• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roll The Quad - Wake Forest NIL with noteworthy support

Maybe I'm thinking about this totally wrong, but I see more potential upside in this than it sounds like others do. I'm looking at this primarily through the lens of recruiting rankings. I just looked at our class rankings (according to Rivals) for the past ten years, and we've averaged the 62nd best class over that timeframe. There are 65 Power Five schools in the country. What teams that are currently behind us in those rankings are going to suddenly find a bunch of NIL money and jump ahead of us? I'm going to go with basically no one. It's not like we've been recruiting against Alabama this whole time and now all of a sudden we're going to get our ass kicked going up against them.

The way I see it, we've consistently outperformed our recruiting rankings (we sure as shit have been better than the 62nd P5 team out of 65 the past few years), and if classes in the 60's are our floor (because schools like Buffalo, Western Michigan, FAU, and Marshall are not about to start paying players six figures a year and jump us), maybe with some NIL money in the mix, we can actually pull in some players that we wouldn't have gotten in the past. If we keep recruiting at the same level, but now have NIL as a supplemental tool at our disposal, I see upside in that, and don't see how we take a step backwards.

We can use NIL in targeted ways to keep players we recruit who develop into strong contributors, go after select transfers, and maybe chase some HS kids who previously were out of reach. The only area in which I think we struggle to compete is the "develop a true star and have them poached" scenario (i.e. AT Perry being offered $1M by USC and taking it), and perhaps we lose a guy in that case every now and then. But is that enough to derail the program? I don't know. I don't think so.

I cannot imagine in a couple of years that boosters at a 6-6 SEC team or BiG10 team are going to continue to be enthusiastic about ponying up millions to keep their best players or get new better players with the hope of improving. There will be donor fatigue, especially if results don’t improve after dropping big cash.
I don’t guess this will lead to more realistic contracts for coaches. I’m pissed if I just supported a coach with a big contract, bought him a bunch of elite players then have to pay him a guaranteed contract after he doesn’t win. If I’m a ( big enough) booster wanting return on investment I leverage the coaching contracts better and put money into the players. The coach gets his money if he wins with them. I entice the coach by letting him know we will deliver the payroll for the players.
I guarantee the player payroll, not the buyout.

Last edited:
The “simple” thing here is not understanding that there are not 8 more schools that the Big 10 and SEC can add to increase the pot enough that each school will make more money than what they are currently making.
My understanding is that they will still want some bottom feeders athletically. When Cam Lemons, who I dislike strongly but is right about some stuff, was explaining what will happen when (not if) the ACC is raided and the landscape shifts to a professional football league, he said they will want 10 or so additional schools to be the equivalent of what G5 is now, easier games to schedule at the start of the year. His assertion was that schools like Wake would be brought along to fill that role, but I don't think so. I think it'll just be the biggest 4 ACC schools plus Oregon, Washington, and maybe BYU (huge national religious fanbase).

NJD lives to make WF fans feel crappy about being WF fans. It gets old. He's not as smart, well-connected or clairvoyant as he thinks he is.

My understanding is that they will still want some bottom feeders athletically. When Cam Lemons, who I dislike strongly but is right about some stuff, was explaining what will happen when (not if) the ACC is raided and the landscape shifts to a professional football league, he said they will want 10 or so additional schools to be the equivalent of what G5 is now, easier games to schedule at the start of the year. His assertion was that schools like Wake would be brought along to fill that role, but I don't think so. I think it'll just be the biggest 4 ACC schools plus Oregon, Washington, and maybe BYU (huge national religious fanbase).
Cam Lemons doesn’t know anything more than anyone else does about these issues.

Cam Lemons doesn’t know anything more than anyone else does about these issues.
Would argue he knows more than your average fan, but that's not hard since most fans understandably just want to watch their school win and don't obsess over this stuff. His type of attitude is also exhibit A of why we are where we are (only cares about football and football money, pretends to be a social justice warrior about how football players deserve to be paid while showing 0 interest in the rest of college athletes and what happens to them in this NFL 2.0 mess).

