• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sage Surratts is out

For many college athletes, the on campus situation may be better circumstances than anyplace else they could be. High quality medical care, including frequent Covid testing. Healthy meals prepared for them. Peer group support. Goals in common with those you are with.

Yes, nine Wake grads signed with NFL teams last spring. However, reality is that most will not be playing NFL football in three years.

For most current players, the advantages of being on campus with their team mates far outweigh the risks of contracting Covid from potentially playing football.

Agree with you, blue. Not sure this improves or hurts his draft stock, but gives our young guys more playing time. I wish Sage the best.

NFL rule for draft eligibility is simply three years post high school graduation. No criteria for what you do in those three years. So Sage becomes draft eligible in spring 2021.

TITCR.

Chaz has to play his way into being drafted.

I looked at a mock draft the other day and both Surratts were shown as first rounders. Both I think were in the teens.

Edit to add. As I look at more mocks some have Chazz listed as a first rounder and Sage not in the first round. Chazz was runner up for Defensive Player of the Year in the ACC last year which is pretty impressive considering he is new at LB. The NFL really likes Chazz. He’s going to be a first rounder in all likelihood or right behind that. He certainly has already played his way into being drafted.

Last edited:
NFL rule for draft eligibility is simply three years post high school graduation. No criteria for what you do in those three years. So Sage becomes draft eligible in spring 2021.

Not true. He was eligible this past spring when he completed his jr yr academically.

Not true. He was eligible this past spring when he completed his jr yr academically.

Read the NFL draft eligibility criteria. I quote it for your edification.

"To be eligible for the draft, players must have been out of high school for at least three years and must have used up their college eligibility before the start of the next college football season. Underclassmen and players who have graduated before using all their college eligibility may request the league’s approval to enter the draft early."

https://operations.nfl.com/the-players/the-nfl-draft/the-rules-of-the-draft/

Dortch left Wake for the NFL after his academic jr year, after completing his 2nd year of playing + a redshirt year, correct?

I think there must be a stated or perceived acceptance by the NFL that opting out because of Covid will still allow someone who would have played to be drafted. Maybe if he left after last season he could only have signed as a free agent.

Last edited:
Sage redshirted his first year and played the next 2. He was eligible for 2019 NFL draft

Clawson has only made 3 mistakes in his WF career. Redshirting Bates, Dortch and Surratt. Possibly Donovan Greene too.

Sage redshirted his first year and played the next 2. He was eligible for 2019 NFL draft

Clawson has only made 3 mistakes in his WF career. Redshirting Bates, Dortch and Surratt. Possibly Donovan Greene too.

Clawson has played a bunch of true frosh. I dare say if those guys were ready to contribute on a consistent basis, they would have played. Heck, the Greene situation was probably played perfectly last year. Reports were that he struggled some early, but then started to really come on mid season. Then he got to play a lot, when the others went down, yet still didn't burn a season of eligibility.

Exactly. But a smart call for him probably made easier since he got hurt last year.

Makes me wonder whether last year's VT shoulder injury (for which everyone has been very tight lipped about) is perhaps continuing to be sufficiently problematic such that it might hurt his performance (and potential draft status) should play actually occur this fall.

That said, he seems like a nice young man and I can't fault him for focusing on what's best for his future.

I'm confused. If he's not going to play this season, shouldn't he have just gone pro last spring? I suppose he can train, improve on his own, but wouldn't he benefit from recent game film against our hard schedule?

Either way, good luck to him.

I guess this could be the start of a new trend.

He could have but this is what I understood about last year's NFL draft--it was loaded with bigger & faster WR's. Sage, while a good size at 6'3 is still not blessed with blazing speed. He has tremendous hands and gets good YAC-yards after catch. He was even the leading Power 5 receiver with over 1000 yards when he got hurt in game 8. Even listed as high as 7th or 8th on the early Heisman voting in late October. BUT he was not on any of the draft boards this past spring. This coming spring he will most likely move up several rounds in the draft [hopefully 2nd].

Here's to hoping the season starts off very well and Sage pulls a Nick Markakis and re-instates. One can hope.

Here's to hoping the season starts off very well and Sage pulls a Nick Markakis and re-instates. One can hope.

