• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Saliva Tests at Routine Traffic Stops

not disagreeing, especially WRT to kids in a car, but do you think there are more people driving high on weed or high on xanax? real question, b/c I don't have a good sense of depression drug use

So you believe that by the time you pull them over for driving erratically it is too late and we are only being reactive?

Well yeah, pretty much by definition...it's not really a matter of what I believe, it's just fact. You're reacting to an inebriated driver who is already on the road rather than proactively trying to prevent an inebriated driver from getting on the road in the first place.

How do you propose we keep drivers off the road? can you expand on that.

I don't have any system. I don't really care how it's done, it's not my job to come up with a solution. I only know that I support efforts and money being spent to educate and prevent rather than spending money to harass and invade the privacy of many innocent drivers in an effort to hopefully catch a few more guilty parties.

And once we put your system in place should we just trust that it worked and never reactively test to make sure?

We'll see a reduction in DUI arrests and deaths. Those things are already measured. We don't need to pull over everyone on the road and stick a Q-tip in their mouth to determine if DUI's are trending down.

So cop pulls you me over for broken license plate - sticks swab in my mouth? and it comes back that I am high? Should I be upset at that? Do we want me on the road?

Now one poster mentioned they may be able to mess with the swab and that would concern me but wouldn't we be worried about that now with the breathalyzers? I think cops are much more inclined to harass by making you do a sobriety test and them as the sole judge than a salvia test. Regardless if your drunk or high gtf off the road. This isn't just a cash grab thousands of innocent people are dying because of it. More people die from this than any white cop shooting black man. #alllivesmatter

No. You should be upset when you are sober, you get pulled over for a broken license plate light, and you get a q-tip stuck into your mouth.

do people get pulled over for a broken tail light and swabbed on a regular basis? i guess i'm just a terrible citizen b/c i really don't care about DUI checkpoints

not disagreeing, especially WRT to kids in a car, but do you think there are more people driving high on weed or high on xanax? real question, b/c I don't have a good sense of depression drug use

There are a lot lot lot of people driving around on Valium, Xanax, Clonopin, Vicodin, Adivan, etc. I don't know, look it up. But that shit impairs your driving and is abused by people and mixed and they are legal and drive around fucking shit up worse than some asshole who just took a bong hit. I've taken all those drugs recreationally, i offer my first hand knowledge to this thread. You're welcome

No. You should be upset when you are sober, you get pulled over for a broken license plate light, and you get a q-tip stuck into your mouth.

So how do we catch drivers driving impaired ? Tell me a scenario where you are ok with any test to verify this ?

So how do we catch drivers driving impaired ? Tell me a scenario where you are ok with any test to verify this ?

You see them cross a double line, or fail to stop at a light, or weave across the lane. You know - evidence of impaired driving.

You see them cross a double line, or fail to stop at a light, or weave across the lane. You know - evidence of impaired driving.

Ok so you get pulled over for busted tail light. While speaking to you they believe you may be impaired. you are against them testing you? They should let you go?

Ok so you get pulled over for busted tail light. While speaking to you they believe you may be impaired. you are against them testing you? They should let you go?

Huh? They now have probable cause to give you a field sobriety test and a breathalyzer test.

If you are driving properly except your license plate light is out, then you should get a ticket for your improper equipment or whatever and be set free.

If you are driving recklessly then you should lose your license and be ridiculed in the town square and kicked in the nuts. The cops should be looking for erratic and reckless drivers since, you know, they cause deaths and shit. License plate lights being out dont kill people I dont think.

Lets start with the stuff that kills innocent drivers and then work our way down from there

Huh? They now have probable cause to give you a field sobriety test and a breathalyzer test.

this is my point. this conversation goes back a few pages. Trying to walk through the logic that is being presented to me and understand this position where people are against being tested. How else to you keep the roads safe. I do not see it as a way to harass drivers.

If you are driving properly except your license plate light is out, then you should get a ticket for your improper equipment or whatever and be set free.

If you are driving recklessly then you should lose your license and be ridiculed in the town square and kicked in the nuts. The cops should be looking for erratic and reckless drivers since, you know, they cause deaths and shit. License plate lights being out dont kill people I dont think.

Lets start with the stuff that kills innocent drivers and then work our way down from there

So W&B if I am shit house wrecked but a good drunk driver I should just being given a ticket for broken light and be on my way?

this is my point. this conversation goes back a few pages. Trying to walk through the logic that is being presented to me and understand this position where people are against being tested. How else to you keep the roads safe. I do not see it as a way to harass drivers.

No, this conversation started with a poorly written article that implied that swabbing could happen at any routine traffic stops, even with the absence of probable cause of impairment.

According to Del. Glenn Davis (R-Virginia Beach), right now police can’t do on-site testing of someone who may be driving under the influence of a controlled substance.

To change that, the lawmaker has filed a bill to allow officers to use a saliva test to see if a driver is on some type of controlled substance.

I read this to be similar to a dui test meaning having probable cause. I def did a lot of assuming. I do not see where it says officers will just stick a swab in your mouth for the fuck of it. I agree though it is poorly written. Nevertheless, I appreciated the thread.

Why wouldn't they stick a swab in your mouth?

I actually got pulled recently because a cop car was coming towards me in the opposite lane with his high beams on and I flashed mine to let him know he was blinding me, then he pulled me over.

Reason was that I gave him probable cause to think there was something wrong.

That was bullshit.

Who should give a fuck if people drive high. Studies have shown that THC doesn't impair your abilities to drive, especially among habitual marijuana smokers. Wouldn't it be much more effective to just give people a sobriety test? If you pass your not impaired and if you fail your impaired and should get a DUI. It doesn't matter if your high or not what matters is whether or not you are to impaired to drive a motor vehicle.

There are a bunch of boring old white guys out there who try to compare marijuana use to alcohol (looking at you deac89), when the effects of both substances are actually completely different.

Back