• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Role of the Media

The oped from the Hill that Sailor posted is totally on point. In the current news cycle we've got:

- Hundreds of protesting Palestinians shot by Israeli border guards

- Trump proposed military pull out of Syria

- Syrian Army nearly eradicated ISIS/al nusra, confronting Turkish forces

- Mass Yemeni casualties from Cholera epedemic caused by US backed Saudi war and blockaid

- Multiple statewide teacher strikes, with more to come

- Day 4 of Sacramento protests over Stejon Clark shooting

- post trial release of bodycam footage of Alton Sterling shooting basically proving his murder

- CRAPO bank deregulation bill passage

- new tax bill

- pending Supreme court Janus union dues decision

not going to pretend that Sailor wouldn't be equally obsessed with a scandal plagued Democratic administration.

I wasn't particularly critical of Obama while he was in office, although maybe I should have been. His administration is looking more scandalous by the day.

The problem with that Hill op-ed is it’s just a back door defense of Trump. “Don’t cover Trump and his mess! Here are other things to cover!”

Now there are plenty of things to cover and news organizations should restrain themselves from being all Trump all the time. But we cannot normalize this President.

Lol—yea, good thing we’ve moved on from when we had a corrupt administration in the WH.

The problem with that Hill op-ed is it’s just a back door defense of Trump. “Don’t cover Trump and his mess! Here are other things to cover!”

Now there are plenty of things to cover and news organizations should restrain themselves from being all Trump all the time. But we cannot normalize this President.

I would argue that the 24 hour news cycle obsessing over Trump’s every move and unethical/illegal action is doing more to normalize him than covering less of it would. As mdmh points out, there’s an awful lot going on the in the world right now outside of the Trump soap opera.

I would argue that the 24 hour news cycle obsessing over Trump’s every move and unethical/illegal action is doing more to normalize him than covering less of it would. As mdmh points out, there’s an awful lot going on the in the world right now outside of the Trump soap opera.

We should probably limit ranger and nedick to 2 posts a day

That's a strawman argument. You know damn well that news coverage itself isn't what is being criticized. The obsessive apolitical, grandstanding tabloid scandal focus of the coverage is what's being criticized.

"There might well be journalism to be had in the sagas of McDougal and Daniels, but CNN has found little of it. At some point, the sensational must lead to news of substance. A journalistic conclusion that Trump is a cad hardly moves the “this is news” needle on the public barometer.
CNN’s warped obsession with reporting about supposed adultery demonstrates a larger problem at the once-proud and groundbreaking channel. CNN’s focus is not on news, but on distracting itself and the nation’s news consumers with peripheral and sensation gibberish that fails to enhance the national dialogue. In the run-up and aftermath to the recently passed government spending bill, CNN mentioned McDougal and Daniels more than three times as often as the spending bill. The spending bill, of course, isn’t photogenic, but it impacts citizens way more than a playmate model."

It could just be cowardice that forces CNN to focus on the apolitical, instead of you know, Trump's egregious governing. I don't personally believe it's cowardice. I believe the focus is on the scandal because the corporate cronyism of Trump's administration is tacitly encouraged by the entire donor class.

Small government conservatives have to love these authentic voices of the local news reporting on their local community the way the framers intended.

Apparently we're not paying enough attention to a cholera outbreak in Yemen.
Great use of sarcasm - there are a million suspected cases since 2016 in Syria, over 600,000 confirmed cases. It's the worst cholera outbreak in recorded human history.

Great use of sarcasm - there are a million suspected cases since 2016 in Syria, over 600,000 confirmed cases. It's the worst cholera outbreak in recorded human history.

All the while at the moment CNNs lead headline is “Ted Nudgent Calls Parkland Kids Liars”. For fucks sake.....

Aside from the pointless virtue signaling personal dig at me - which was not only factually mistaken but considered by some board members as necessary (both the personal dig and being mistaken) - the posts on The Hill article by MDMH have the strongest he has had in a long time, keep up the good work and Happy Easter!

I watched NBC's Meet the Press and ABC's This Week this morning, and while they both did briefly mention the Sacramento police shooting and subsequent protests, and talked some about Trump's foreign policy, they also spent a good deal of time discussing the "cultural implications" of the ratings success of the Roseanne reboot this past week. Lots of talk about what great ratings it had, Trump praising the show, and will this lead Hollywood to make more shows "friendly to Trump supporters", etc. Gawd. Who really gives a shit? It's a reboot of an old TV show. While I don't agree that CNN and MSNBC are just as bad as Fox, in that they haven't turned themselves into a relentless propaganda organ for this administration, I do think they're both mostly tabloid, National Enquirer-level yellow journalism, and they do focus almost entirely on trivial, ratings-boosting crap instead of hard news. Having said that, like Ph said, there are lots of other news sources out there that are much better, like NPR. The BBC is good too, and PBS NewsHour has some quality stuff.

Last edited:
Back