• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Ron Wellman's Performance Metrics (Part 1) UPDATE New Low Achieved!

thedeacfan, good work on putting together all that info. My thinking is that fball and bball are the most important markers of an athletic department, but just below the performance of those two sports is the directors cup ranking. My impression is that I put more emphasis on the directors cup than most posters, so I appreciate the info.

Wake athlete. NCAA 5000m champ. Rhodes Scholar.

We are discussing the entire athletic department in this thread, not just basketball. Please try to keep up.

Really?

Last edited:

Yes, really. I don't think it could be any more clear that this thread is about the entire athletic department. Did you miss where I listed all the NCAA champions in a variety of sports? Did you stop reading when you came to the comma in the sentence you highlighted above? C'mon.

Yes, really. I don't think it could be any more clear that this thread is about the entire athletic department. Did you miss where I listed all the NCAA champions in a variety of sports? Did you stop reading when you came to the comma in the sentence you highlighted above? C'mon.

Dude, you are all over the place on this thread. So either football and basketball are the most important markers or they are not. You basically said a lot but really said nothing. Also, the bit about Sikes is irrelevant to all of it as it has nothing to do with basketball, football, director's cup, or team championships. That was my point which flew right past you.

You basically said a lot but really said nothing.

I disagree. I posted all the NCAA championships at Wake and the ADs at the time of those championships. You posted this: "Who's Michelle Sikes? Is she going to take our basketball team to the final four?" Are you being obtuse on purpose or do you think Michelle Sikes is a person that might take our basketball team to the final four?

Remember back in the mid 2000's when Pack Pride would post the Sear's Cup Standings and talk about how Wellman does so much more with less at Wake. Seems like a long time ago.

I disagree. I posted all the NCAA championships at Wake and the ADs at the time of those championships. You posted this: "Who's Michelle Sikes? Is she going to take our basketball team to the final four?" Are you being obtuse on purpose or do you think Michelle Sikes is a person that might take our basketball team to the final four?

honest question. are you dumb?

it's obvious to everybody but you what he was saying

it's obvious to everybody but you what he was saying

It was obvious to me as well, I just wanted Turd to admit he was being obtuse on purpose. I'm sorry you struggled to follow that.

I wasn't being obtuse. Snarky maybe, but not obtuse. I thought the discussion was about measuring Ron Wellman's performance as AD. I honestly didn't know who Michelle Sikes was, and the prestige of her Rhodes scholarship is just not relevant to this thread.

The AD's ten step plan of winning back OGBoards isn't going so smoothly. Caught up in the "hearts and minds" phase with Rafi/MysteryMen stalling out right now.

Remember back in the mid 2000's when Pack Pride would post the Sear's Cup Standings and talk about how Wellman does so much more with less at Wake. Seems like a long time ago.

I admit I was balls deep #WellmanIn through the 2000s. I don't think I could feel any differently than I did 5-6 years ago.

Historic comparisons don't really make sense for a number of reasons. To name a few: Did wake have as many sports teams in decades past? We didn't even have a field hockey program till the 70's. Were there as many schools fielding golf, field hockey, soccer, etc. teams in decades past? How much money was going into college sports in decades past? All of these issues and many more make historic comparisons not informative at best and potentially misleading.

I do think that the AD can contribute to individual championships via building great practice facilities, hiring good coaches, etc. but perhaps they should be considered in a second category.

Historic comparisons don't really make sense for a number of reasons. To name a few: Did wake have as many sports teams in decades past? We didn't even have a field hockey program till the 70's. Were there as many schools fielding golf, field hockey, soccer, etc. teams in decades past? How much money was going into college sports in decades past? All of these issues and many more make historic comparisons not informative at best and potentially misleading.

I do think that the AD can contribute to individual championships via building great practice facilities, hiring good coaches, etc. but perhaps they should be considered in a second category.

All good points. The distribution of scholarships, mainly because of Title IX, is another confounder when making historical comparisons.

Also, the bit about Sikes is irrelevant to all of it as it has nothing to do with basketball, football, director's cup, or team championships.

I honestly didn't know who Michelle Sikes was, and the prestige of her Rhodes scholarship is just not relevant to this thread.

This is silly -- of course individual championships contribute to the Director's Cup: Michelle Sikes, for instance, won the 5000 meters at nationals; her ten points gave the Deacs a 21st place finish at the NCAA Championships.

Thus, her individual national championship gave the Deacons 50.5 points toward the Director's Cup -- compared to:
Baseball's 25;
W. Golf's 64.5;
M. Golf's 51,
W. Tennis' 50;
M. Tennis' 64;
M. T&F's 15.5;
W. Volleyball's 0;
W. XC's 20;
M. XC's 0;
Field Hockey's 90;
Football's 57;
W. Soccer's 50;
M. Soccer's 83

-- in the year of our best finish EVER.

Thus, Michelle Sikes, by herself, nearly equaled or outscored 8 of our 14 sports in our best-ever year. She was worth nearly the same as our ACC Championship football team.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nacda/sports/directorscup/auto_pdf/finald1standings.pdf

This is silly -- of course individual championships contribute to the Director's Cup: Michelle Sikes, for instance, won the 5000 meters at nationals; her ten points gave the Deacs a 21st place finish at the NCAA Championships.

Thus, her individual national championship gave the Deacons 50.5 points toward the Director's Cup -- compared to:
Baseball's 25;
W. Golf's 64.5;
M. Golf's 51,
W. Tennis' 50;
M. Tennis' 64;
M. T&F's 15.5;
W. Volleyball's 0;
W. XC's 20;
M. XC's 0;
Field Hockey's 90;
Football's 57;
W. Soccer's 50;
M. Soccer's 83

-- in the year of our best finish EVER.

Thus, Michelle Sikes, by herself, nearly equaled or outscored 8 of our 14 sports in our best-ever year. She was worth nearly the same as our ACC Championship football team.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/nacda/sports/directorscup/auto_pdf/finald1standings.pdf

Very interesting info. Thanks for posting it.

Just watch the video. Especially at 2:05. The music when Bz gets passionate is like something from Conan the Barbarian.

Just ebbs and flows baby.

Back