• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roll The Quad - Wake Forest NIL with noteworthy support

This is where I am as well. I've about lost ALL interest in college basketball and football might go that same path. Either college sports will realize it needs to self-preserve or it won't. Me stressing only worsens my health.

I can relate to the baseball cards. I coached youth baseball even after my boys graduated out. I just loved helping kids enjoy the sport and developing teams. Then, along came travel-ball and every "Karen" and "Kevin" known to man. They completely ruined my passion for coaching youth sports. Every Karen/Kevin thought their little Johnny was Chipper Jones. I left it and never looked back! You haven't lived until you've dealt with drunk, redneck parents during a little league baseball game.
Agreed on the youth baseball part. I learned during the 2020 season that as much as I love college sports and am passionate about it, I don't have the same level of enthusiasm for it since then and this NIL stuff only strengthens that feeling. I don't care what folks say, a college player shouldn't be making millions of dollars to play college football. Is this the road we really want to go down? Doesn't mean I won't watch it. I just disagree with it.

Yeah, enough with the hand wringing about the end of college sports. Enjoy it for what it is or move on from it.

I mean, whether or not he’s right about the final outcome, I’m pretty sure he should be allowed to discuss and speculate, as that’s what the boards are for. Whatever college sports are going through right now, it has the potential to become rather seismic, though it may not manifest that way.

I’ll still watch some games, but my interest is dwindling…Fast. And I’m in my mid-30s. I can only imagine how disinterested many of the older Deac fans will become. Anyone who looks at what’s happening right now and thinks “yeah, THIS is great for the sport”, is full of shit/in denial.

I don’t think anybody is saying THIS is good for the sport.

Baseball free agency started in 1972. I’m a Pirate fan. In the 50 years since free agency started, the Pirates have won two playoff series - both in 1979. And in those early days of FA, the Pirates actually competed for players - they traded for a two-time batting champ during that season who put them over the top.

Since then, as the economic reality of the sport has come into focus, somewhere along the way they really just stopped trying to be competitive. As a bottom feeder with no salary cap, they have won zero playoff series in 43 years. Players start with the Pirates and then go elsewhere to make real money and play in the postseason. And yeah, you bet that has diminished my baseball fandom.

I’m not saying WF will be a bottom feeder, but it’s hard to envision them outspending most other teams. And yeah, WF can be smart like the Rays, but there’s a ceiling to how well the Rays can do and how often they can do it.

Maybe after a rush of several years people will get tired of buying players. I don’t think so, but maybe.

*I don’t count one-game WC playoffs here - the Pirates are 1-2 in such games. Winless in any postseason series of more than one game.

i don’t think there are enough boosters willing to pay millions year after year after year. Even for the best teams. Donor fatigue will set in and there will be some big ticket disappointments. I don’t think things will be this crazy forever.

Baseball free agency started in 1972. I’m a Pirate fan. In the 50 years since free agency started, the Pirates have won two playoff series - both in 1979. And in those early days of FA, the Pirates actually competed for players - they traded for a two-time batting champ during that season who put them over the top.

Since then, as the economic reality of the sport has come into focus, somewhere along the way they really just stopped trying to be competitive. As a bottom feeder with no salary cap, they have won zero playoff series in 43 years. Players start with the Pirates and then go elsewhere to make real money and play in the postseason. And yeah, you bet that has diminished my baseball fandom.

I’m not saying WF will be a bottom feeder, but it’s hard to envision them outspending most other teams. And yeah, WF can be smart like the Rays, but there’s a ceiling to how well the Rays can do and how often they can do it.

Maybe after a rush of several years people will get tired of buying players. I don’t think so, but maybe.

*I don’t count one-game WC playoffs here - the Pirates are 1-2 in such games. Winless in any postseason series of more than one game.

That’s not because the Pirates don’t make any money and can’t afford players. It’s because the ownership is cheap and would rather pocket the money than put it back into the team. Never fall for pro sports owners crying poor - it’s always bullshit.

Forget fair and honest. As long as money is involved, fair and honest is an illusion.
Professional sports are fair and honest because you know what you're getting. In college sports, most of you guys don't even know half of what is going on because it's hid behind things like NIL and the NCAA Just hopes fans are too simple to realize. Fair and honest would be FBS schools have $10M per year to compensate football players with, $2M per year for basketball. Salaried players may not transfer unless cut or a coach leaves. This dirty game of bribery and tampering combined with ESPN and Fox intentionally killing entire historic leagues for money makes it dishonest and frankly for my sanity I need to stop caring because clearly I won't be able to make any kind of difference. When the ACC is ripped to shreds at the end of this current TV deal don't say I didn't explain here exactly what is going to happen. Honestly makes me so damn mad.

Lol so now anyone who disagrees with your chicken little bullshit is just too simple to see what’s happening.

