• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ron Wellman

I dont think it was a lack of curfew enforcement in hotel rooms that got Dino fired. But as was said on the previous page, it doesn't help that two players were accused of sexual assault (regardless of the outcome), especially if this was one of a number of things that came accross Welman's desk. When something or a multitude of things are going wrong, bosses generally dont give a shit if the person responsible is somehow able to cover their ass, in the technical sense. And if they already had personality differences to begin with, the writing was probably on the wall for a long time.

Dino was given a new contract seven months after the hotel room deal.

Regardless of whether it was a smart move or not, can we all agree that the contract extension was in no way, shape or form a reflection of Wellman's satisfaction with Dino? It was done completely for the benefit of outside perception.

Regardless of whether it was a smart move or not, can we all agree that the contract extension was in no way, shape or form a reflection of Wellman's satisfaction with Dino? It was done completely for the benefit of outside perception.

Which would be ironic because now the outside perception of our program is that it is a total shit show and that Dino was fired for no good reason all while Buzz's hire was perplexing at best.

Nice work with the flagship program, Ronald.

that makes too much sense. so, no.

If he's going to play stupid games and gush about a coach he dislikes, then where does that end? Does he really not like Bz?

If he's going to play stupid games and gush about a coach he dislikes, then where does that end? Does he really not like Bz?

We had been blown out in the ACC tournament by Maryland and by Cleveland State in the NCAAs. He didn't want to fire Dino yet, but he didn't want Dino to appear to be on tenuous ground. Dino may have even told him he needed a vote of confidence as such to be able to recruit.

Also, who knows how he really feels about Bz? There is nothing an AD can publicly say about a coach other than glowing positives... until he fires them.

All these conspiracy theories (and I personally do think "culture" was an issue), but is it possible Wellman just actually watched the games and saw a team that wasn't well coached? We had four NBA players and lost to Cleveland State.

All these conspiracy theories (and I personally do think "culture" was an issue), but is it possible Wellman just actually watched the games and saw a team that wasn't well coached? We had four NBA players and lost to Cleveland State.

Dino recruited those 4 NBA players. You don't fire a coach for losing one game. Nothing good has come from that firing: Not fan support, not wins, not recruits. I have to believe that Dino had some shady shit going on that the public doesn't know.

Dino recruited those 4 NBA players. You don't fire a coach for losing one game. Nothing good has come from that firing: Not fan support, not wins, not recruits. I have to believe that Dino had some shady shit going on that the public doesn't know.

Ish, Teague, JJ, and Farouq all committed when Skip was HC.

The Texas Tech game means little because Coach G was has having a battle of wills with his top players.

This is the type of cutting edge analysis people should be paying for.

How does one subscribe to your recruiting newsletter?

Ish, Teague, JJ, and Farouq all committed when Skip was HC.

Dino recruited all those kids as an assistant. He deserves alot of credit for any potential we had at that point, just as he deserves the blame for flaming out.

I agree with your conclusion, but it wasn't one game of poor coaching under Dino. There was no offense, ever. We never got easy baskets. I am sure that factored in, in combination with whatever it is we don't know.

Yes, Cleveland State shouldn't have made this decision individually (and it didn't). Don't get me wrong, it's a game we should have won, but March Madness is about upsets, and Cleveland State was on a serious roll going into that game.

It's when you combine our ineptitude in the ACC tournament under Dino with the Cleveland State game and what was, let's be honest, a really poor performance against Texas, that Dino's inability to get teams ready in the post season becomes apparent.

Yes, Cleveland State shouldn't have made this decision individually (and it didn't). Don't get me wrong, it's a game we should have won, but March Madness is about upsets, and Cleveland State was on a serious roll going into that game.

It's when you combine our ineptitude in the ACC tournament under Dino with the Cleveland State game and what was, let's be honest, a really poor performance against Texas, that Dino's inability to get teams ready in the post season becomes apparent.

If you have a plan to correct those issues, you make a move. I don't think that Dino was bad enough to get fired without Wellman having a better alternative.

Dino was a putrid head coach. That being said, there is a very plausible argument to be made that Bzzz is substantially worse than Dino.

Wellman gets a pass on hiring Dino after Skip's death (although I thought it was a shortsighted move at the time, as did many others), and Wellman actually scores some points in my mind for firing Dino despite the win over Texas - ballsy, but correct move. Unfortunately, he lost considerably more points with his hiring and "overwhelming public support" of Bz last year as we got demolished time and time again. If things don't improve by the end of the year, he needs to step up again and make the correct, yet ballsy move. I don't think he has it in him, and I think we will get 4 years of Bz, will not make the NCAA tournament during that stretch, and can only hope that our next coach will be "The One." Only 50-50 chance that Wellman will be the one to hire him.

And the Wellman gave him an extension so he could go recruit some more players.

Does that make sense if the culture brought in by the coach is an issue?

ABC, it would be ballsy, but I don't trust Wellman to run another coaching search. On the other hand, I doubt he could do this bad again. We're doomed for a run of futility regardless.

Al Golden just suffered an embarrassing lost to BC the last game of the regular season and his contract runs through 2016. Why did he just get a contract extension to 2020? Was it really necessary at that time?

You guys act like you've never heard of contract extensions being just for show. It happens all the time.

Oh no doubt. But usually they aren't followed by firing the guy 6 months later with the AD saying it was for long term problems.

Back