• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roll The Quad - Wake Forest NIL with noteworthy support

And at the end of this even less players will come out with a degree. I hope this NIL money will last for them.
No one is even talking about impact on HS kids where even more will just focus on football and not do class work and likely more fail out. in past you could at least strongly show slimmm chance of nfl, nba, etc was so remote so had to get education first, but now….

Whatever you may think about the current situation, I don't think it is sustainable. Before, big donors would save their huge donations for capital campaigns, facilities, naming rights, etc. - things that would come up every once in a while. On a yearly basis they may give more reasonable amounts to the program for tickets, luxury boxes, scholarship support, etc. Now they are being asked for millions to support NIL collectives to support competitive teams. But the NIL needs are going to be constant. All except the very, very richest of them are going to tire of this fairly quickly - something has got to give....

Whatever you may think about the current situation, I don't think it is sustainable. Before, big donors would save their huge donations for capital campaigns, facilities, naming rights, etc. - things that would come up every once in a while. On a yearly basis they may give more reasonable amounts to the program for tickets, luxury boxes, scholarship support, etc. Now they are being asked for millions to support NIL collectives to support competitive teams. But the NIL needs are going to be constant. All except the very, very richest of them are going to tire of this fairly quickly - something has got to give....

Where does a program like Deacon Club fit into all of this? I'm not sure it even will serve a purpose in the near future. Doesn't RTQ replace it?

You'd think. Now along with the capital campaigns and big expenditures, there's NIL and coach buyouts and hires as well.

Stanford is playing the long game like a poker player with the biggest chip stack. They are staying on the sidelines while donors at other schools deplete their funds. In a couple of years, Stanford will step in and bury everyone.

Just kidding…. Kind of.

Some schools will not have the donors with the wherewithal to hang in the game every year. For other schools, this will always be chump change. Stanford is one of those schools. FWIW, the Ivies are too. They own Wall Street. Would be hilarious if Princeton, Harvard and Yale wanted to flex their financial muscle

I don't think the NCAA can impose a cap. The players do not have a union and there is no way currently for there to be an organization to negotiate a contract that would apply universally. If the NCAA tried to impose a cap it wouldn't stand up in court if challenged by a player (or school). I don't believe the current situation is what the court had in mind when it okayed a player's right to get paid for the use of his or her name, image, or likeness.
Agree that a cap wouldn’t survive court review. The NCAA could, however, reinstate the old sit-out-a-year transfer rule (or adopt something similar), which would tamp down both the number of transfers and boosters’ willingness to pay for them.

Agree that a cap wouldn’t survive court review. The NCAA could, however, reinstate the old sit-out-a-year transfer rule (or adopt something similar), which would tamp down both the number of transfers and boosters’ willingness to pay for them.
Until the $$ making schools go out on their own and make a rival organization. The NCAA seems to be losing more power each day.

Last year only 28 percent of the kids who went into the portal found a landing place.

Is this true? 72% of players who entered the portal didn’t transfer to another school?

Is this true? 72% of players who entered the portal didn’t transfer to another school?
Apparently it was around 50% for the first couple of years of the portal, but dropped to 28% last year with the flood of kids trying to transfer. With the high numbers already this year I'd expect another low percentage.

Statistics are all over the place on that. Who gets counted and when, Both going in and going out. Do you count FBS guys who go th FCS? D2? D3? Guys who sign late? Guys who end up as PWO somewhere? Do the people who do the stats properly account for guys who sign pro contracts?

However, whatever the numbers, 100% of guys who held football scholarships and entered the portal and wanted to continue in college do not end up with another scholarship. That is bad for them. And for the country.

That would require the NCAA to get off its ass and actually show some leadership related to this issue.

Is it possible for NIL payers to pay for performance? E.g., we’ll pay a little upfront, but a whole lot more for each touchdown. This would protect their investment a little better but create terrible team disunity.

Statistics are all over the place on that. Who gets counted and when, Both going in and going out. Do you count FBS guys who go th FCS? D2? D3? Guys who sign late? Guys who end up as PWO somewhere? Do the people who do the stats properly account for guys who sign pro contracts?

However, whatever the numbers, 100% of guys who held football scholarships and entered the portal and wanted to continue in college do not end up with another scholarship. That is bad for them. And for the country.
Not following this.

Is it possible for NIL payers to pay for performance? E.g., we’ll pay a little upfront, but a whole lot more for each touchdown. This would protect their investment a little better but create terrible team disunity.
I was wondering the same thing, if they could write performance clauses into the NIL contracts.

I think it is inevitable that 40-50 schools will break off and operate pretty much at a professional level, and an NIL cycle or two could accelerate that process. I don't think Wake will be in that group, whether by choice or being left as an "outsider looking in". If so, here's my suggestion for a path forward for "the rest of them"(which again likely would include Wake):
-NIL would almost exclusively be at the 40-50 "professional" school level, i.e. no collectives at the lower levels. Players at the lower levels could still market themselves, but w/o the collectives backed by big boosters, they would truly be aligning themselves with opportunities that are commensurate with their value to a business or enterprise. And that value would most likely come after they have been on the field and in the community for at least a few games, i.e. not as a high school kid that no one outside of the recruiting "fanboys" has ever heard of but is getting 6-figures to sign and then maybe go to a birthday party or two.
-Drawing on college baseball (and the "old" football rule of sitting out a year before transferring), signing with a non-top 50 school comes with a two-year commitment before being allowed to transfer to a top-50; you could still transfer within the non-50 schools.
-So Wake (again assuming they don't make the top-50 cut) can go back to selling themselves as a "developmental" program, and guys can come here and either develop into an NFL'er like today, or more likely develop into a guy who after 2 years is the darling of the NIL portal (if he blows up as a freshman and decides to sit out his 2nd season to "prepare" for the bigboy NIL offer, fine). And just like now we don't begrudge a player not using all his eligibility and going into the draft, we likewise would celebrate a guy who uses his 2-year Wake experience to play college fb at the collegiate "professional" level.
-And let the big boys have the major t.v. contracts that have 4 hr. games with endless commercials kicking off at high noon in late August and 8 p.m. in November; 3 hr. games that would typically kick off in the 1-2p slot with seasonal adjustments for hot/cold temps.
-We sometimes overlook that even though we think college fb can only be played at the P5 level, there are over 600 college football programs in the country, and the field is the same dimensions and the tailgate beer is just as cold regardless of level of play.

I do not think that is inevitable.
Why not? We've been steadily moving in that direction since 1990. Seeing these college football hacks put out statistics every week about which games are the most watched and which brands are the biggest and forcing that into all of our brains over and over shows exactly what the goal is. This round with Texas, Oklahoma, USC, and UCLA imo was the second to last round of realignment. The final round will be after the ACC's deal expires and the super leagues poach FSU, Miami, Clemson, and UNC. At that point they'll break off like they've wanted to all along. If you sit here watching conference after conference be destroyed for money and think it's not the ACC next, you're unfortunately naive. Literally only money matters in American society, not protecting cultural institutions such as college sports.

Back