Lol so now anyone who disagrees with your chicken little bullshit is just too simple to see what’s happening.
Not too simple as in too stupid, too simple as in fans who just like to turn on the tv and watch sports. Fans that turned on the tv one day and Maryland was in the B10, but didn't care or ask why. Fans that will show up at Truist in August and realize 5-6 starters have left and not be engaged enough to find out why and where they went. Fans that have a more laid back (maybe that's better than the word simple) attitude towards college sports might not know or care about these changes and thus won't understand the effects they are having and will have.

But at the same time, yes if you don't understand what is going on in terms of Fox and Disney creating their two 20 team super leagues, you are simple. That's pretty easy to understand if you can read commissioner quotes and can understand the priorities of our scummy university system.

Professional sports are fair and honest because you know what you're getting. In college sports, most of you guys don't even know half of what is going on because it's hid behind things like NIL and the NCAA Just hopes fans are too simple to realize. Fair and honest would be FBS schools have $10M per year to compensate football players with, $2M per year for basketball. Salaried players may not transfer unless cut or a coach leaves. This dirty game of bribery and tampering combined with ESPN and Fox intentionally killing entire historic leagues for money makes it dishonest and frankly for my sanity I need to stop caring because clearly I won't be able to make any kind of difference. When the ACC is ripped to shreds at the end of this current TV deal don't say I didn't explain here exactly what is going to happen. Honestly makes me so damn mad.
You have a lot to learn about life and the real world. Enjoy your youth as much as possible.

I cannot imagine in a couple of years that boosters at a 6-6 SEC team or BiG10 team are going to continue to be enthusiastic about ponying up millions to keep their best players or get new better players with the hope of improving. There will be donor fatigue, especially if results don’t improve after dropping big cash.

Not too simple as in too stupid, too simple as in fans who just like to turn on the tv and watch sports. Fans that turned on the tv one day and Maryland was in the B10, but didn't care or ask why. Fans that will show up at Truist in August and realize 5-6 starters have left and not be engaged enough to find out why and where they went. Fans that have a more laid back (maybe that's better than the word simple) attitude towards college sports might not know or care about these changes and thus won't understand the effects they are having and will have.

But at the same time, yes if you don't understand what is going on in terms of Fox and Disney creating their two 20 team super leagues, you are simple. That's pretty easy to understand if you can read commissioner quotes and can understand the priorities of our scummy university system.
The “simple” thing here is not understanding that there are not 8 more schools that the Big 10 and SEC can add to increase the pot enough that each school will make more money than what they are currently making.

I cannot imagine in a couple of years that boosters at a 6-6 SEC team or BiG10 team are going to continue to be enthusiastic about ponying up millions to keep their best players or get new better players with the hope of improving. There will be donor fatigue, especially if results don’t improve after dropping big cash.
Would make a great and guessing eye opening special with interviews of the big A&M donors and what they think about nil and their future giving habits.

Then they’ll just drop more cash to fire the coach and hire a new one. Wealthy people aren’t getting any poorer.

I’ll put it like this. Citizens United opened the floodgates for spending on politics. Congress didn’t restrict it and we’ve seen a huge political spending infrastructure emerge. Political spending has skyrocketed. And people hate politics.

The court cleared the way for the same thing to happen in sports. The NCAA hasn’t restricted it. Spending will skyrocket. NIL collectives are sports PACs.

People love college sports. If you can convince people the more they spend, the more they win, they’ll empty their pockets. We probably aren’t that far away from getting texts that say, “It's Coach. We need to stop State U's unrelenting attacks on our running game. Chip in $20 to help fight back: txt.mascot.org/hmd

STOP2quit”

Last edited:
This is interesting. I think we can hit that number pretty easily.

Unionization would have been better than NIL for almost every player. This iteration of NIL is helpful for schools and NCAA.

Many donors will be taking a serious L here and I can't imagine they will be OK with that for long. ROIs are going to be questionable and unless you have real deep pockets, that has to sting eventually. That is why I suggested the foreign investments could be a thing on the Hartman thread.

Biggest winners are the top 2% of player talent, for now.

Think we will probably spend most of the dollars keeping our good players vs. poaching others. But we'll see.

Political parties take serious Ls all the time and people keep giving. Just tell them how much their rivals are raising. That's why you hear so much about George Soros and the Koch Brothers.

Not relegated. We have no problem competing and if college sports stayed the way they were supposed to (regional leagues based on size/type/location of school) we would have no problem making big bowl games even in the world of pay for play as we have our own mega boosters too. It's not like we lose so we will be relegated to a lower level. That's not what I'm saying.

What has been happening and will continue to happen is two leagues are taking turns grabbing all the programs that are financially beneficial to have and poaching them for their leagues. Wake Forest, for a variety of reasons mostly down to being the smallest P5 school, is not a financially beneficial program for the B10 or SEC to poach. FSU, Miami, most likely Clemson, and maybe UNC are beneficial for the SEC or B10. And if you don't want to hear it from me hear it directly from the lips of the powers that be, because they've said this much.
Then let it fng happen and boycott yourself all you want. IF the ACC breaks up in 14 yrs, come back and say I told you so.

Back