• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Roy Williams doesn't expect UNC hoops to get 'hit in any way at all' by NCAA sanction

What I have been saying all along-- slap on the wrist at best. It has taken the NCAA this long to figure out how to let the holes walk

What I have been saying all along-- slap on the wrist at best. It has taken the NCAA this long to figure out how to let the holes walk

Just because Roy "Aw shucks" Williams hopes it, doesn't;t make it true.

How can he say that there have been no allegations against men's basketball with a straight face?

His UNC education precludes him from reading anything above a 6th grade level; consequently, the Wainstein report is over his head and beyond comprehension.

I don't believe a thing that comes out of Roy's mouth. He's never been prone to telling the truth

How can he say that there have been no allegations against men's basketball with a straight face?

There were no NCAA allegations brought against the basketball team. They were, however, in the classes listed.

During the spring of 2005, Mccants took 4 paper only AFAM courses , didn't write his own papers and had them graded by a secretary in the AFAM dept. Perhaps he should have been ineligible.

Did not know that about MCCants. Did McCants tell the public this? Because he also told the public he took classes but never attended any of them. Shortly after students posted pictures they took with him in said classes, and I have not heard of many investigators talking to him after it became pretty obvious he was saying anything to get his name in the news. I could see the Heels being punished by giving up that national title (’05), and maybe a scholarship or two reduction for a year or so, but I do not think they are going to punish the current players. Might even see then suspend Ole Roy for a few games, but it is not going to be nearly what they are hoping for on Pack Pride.

Noticeable PR campaign during the tourney to soften perception towards UNC program and/or pave the way for limited punishment. Wake should pay attention in case they ever decide to field D1 teams again

Agreed. Yet Roy and the players think the media is against them. Okay.

During the spring of 2005, Mccants took 4 paper only AFAM courses , didn't write his own papers and had them graded by a secretary in the AFAM dept. Perhaps he should have been ineligible.

Assuming this is true, why would it have anything to do with his eligibility in March/April 2005?

Did not know that about MCCants. Did McCants tell the public this? Because he also told the public he took classes but never attended any of them. Shortly after students posted pictures they took with him in said classes, and I have not heard of many investigators talking to him after it became pretty obvious he was saying anything to get his name in the news. I could see the Heels being punished by giving up that national title (’05), and maybe a scholarship or two reduction for a year or so, but I do not think they are going to punish the current players. Might even see then suspend Ole Roy for a few games, but it is not going to be nearly what they are hoping for on Pack Pride.

I never understood this line of thinking. Why would the current players, who chose to represent UNC when they have been under investigation for 5+ years, be a reason for UNC to avoid punishment? It's not like they are victims. They consciously decided to attend a "school" where some type of sanctions or punishment is a definite possibility. I think, if UNC or any school, is hit hard with sanctions, the current players should be allowed to transfer without having to sit out a year. But the school should still be punished.

Well, I think you do have to be a full time student and since all of his classes were not legitimate classes there is an argument to be made that he was not.

That's not how it works. If it worked that way, the NCAA would monitor the Spring Semester grades of all players who leave early and then retroactively void NCAA results. Precedent?

That's not how it works. If it worked that way, the NCAA would monitor the Spring Semester grades of all players who leave early and then retroactively void NCAA results. Precedent?

You have to be enrolled as a full-time student to participate in NCAA athletics. You don't have to pass the classes you're in that semester, but you have to be enrolled in real classes. McCant's was not enrolled in real classes and therefore was not a full-time student.

Assuming this is true, why would it have anything to do with his eligibility in March/April 2005?

He wouldn't have been eligible but for AFAM classes and he wasn't in school for all practical purposes during the spring of 2005.

The way that the NCAA couched the allegations as impermissible benefits should give everyone a clue as to how they will come down. Roy wants to pretend that he and his staff had to do something wrong in order for there to be a punishment levied against the basketball program. He is mistaken at best and flat out lying at worst.

Back