Well, the Deacs open with #1 Clemson in 3 weeks, and then play #8 ND in game 3. So, a couple of wins there would be an encouraging start. Then, Sage would be fresh for when WF makes its BCS playoff appearance.

Having two brothers who are not twins picked in the first round of the the NFL Draft in the same year is mind boggling. The odds on that must be staggering. Oops- just looked it up and it actually happened in 2018 with Tremaine and Terrell Edmunds (Edmunds family also has another brother in NFL so three at the same time)

Clawson has played a bunch of true frosh. I dare say if those guys were ready to contribute on a consistent basis, they would have played. Heck, the Greene situation was probably played perfectly last year. Reports were that he struggled some early, but then started to really come on mid season. Then he got to play a lot, when the others went down, yet still didn't burn a season of eligibility.

Seems to be lost in the shuffle that Donavon was lost in the shuffle in the first two games of his career, which further illustrates the highlighted point. Against Clemson -- albeit, *Clemson* -- his first two catches came on back-to-back plays. The next play he gets ridden out of bounds for an interception. He had one catch against Duke in the next game.

I mean, I think Donavon is going to be great. I also think his game at Syracuse and TD catch in the bowl game, plus the catch that got called back, create some unrealistic expectations for him.

Seems to be lost in the shuffle that Donavon was lost in the shuffle in the first two games of his career, which further illustrates the highlighted point. Against Clemson -- albeit, *Clemson* -- his first two catches came on back-to-back plays. The next play he gets ridden out of bounds for an interception. He had one catch against Duke in the next game.

I mean, I think Donavon is going to be great. I also think his game at Syracuse and TD catch in the bowl game, plus the catch that got called back, create some unrealistic expectations for him.

Agree that Clawson perfectly played the RS situation last year. WF was 7-1 without Greene in the lineup. They had who may be a first round pick in Sage Surratt and Scottie Washington at WR. So, playing Greene earlier wasn't going to change the arc of that season.

You may be right about the expectations for Greene, but it's not that easy to make big plays at the major college level, but they seemed to come easy for Greene at the end of the year. Understand that defenses will now gameplan for him, but think Donovan is the real deal and will adjust. Would've been really fun to have Greene and Surratt on the field at the same time.

Well, the Deacs open with #1 Clemson in 3 weeks, and then play #8 ND in game 3. So, a couple of wins there would be an encouraging start. Then, Sage would be fresh for when WF makes its BCS playoff appearance.

Ha, I meant starts off well COVID-wise so he would feel comfortable re-joining, but I'll take those wins, too...!

Agree that Clawson perfectly played the RS situation last year. WF was 7-1 without Greene in the lineup. They had who may be a first round pick in Sage Surratt and Scottie Washington at WR. So, playing Greene earlier wasn't going to change the arc of that season.

You may be right about the expectations for Greene, but it's not that easy to make big plays at the major college level, but they seemed to come easy for Greene at the end of the year. Understand that defenses will now gameplan for him, but think Donovan is the real deal and will adjust. Would've been really fun to have Greene and Surratt on the field at the same time.

True about big plays. The main place my mind has wandered in the Sage aftermath is how much of a difference it makes for Donavon to be the No. 2 option playing opposite an All-American to now needing to be "the guy." Just seems like a massive difference in roles and pressure.

When (if) we talk to Donavon in the next couple of weeks, will be the main thing I'm asking him about.

True about big plays. The main place my mind has wandered in the Sage aftermath is how much of a difference it makes for Donavon to be the No. 2 option playing opposite an All-American to now needing to be "the guy." Just seems like a massive difference in roles and pressure.

When (if) we talk to Donavon in the next couple of weeks, will be the main thing I'm asking him about.

Have you guys seen him with his shirt off?

Being ripped and physically ready to play is one thing. Being mentally ready to be the focus of the pass defense is another. A week ago Sage was going to be the focus of the defensive backfield. Donavon was going to be the guy who made them pay for doubling Sage. Now he is likely to at least draw the best cover guy. Going to be interesting to see how he handles it.

All I have to say is that I understand Surratts’ decision and I am still bummed out.

Back