• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sam Hartman is…..

I think that Sam is well on the way to earning that accolade. But he is still behind Riley and Wolford and maybe Venuto among those I've seen play.

They are all great but it’s Wolf. Just as good of a passer but had an element to the ground game that Sam doesn’t have.

Just be glad we can have this debate. Wake has really been blessed with good QBs over past fifteen years. Hartman, Newman, Wolf, Price, Skinner.

I don’t know that we will ever see it, but I’m not so certain that some of the guys holding clipboards for Wake right now wouldn’t be top half of ACC if given the chance.

They are all great but it’s Wolf. Just as good of a passer but had an element to the ground game that Sam doesn’t have.

Just be glad we can have this debate. Wake has really been blessed with good QBs over past fifteen years. Hartman, Newman, Wolf, Price, Skinner.

I don’t know that we will ever see it, but I’m not so certain that some of the guys holding clipboards for Wake right now wouldn’t be top half of ACC if given the chance.
The Griffis brothers are the future at QB.

Tough crowd assessing Hartman. I've loved watching Venuto, Skinner, and Wolford and each was my favorite until the next one. With all the waffling on Hartman I decided to do some research. Sometimes our memory doesn't match the facts. Since Hartman's resume is incomplete I looked at each QB's best year:

Name Record PassYds %comp TD's Int QBRate RushYds R TDs

Hartman 7-0 2073 65% 19 3 174 146 4
Skinner 5-7 3160 66% 26 12 148 56 2
Wolford 8-5 3192 64% 29 6 158 683 10
Venuto 8-3 2432 54% 16 17 115 53 1

Interesting numbers, what do you think?

Senior year Wolford was pretty incredible. Sam can be that good though.

Tough crowd assessing Hartman. I've loved watching Venuto, Skinner, and Wolford and each was my favorite until the next one. With all the waffling on Hartman I decided to do some research. Sometimes our memory doesn't match the facts. Since Hartman's resume is incomplete I looked at each QB's best year:

Venuto's numbers have to be judged a little differently based on the era he played. For that time those passing numbers were very impressive, remember the shotgun wasn't even utilized back then except for maybe the Cowboys, offenses weren't geared to throwing near as much and defense wasn't as hand cuffed defending the pass back then. Still, the point stands, Sam's numbers are great in comparison.

Wolford was pretty average the first half of that season too

I’m glad he’s caught on in LA but he was only a high level Wake QB for like 10 games during his four seasons

I’ve never understood this narrative

Well, not one single poster would ever have suggested that Wolford would be in this conversation during his 3rd year as a starter... And in his one dominant year he led us to a .500 conference record with a loss to Duke to end the regular season...

In my mind it's definitely Riley. Dude won an ACC Championship. Sam next up, and at 7-0 this year and another year coming I hope he surpasses Riley.

yeah Brasky, IIRC you were always one of Wolford's toughest critics. Kind of the football version of TITSP and Ish.

Well, not one single poster would ever have suggested that Wolford would be in this conversation during his 3rd year as a starter... And in his one dominant year he led us to a .500 conference record with a loss to Duke to end the regular season...

In my mind it's definitely Riley. Dude won an ACC Championship. Sam next up, and at 7-0 this year and another year coming I hope he surpasses Riley.

Kucklick and Schofield weren’t chopped liver. We’ve had a lot of good QBs.

Heck guys like Foy White, Phil Barnhill, Ben Sankey and Cory Randolph were pretty darn good too.

I know where you're coming from but you don't want to look at Riley's 2006 numbers...

Which is why I think Hartman will be a cross between Wolford's offensive efficiency but with Riley's leadership and clutch play. If he gets us to the ACC championship. You certainly can't argue that Hartman is playing with a better defense to account for the record.

Sam was really good with his reads today. That is more important in the RPO than in other offenses. He was also spot on with his choice of receivers on most of the pass plays.

Hartman is awesome and I'm glad he's the QB at Wake.

Back