• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saban should take heat for this

Alabama Press Release:

Nick Saban and the University of Alabama offered a young man a second chance to get his life in order. Unfortunately, based on this young man's recent behavior, the University and Coach Saban have decided to part ways with this young man in order to maintain the core values and integrity that the University of Alabama stands for. Plus we've signed seven top 100 DTs in the last two classes so we really don't need him anymore anyway.

How did Auburn miss out on a UGA reject?

Bama paid more.:confused: But don't cross Auburn off his new list quite yet.

And no, ONW is correct that Saban is not going to take any heat for this. Well, maybe if they have videotape of both instances and convictions for both. In which case it may last a day or 2 in the Bama press.

So, if Mr. Taylor showed up Monday on Reynolda Road with the $60k+ in cash, wanting a college education and degree from Wake, we wouldn't let him play football, right?

""TUSCALOOSA, Ala. -- Alabama coach Nick Saban would not apologize for signing Jonathan Taylor, but he did say Monday that he was "very, very sorry for the way this worked out."

Saban, athletic director Bill Battle and the Alabama administration gave Taylor what they called a "second chance" in January, a year after he was dismissed by Georgia following an arrest for felony aggravated assault and family violence. On Saturday night, the 6-foot-4, 335-pound defensive lineman was arrested again on a domestic violence charge. He was dismissed on Sunday.

"I'm not sorry for giving him an opportunity. I'm sorry for the way things worked out," Saban told reporters in Tuscaloosa. "I'm not apologizing for the opportunity that we gave him. I wanted to try to help the guy make it work. It didn't work. So we're sorry that it didn't work and we're sorry there was an incident and we're sorry for the people that were involved in the incident. But we're not apologizing for what we did, and we're going to continue to create opportunities for people in the future and we'll very, very closely evaluate anyone's character that we allow in the program.""

Yep, wrote this press release two days ago.

Saban could walk into a Wal-Mart in Birmingham with an AK-47 and mow down 30 people and the Alabama fans would find a way to justify it. Do you really think he is going to take heat for this?

When OU took Dorial Green Beckham after his troubles at Mizzou, about 90% of the fans wanted nothing to do with that decision. Turned out that he stayed out of trouble, never played a down for OU, and is now in the draft. I absolutely understand from a fan perspective of not wanting to touch a player with a history of violence. However, society's tendency to ostracize these guys has gotten a bit out of control in the last few years, particularly as it relates to domestic violence. In the end, this guy at Alabama is a kid and probably a kid with no future outside of football. Assuming that he showed some contrition, he deserved a second chance, whether it be at Alabama or somewhere else. But he blew it, and now he's fucked. So be it.

Back