It really only takes reading and research to know what is going to happen in general. The details are the only thing left to determine (which schools are invited before the break is made, do they eliminate all non-football sports or maintain some/all of them in the new organization, does the new organization regulate roster movement and player payment in some way, do athletes have to be enrolled in classes at all, etc.). For those that follow Conor's new board, he just wrote his own rather sad explanation for why college sports are ruined and are on a pretty transparent death path.

Would argue he knows more than your average fan, but that's not hard since most fans understandably just want to watch their school win and don't obsess over this stuff. His type of attitude is also exhibit A of why we are where we are (only cares about football and football money, pretends to be a social justice warrior about how football players deserve to be paid while showing 0 interest in the rest of college athletes and what happens to them in this NFL 2.0 mess).

It really only takes reading and research to know what is going to happen in general. The details are the only thing left to determine (which schools are invited before the break is made, do they eliminate all non-football sports or maintain some/all of them in the new organization, does the new organization regulate roster movement and player payment in some way, do athletes have to be enrolled in classes at all, etc.). For those that follow Conor's new board, he just wrote his own rather sad explanation for why college sports are ruined and are on a pretty transparent death path.
Well, then go follow Rutgers (that seems like a thriving athletic program...) or pro sports rather than fixating on predicting armageddon for WF athletics. FWIW, this has been a theme that others have tried to push onto WF fans for more than 30 years. Through football expansion and realignment. WF can't keep up. Well, WF is still keeping up.

Well, then go follow Rutgers or pro sports rather than fixating on predicting armageddon for WF athletics. FWIW, that has been a theme that others have tried to push onto WF fans for more than 30 years. Through football expansion and realignment. WF can't keep up. Well, WF is still keeping up.
And the ACC still exists.

Well, then go follow Rutgers or pro sports rather than fixating on predicting armageddon for WF athletics. FWIW, that has been a theme that others have tried to push onto WF fans for more than 30 years. Through football expansion and realignment. WF can't keep up. Well, WF is still keeping up.
What do you mean keeping up? On the field, yes 100% we can keep up. That doesn't matter though. This is not the same as the past 30 years.

What do you mean keeping up? On the field, yes 100% we can keep up. That doesn't matter though. This is not the same as the past 30 years.
You spewed the same theme on the 247 Boards for months. Now you are trolling here. It gets old.

WF is in the middle of its best run ever in football. WF is nationally competitive is every sport that it fields a team except for women's hoop and volleyball, and there is hope for optimism there as well.

Going on and on about how the ACC will break up, and WF will be left in the dust has been around for decades. It hasn't happened yet. If it happens, it happens. WF will make the best of it, but stop trying to beat everyone down here about how the future is hopeless. WF will field a football team next year; according to recruiting rankings, WF is bringing in its best football recruiting class ever.

Without divisions, WF will have a better chance to get to the ACCCG. In 2024, if WF wins the ACC (which it almost did last year), WF will be in the CFP. Beyond that, things change every year. Maybe they change for the better for WF and maybe not. We shall see.

Your act of crapping on those that support WF athletics is tired. If the ACC busts in 2029, and WF is relegated to the Sun Belt, come back and gloat. Until then, STFU.

You spewed the same theme on the 247 Boards for months. Now you are trolling here. It gets old.

WF is in the middle of its best run ever in football. WF is nationally competitive is every sport that it fields a team except for women's hoop and volleyball, and there is hope for optimism there as well.

Going on and on about how the ACC will break up, and WF will be left in the dust has been around for decades. It hasn't happened yet. If it happens, it happens. WF will make the best of it, but stop trying to beat everyone down here about how the future is hopeless. WF will field a football team next year; according to recruiting rankings, WF is bringing in its best football recruiting class ever.

Without divisions, WF will have a better chance to get to the ACCCG. In 2024, if WF wins the ACC (which it almost did last year), WF will be in the CFP. Beyond that, things change every year. Maybe they change for the better for WF and maybe not. We shall see.

