• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ron Wellman's Legacy

Can't downplay his role in creating OG boards tho... Maybe his defining accomplishment

Have to disagree with some of these statements. Wake facilities should be as good as any. Maybe not as big but first class quality wise. Take the baseball stadium tour to see what a great result that upgrade is. The two new buildings on campus should allow us to complete with anyone in terms of facilities.
Basketball may historically be our flagship program but football seems to run the show now in terms of revenues, conference appeal and ultimately, TV appeal. I’ve heard that Clawson had a list of improvements he wanted and we have and are in the process of fulfilling them. I am in big favor of keeping Clawson satisfied and here at Wake for a long time. Quite frankly he has been making statements like he is here for a longer haul. If he stays he could very well have the second statue on campus.
The coliseum has gotten the scoreboard upgrade with the lighting system, etc. Other improvements are scheduled but require funding. Clawson takes precedence over Manning right now I imagine.

WOAH! I like Clawson as much as the next guy but lets pump the brakes! We won the belk bowl, not the playoff, or the orange bowl, or even the ACC. Maybe we should build Dino a statue for that round of 64 win over Tejas as well?

It's just sad that everything that Wellman has done well, soccer, tennis, Grobe, Clawson and facilities will AT BEST offset the disaster that was Bz and then Manning. It may be his personality that rubs so many (me included) the wrong way, but honestly if Skip were still alive and we were just merely laying an egg in the post season, Wellman would probably be considered one of the best AD's in all the Power 5.

It's just sad that everything that Wellman has done well, soccer, tennis, Grobe, Clawson and facilities will AT BEST offset the disaster that was Bz and then Manning. It may be his personality that rubs so many (me included) the wrong way, but honestly if Skip were still alive and we were just merely laying an egg in the post season, Wellman would probably be considered one of the best AD's in all the Power 5.

A big part of RW's problem is his poor communication skills. You only need to read his interviews and his intro letters in every edition of the Gold Rush to realize this is not his strength. (Of course, for what he's paid, he ought to be superlative in this area, among many others.)

I figured after the [Redacted] disaster that somebody on campus would wise up and spring for some PR/communications coaching for the guy, but apparently not.

It won't be Ron's name on the buildings and facilities. These last 10 and counting years of basketball will be his legacy. I'll tell tales of the way Ron Wellman tanked Wake Forest basketball to my great-grandchildren.

If Wellman gets his name on a building, facility, field, or street - I'm just gonna go ahead and burn my diploma on the Quad.

If Wellman gets his name on a building, facility, field, or street - I'm just gonna go ahead and burn my diploma on the Quad.

Get the lighter fluid ready. I am sure it will happen. Hatch too.

How 'bout we name the Porta-Johns on the practice field for Wellman?

Back