• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Running ACC Hoop Thread

I'd be shocked if we don't win on Wednesday.

State has beaten Tennessee and Notre Dame on the road already. They seem to be somewhat of a Jekyll and Hyde team.

FSU just trashing Maryland by 32 right now.

zCozN4J.jpg

FSU beat Clemson on the road by double digits. FSU is legit.
OK. Thanks. For some reason, I thought they had lost. Maybe that was the game that was so low scoring--at least at the half. Anyway, I think FSU could be good, but the rest of the league seems to be made up of Jekyll and Hyde teams--including, perhaps, us.

And UVA won at FSU.

UVA at Duke will be interesting tomorrow. Cavs playing very well right now, could be top 2 or 3 in conference.

Kinda thought FSU would be better than most expected. My lone reason was because they got a lot of attention from Wiggins. Lol that's faulty logic but they have been much better than most predicted.

Current KP projected standings for the ACC:

1. Syracuse 14-4
2. Pittsburgh 14-4
3. Virginia 14-4
4. Florida State 12-6
5. Duke 11-7
6. Clemson 10-8
7. UNC 9-9
8. Maryland 8-10
9. Miami 8-10
10. Notre Dame 7-11
11. N.C. State 7-11
12. Wake Forest 7-11
13. Georgia Tech 6-12
14. Virginia Tech 5-11
15. Boston College 5-11

My preseason picks were:

1. Duke
2. Syracuse
3. Virginia
4. Pittsburgh
5. North Carolina (with Hairston)
6. Notre Dame (with Grant)
7. Boston College (whoops)
8. Maryland
9. Georgia Tech
10. N.C. State
11. Wake Forest
12. Miami
13. Florida State
14. Clemson
15. Virginia Tech

Leonard Hamilton, Brad Brownell, and Jim Larranaga have all done fantastic jobs so far this year. Miami was universally panned to be near the bottom of the conference since they lost everybody. FSU and Clemson were also not supposed to be very good and have vastly outperformed their early season projections.

It would be interesting to see the last time (if ever) that neither Duke or UNC finished in the top three or four of the ACC in the same season.

I thought the ACC would break down into three 5-team tiers this year: Strong NCAA Teams (Duke, Syracuse, UVA, UNC, Notre Dame); NCAA Bubble Teams (Pitt, Maryland, BC, GT, FSU); and Bad Teams (WF, NCSU, Miami, Clemson, VPI).

Hairston and Grant being kicked out scuttled two of the teams in the top tier. UVA has underachieved compared to what I expected, but seems to be getting it together. Duke is also underachieving, but I'm not ready to count them out. Syracuse is outperforming already-high expectations.

In the mid-tier, Pitt and FSU are clearly overachieving, though FSU has enough (very close) losses that I wouldn't consider them a strong NCAA team despite their top-20 Pomeroy rating. Seth Allen's injury has been a major setback for UMD; we'll see if they can get things going as they work him back in the line-up. GT and especially BC have been inexcusably bad.

The bottom tier is significantly stronger than I thought, despite VPI being just as God-awful as I imagined. Clemson is far exceeding expectations, more than any other team on the list, and Miami also is much better than I thought. State too has overachieved, albeit not by as much as the other two.

Of course, what that leaves you with is more of a two-tier division between the haves and the have-nots, with the have-nots ranging from, "Maybe they'll sneak into the NIT" to "Virginia Tech," and not a whole lot of in-between. Lot more blow-outs than I would have expected thus far in the season.

Duke up 8 at the half over UVA. Watching a Duke player shoot 3's left-handed made me think of Lee Melchionni. Then I threw up in my mouth.

KFNJPZJDPKXQPOH.20060110185909.jpg

Whoa, UVA-Duke just got interesting.

Weakest ball-handling and guard play I've seen from Duke since the Cherokee Parks years.

Back