good too, and PBS NewsHour has some quality stuff.

This is an aberration. It had a massive following when it went off the air. It also has a cast that has millions of fans. The cast has had success post Roseanne. This is in no way a typical event.

Given the rampant me-tooism of Hollyweird, I wouldn't be surprised to see other shows try to copy the formula. Maybe a Kirk Cameron sitcom.

This is an aberration. It had a massive following when it went off the air. It also has a cast that has millions of fans. The cast has had success post Roseanne. This is in no way a typical event.

Given the rampant me-tooism of Hollyweird, I wouldn't be surprised to see other shows try to copy the formula. Maybe a Kirk Cameron sitcom.

Yeah, Scott Baio has to be kicking himself about those sexual harassment allegations. Right now would be the perfect time for a reboot of Charles in Charge. He might even have gotten his buddy Trump to put in a guest appearance. LOL.

Good old Scott Baio. In the late 90s, we used to see the Odd Couple of Scott Baio and Robert Blake at The Rainbow. Of course, at that time, the weekend bouncer/door man was Joey Buttafuco.

All the while at the moment CNNs lead headline is “Ted Nudgent Calls Parkland Kids Liars”. For fucks sake.....

Today the lead headline is "Book Says Conway is #1 leaker"

At this point CNN exists to troll Trump into firing people

Reporting and analyzing cultural events is reasonable.

I get most of my news from local paper, 3 websites (npr, bbc, NYT), and this place. I only started with NYT subscription after Trump criticized them. I think they generally do a good job.

I don’t watch much tv news.

No, that’s his unchanging expression upon meeting another liberal pussy for the umpteent thousandth time.

Given your track record here, I don’t think you need to be referring to anyone as a pussy. You are a shit-talking coward.

Given your track record here, I don’t think you need to be referring to anyone as a pussy. You are a shit-talking coward.

One of the few out here with the Courage to call out blatant Dem corruption and spying on US citizens.

NPR, BBC and The NY Times.

Whew. That’s a lot of news. Maybe you could choose one since they basically parrot each other

What is rather pathetic about “this extreme danger to our democracy” (sic) is how long this has been going on in mainstream media. This has been recorded and spoken of ad nausea and till now the only progressive response was to point and shout “tin-hat!”

This is another example of the longstanding practice in American mainstream media to fall in line with an approved narrative..of what Noam Chomsky derided as the “Agenda setting press that takes its cues from the New York Times”

From the Church Commission to CNN’s Fake Baghdad Blue Room, this activity has been the norm in American Media.

It can lead anchors to caution-threaten viewers, such as during the Clinton email scandal, to “let us tell you what it all means because you don’t really have the right to view them”

^ — this last bit was more echo-chambered repetition brought to you by Chris Cuomo, Mika and Joe, Alyson Camerota, Andrea Mitchell and the usual cast as they parroted the party media lines during the email release.

Time for many of you to wake up and get in the game.

What is rather pathetic about “this extreme danger to our democracy” (sic) is how long this has been going on in mainstream media. This has been recorded and spoken of ad nausea and till now the only progressive response was to point and shout “tin-hat!”

This is another example of the longstanding practice in American mainstream media to fall in line with an approved narrative..of what Noam Chomsky derided as the “Agenda setting press that takes its cues from the New York Times”

From the Church Commission to CNN’s Fake Baghdad Blue Room, this activity has been the norm in American Media.

It can lead anchors to caution-threaten viewers, such as during the Clinton email scandal, to “let us tell you what it all means because you don’t really have the right to view them”

^ — this last bit was more echo-chambered repetition brought to you by Chris Cuomo, Mika and Joe, Alyson Camerota, Andrea Mitchell and the usual cast as they parroted the party media lines during the email release.

Time for many of you to wake up and get in the game.

Btt — Wake up Deacfreak, you can’t walk in fog your entire life. Time has come bro..pull your pants up and get in the game

An all-newsroom email from one station news director read: "Let me be absolutely clear here... These MUST Run. If they do not, my job is on the line. I don't say that to scare you by any means but I do say this so you understand how serious SBG is about this project."

"I feel bad because they're seeing these people they've trusted for decades tell them things they know are essentially propaganda," one local anchor said.

http://money.cnn.com/2018/04/01/media/sinclair-anchor-promos/index.html

Back