Your act of crapping on those that support WF athletics is tired. If the ACC busts in 2029, and WF is relegated to the Sun Belt, come back and gloat. Until then, STFU.
Not intentionally annoying just soul crushing as a huge sports fan to see this death spiral. Wake football imo will struggle to go bowling next year (ceiling raises considerably if the offensive line exceeds expectations), but 2024 and 2025 can potentially be very fun years indeed. With Shah providing Forbes with a salary budget for basketball now I expect that to take off towards national relevancy too, but in this mess of a landscape basketball doesn't matter for shit since it actually loses money for most schools.

Ehhhh, we got to the Acc championship last year. I think it’s a stretch to say we almost won it.

Not intentionally annoying just soul crushing as a huge sports fan to see this death spiral. Wake football imo will struggle to go bowling next year (ceiling raises considerably if the offensive line exceeds expectations), but 2024 and 2025 can potentially be very fun years indeed. With Shah providing Forbes with a salary budget for basketball now I expect that to take off towards national relevancy too, but in this mess of a landscape basketball doesn't matter for shit since it actually loses money for most schools.

None of us can do anything about any of this. We pay John Currie well to deal with such matters. Just relax and enjoy being a fan. Agreed. Let's please just move on.

I’m just not sure how the Clawson tenure can lead folks to believe football is in a bad spot overall. TV ratings matter. We’ve been top 2-3 in the ACC for like 3 years. Wins matter. I think we’re 2 or 3 in the ACC since like 2016. Let’s enjoy the present and see what happens. I still think all of this is overblown. There aren’t teams the SEC and Big 10 can really add other than Clemson and FSU that will add money.

Last edited:
Football is in a good spot. Hopefully it will stay in a good spot.

FWIW, the rise of TCU football can provide an example of how uncertain football future can be.

When the Southwest Conference broke up in 1995. TCU was a non-factor in football. They had been to two bowls in the previous 27 years, and they were at best, the seventh best and/or most relevant football program in the State of Texas (behind Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, Texas Tech, SMU and Houston). When the SWC broke up, no conference wanted small private irrelevant TCU.

Texas, A&M, Baylor and Texas Tech were invited to join the Big 8 to make the Big 12. Houston was invited to join CUSA, which eventually became the AAC. With no other takers, TCU, SMU and Rice were relegated to the awful WAC conference.

TCU football was dead and was never coming back. The Power Conferences had left TCU behind and no one cared. Except TCU. They kept playing football.

TCU turned moderate success in the WAC into an 2001 invite into the CUSA to again join Houston. After a couple of strong years in CUSA, TCU was invited to join the Mountain West, where they actually made it to the Rose Bowl in 2010 and had a perfect season. TCU had then accepted an invite to join the Big East, when the Big 12 came calling to invite them back to the Big Boy table. In 2014, TCU got screwed out of CFP invite when they mysteriously dropped in the playoff standings after beating Iowa State 55-3 to end the season. They kept playing football.

This year, no SEC team other than UGA is in the CFP. No ACC or Pac 12 team is in the CFP. TCU is in and they are seeded ahead of tOSU. Little irrelevant private left-for dead TCU. They just kept playing football.

Now, if there was a message board in 1995, I'm sure those with NJD's perspective would be harping over and over about the fool's errand that is TCU football. We are a small private school and irrelevant even in our home state; non-Power Conferences don't even want us. What is the point of going to WAC or the CUSA or MWC? TCU can't compete with big money/big donor schools like Texas, Texas A&M and Oklahoma. They have all of the money, power and prestige. We are just Little Old Horned Frogs. Even so, they kept playing football ... look where they are now!

No one would've imagined it in 1995. No one would have predicted it in August. The CFP was already determined:

Bama
tOSU
UGA
and one of Michigan, Clemson, A&M, Oklahoma or USC.

WF will keep playing football, and for those that think its a waste of time. Go F yourself.

Last edited:
Back