• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ron Wellman's Performance Metrics (Part 1) UPDATE New Low Achieved!

Excellent research.

It is simply statistically impossible to support the current athletics administration if winning is one of the criteria. I really want to see how insiders spin this.

thedeacfan, good work on putting together all that info. My thinking is that fball and bball are the most important markers of an athletic department, but just below the performance of those two sports is the directors cup ranking. My impression is that I put more emphasis on the directors cup than most posters, so I appreciate the info.

Wake absolutely needs to strive for better than our previous average directors cup rankings (25-45 range) and obviously a lot better than our recent performances (75-100 range). However, I will add that historical context is important when making judgments, and unfortunately we don't have that for other athletic directors at Wake since the directors cup only goes back 20 years. On a thread yesterday I messed up a stat regarding individual NCAA champs at Wake, so I did a little more investigation. I probably missed some again, but here is what I have found for NCAA championships at Wake Forest (year, athlete/team, sport, AD at the time).

1949 Arnold Palmer Golf Weaver (’37-’54)
1950 Arnold Palmer Golf Weaver
1955 Team Baseball Gibson (’54-’64)
1974 Team Golf Hooks (’64-‘92)
1974 Curtis Strange Golf Hooks
1975 Team Golf Hooks
1975 Jay Haas Golf Hooks
1979 Gary Hallberg Golf Hooks
1986 Team Golf Hooks
1996 Andy Bloom Shot Put Wellman (’92- )
1996 Andy Bloom Discus Wellman
2002 Bea Bielik Tennis Wellman
2002 Team Field Hockey Wellman
2003 Team Field Hockey Wellman
2004 Team Field Hockey Wellman
2007 Team Soccer Wellman
2007 Michelle Sikes 5000m Indoor Wellman
2007 Michelle Sikes 5000m Outdoor Wellman
2008 Cory Parr and Steve Forman Tennis, doubles Wellman
2009 Michael Bingham 400m Indoor Wellman

Wellman has been the AD for 11 championships (in 21 years) in a variety of sports, and Hooks was the AD for 6 championships (in 28 years), all in golf. This obviously isn't a perfect way of comparing Wellman to previous Wake ADs, but it does provide some historical context.

Wellman has been the AD for 11 championships (in 21 years) in a variety of sports, and Hooks was the AD for 6 championships (in 28 years), all in golf. This obviously isn't a perfect way of comparing Wellman to previous Wake ADs, but it does provide some historical context.

Wellman should be compared to our peers and how we've performed against them each year, not to past AD's. You don't judge this year's football team against the 1980 Deacs. You compare them to the teams in our conference and the teams on our schedule.

Wellman should be compared to our peers and how we've performed against them each year, not to past AD's. You don't judge this year's football team against the 1980 Deacs. You compare them to the teams in our conference and the teams on our schedule.

You are allowed more than one comparison. I think the historical comparison is of interest, which is why I posted it. Of course comparison to other athletic departments is important, which is why I like the directors cup as a measure of an athletic department. Unfortunately, the directors cup only goes back 20 years.

Sorry, I don't really care about individual championships. Remove those and we're talking 2 versus 4, with 3 of Wellman's 4 being won by a Hooks hire.

Wait, people are giving Wellman credit for individual championships?

That's so lame. No Ath Dir should get the credit for an individual award. That's just silly.

Wait, people are giving Wellman credit for individual championships?

That's so lame. No Ath Dir should get the credit for an individual award. That's just silly.

Why not? It's the same coaches for teams vs individuals. Why would Wellman have more influence over a team than an individual?

You are allowed more than one comparison.

Sure, you can compare whatever you'd like, but it's meaningless. It doesn't account for what is important. Wellman isn't paid huge amounts of dollars to be a better AD than the previous AD...he's paid top money to be a top AD in the nation. You're searching for a comparison that makes him look positive. It's the same as Wellman ignoring Wake's standing against our peers in the conference and country and instead pointing to a couple more wins per season as a sign of improvement, all while designing a schedule that virtually guarantees a better record. It's fabricated. It ignores what is important. It ignores that we're losing ground in our own conference. Hell, in the case of Wellman, it even ignores historical comparisons to Odom, Skip, and Dino teams.

I'm sure Michelle Sikes owes all her success to Ron Wellman.

Sure, you can compare whatever you'd like, but it's meaningless. It doesn't account for what is important.

I disagree. I think NCAA championships are an important measure of the success of an athletic department.

The Wake AD has unprecedented revenue right now (although it is dwindling due to apathetic fanbase). it is a completely different ballgame from 50 years ago.

Excellent research.

It is simply statistically impossible to support the current athletics administration if winning is one of the criteria. I really want to see how insiders spin this.

Winning?

3 things explain and/or coincide with the slide in the Director's Cup Rankings:

Nathan Hatch
[Redacted] hire
Riley Skinner's graduation

I'm sure Michelle Sikes owes all her success to Ron Wellman.

Although your intended sarcasm is clear, Wellman actually contributed more than you might think to this particular individual success. In addition, Wellman was also one of Sikes' writers for the Rhodes, which has, in my opinion, brought far more prestige to the university than her NCAA championship.

Although your intended sarcasm is clear, Wellman actually contributed more than you might think to this particular individual success. In addition, Wellman was also one of Sikes' writers for the Rhodes, which has, in my opinion, brought far more prestige to the university than her NCAA championship.

Thanks for the info.

Who's Michelle Sikes? Is she going to take our basketball team to the final four?

Andy Bloom came in during 1991 when Hooks was still A.D.

thedeacfan, good work on putting together all that info. My thinking is that fball and bball are the most important markers of an athletic department, but just below the performance of those two sports is the directors cup ranking. My impression is that I put more emphasis on the directors cup than most posters, so I appreciate the info.

Wake absolutely needs to strive for better than our previous average directors cup rankings (25-45 range) and obviously a lot better than our recent performances (75-100 range). However, I will add that historical context is important when making judgments, and unfortunately we don't have that for other athletic directors at Wake since the directors cup only goes back 20 years. On a thread yesterday I messed up a stat regarding individual NCAA champs at Wake, so I did a little more investigation. I probably missed some again, but here is what I have found for NCAA championships at Wake Forest (year, athlete/team, sport, AD at the time).

1949 Arnold Palmer Golf Weaver (’37-’54)
1950 Arnold Palmer Golf Weaver
1955 Team Baseball Gibson (’54-’64)
1974 Team Golf Hooks (’64-‘92)
1974 Curtis Strange Golf Hooks
1975 Team Golf Hooks
1975 Jay Haas Golf Hooks
1979 Gary Hallberg Golf Hooks
1986 Team Golf Hooks
1996 Andy Bloom Shot Put Wellman (’92- )
1996 Andy Bloom Discus Wellman
2002 Bea Bielik Tennis Wellman
2002 Team Field Hockey Wellman
2003 Team Field Hockey Wellman
2004 Team Field Hockey Wellman
2007 Team Soccer Wellman
2007 Michelle Sikes 5000m Indoor Wellman
2007 Michelle Sikes 5000m Outdoor Wellman
2008 Cory Parr and Steve Forman Tennis, doubles Wellman
2009 Michael Bingham 400m Indoor Wellman

Who's Michelle Sikes? Is she going to take our basketball team to the final four?

Wake athlete. NCAA 5000m champ. Rhodes Scholar.

We are discussing the entire athletic department in this thread, not just basketball. Please try to keep up.

Back