• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ron Wellman

No doubt. Dino didn't need to go as much as Bzz needs to go. Hell, many Bzzouters I know are Bzzout in hindsight as well. I, and others, assumed that Wellman was pulling a magic rabbit out of the hat as he had with Grobe...a hidden gem that Wellman only knew about because of his past relationship. A few games and a few post-game press conferences into the season, many of us quickly realized that Bzz was no Jim Grobe.

I was Bzzzout the day I heard we were going to hire him.

I was BuzzWTF??? when he was hired. After hearing Buzz talk in the post game a few times I was BuzzOUT! so hard.

The initial problem is that we were all set for Stevens and then he signed the extension leaving us to wonder who was next on the list. I'll be honest when I say that I thought Bz was a smokescreen for who we were really going to get.

I do disagree with those who judged him based upon post game. He's much better one on one or in a small group than in front of a mic. He has no public charisma which is difficult for us to deal with after we had one of the best in the game recently. I figure he's got 2-3 years left on his contract regardless of on court production and after that, he'll have either done a good job and be extended or have set the foundation for the next coach (most likely option). Hopefully by then Stevens or someone like him will jump at the chance.

IMO, Stevens was always a pipe dream.

He will go to a big time program if and when he wants to leave Butler.

His post game futility just added on exponentially to the on court awfulness that his teams produced.

I definitely had a wtf moment when he was hired. But I theoretically like the idea of bringing in an experienced coach with NBA ties. A young coach is just so much more of a crapshoot (and no, wipe Brad Stevens out of your mind, he was never coming here and anyway represents the exeception more than the rule). Sure there could be more excitement at first with a young coach, but if he struggles in his first year (which he would have), it just makes the situation that much tougher with even more question marks.

I knew last year was going to be a struggle, especially when we lost Woods, but I was still stunned by just how bad we were. After enduring last season, I realize we are probably not going to legitimatley compete until we have a post presence again. I'm still waiting to see more from Bzz and what he can do with more talent and a few guys who can rebound. But I'm far, far from happy.

Also, I really dont pay any attention to postgame comments, win or lose. Thats just me though.

The initial problem is that we were all set for Stevens and then he signed the extension leaving us to wonder who was next on the list. I'll be honest when I say that I thought Bz was a smokescreen for who we were really going to get.

I do disagree with those who judged him based upon post game. He's much better one on one or in a small group than in front of a mic. He has no public charisma which is difficult for us to deal with after we had one of the best in the game recently. I figure he's got 2-3 years left on his contract regardless of on court production and after that, he'll have either done a good job and be extended or have set the foundation for the next coach (most likely option). Hopefully by then Stevens or someone like him will jump at the chance.

I feel bad, I really want to like the guy, he's our freaking coach, but between the on-court results, press conferences, coach's shows where he gets so damn defensive about things, it's been really hard to like the guy. Heck, Staak was awful, but at least he had some charisma, especially with the co-eds.

Won't argue that dv7 but it's also not a great indicator worth judging him over. I think that we can all agree that Skip would have been able to talk himself out of a good amount of rage over such a craptastic season. Bz (like Odom but a bit worse) comes off as dry, awkward and out of touch causing the fire to swell.

The problem is the names that were bandied about after Stevens signed his massive extension... Donovan, Izzo, and Tubby were all talked about on DS from supposed insiders. Just adding to the collective board rage when we hired Bz.

I feel bad, I really want to like the guy, he's our freaking coach, but between the on-court results, press conferences, coach's shows where he gets so damn defensive about things, it's been really hard to like the guy. Heck, Staak was awful, but at least he had some charisma, especially with the co-eds.

This is kinda me as well. I feel bad for him and he's really not that bad to talk to in person. I don't think too much about the defensiveness manly because that's human tendency when everyone is stacked against you... as evidenced by numerous board flame wars.

I enjoyed the Staak joke but that does get me thinking if, coupled with rumors about Dino, that was not some of the point of the hire. :tinfoilhat:

The problem is the names that were bandied about after Stevens signed his massive extension... Donovan, Izzo, and Tubby were all talked about on DS from supposed insiders. Just adding to the collective board rage when we hired Bz.

those 3 so-called "insiders" now wander the wildnerness that is DS Scout, watching the tumbleweeds skip on by, filling their adult diapers with the byproducts of Ensure and prunes, and cursing dv7 for destroying everything they once knew and loved.
2905459654_9be376741a.jpg

I heard a ton of people saying that those three and Jay Wright were called after Stevens said no. Maybe they were as a courtesy but there's no way we could have afforded Tubby and the rest are very happy/comfy where they are

I mean people were like we have a real shot with these guys. Insanity. I could understand Tubby, but Izzo???? A Michigan guy at Michigan State who has built up an elite program??? And Donovan??? I mean what were people thinking?

I get calling Donovan and Tubby (though we certainly couldn't afford Donovan and probably not Tubby either), but surely Wellman didn't waste his time on Izzo? He'd have better luck getting Roy Williams.

ETA: There have been rumors about Donovan not being happy with Florida's AD for a long time, but no way would he leave his $4m/year contract for whatever LOWF could pay.

those 3 so-called "insiders" now wander the wildnerness that is DS Scout, watching the tumbleweeds skip on by, filling their adult diapers with the byproducts of Ensure and prunes, and cursing dv7 for destroying everything they once knew and loved.
2905459654_9be376741a.jpg

That is brutal! Funny as hell but brutal.

This is kinda me as well. I feel bad for him and he's really not that bad to talk to in person. I don't think too much about the defensiveness manly because that's human tendency when everyone is stacked against you... as evidenced by numerous board flame wars.

I enjoyed the Staak joke but that does get me thinking if, coupled with rumors about Dino, that was not some of the point of the hire. :tinfoilhat:

It's human tendency, but he had to know it was coming and warrenteed with our results last year. It also kind of pissed me off when he would consistently go to the " when I was at Air Force we beat Wake Forest by 30 points" or whatever and say it in a very smug way. Way to know how to play to your audience there coach. I don't know, hopefully we get through this season and next season he gets more talent in and starts proving himself. I have no reason to hope he fails, I want us to be good again and if he's the guy that can do it, that's fine by me. Hard to imagine a guy getting off to a worse start on and off the court in his first season and beginning of his 2nd????

To me, Izzo was the most unlikely. I'd heard about the friction at Florida as well but he seems content to be second fiddle down there (who can blame him). Tubby almost has a gun for hire feel to him and Wright has had some heat from the Nova fanbase the last several years (but not enough to warrant jumping ship).

Back