• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sam Hartman

I can't believe the news today
about our golden boy, we let him get away

how long? how long must we sing this song?
how long, how long?

cause tonight
we can be as one, tonight

broken dreams right under our feet
offensive linemen strewn across the...

nah, that sucks too

As a regular poster on the Wake Forest message boards, I've had the opportunity to connect with a lot of other fans of the Deacs. And while I'm usually pretty upbeat and positive, I have to say that lately I've been feeling a bit down about the state of things.

It seems like every time I log onto the boards, there are more and more posts from other fans expressing disappointment, frustration, and sadness. Whether it's the team's performance on the court, the state of the program, or something else entirely, it feels like everyone is just feeling a little bit down.

It's tough to see so many of my fellow Deacs feeling this way. I know how much this team and this school mean to all of us, and it's hard to see us all feeling so discouraged.

But I want to remind everyone that it's okay to feel sad, and it's okay to express those feelings. We're all in this together, and I believe that by supporting one another and keeping our spirits up, we can weather this storm and come out the other side even stronger.

So let's try to lift each other up and remember that even in tough times, we are all in this together as Deacon fans. Go Deacs

NIL is turning out to be a ridiculous black hole. Can't wait for the IRS to start collection activity when guys aren't making their estimated tax payments (they're independent contractors) filing and paying taxes on time. Pro players are W2 employees, college players with NIL deals are not.
I can’t tell you the number of independent contractor types like I was for 40 years that never paid their quarterly tax deposit 941’s and waited till April. They had to pay penalties & interest plus the large lump sum. Many then had to borrow to pay that. So I can imagine these athletes if they don’t have good CPA representation from the start. Going to be a cluster.

There’s a lot of angst right now for Deacon fans. Our conference looks like it will be gutted at some point and us left behind in the rubble. And deep pockets schools are looking to come in under the guise of NIL and take the players our coaches worked to identify and develop. The future feels uncertain in so many ways. But. Here we all are- in this shit mess together.

I'm really upset about this whole NIL (name, image, and likeness) thing ruining college sports. It's just not fair to the athletes who are working hard and sacrificing their time to represent their schools.
Why should they be allowed to make money off of their image and likeness when they're already getting a scholarship to play? It's not like they're not getting compensated for their hard work.
Plus, it's going to ruin the integrity of the sport. It's going to be all about who can pay the most for these kids, rather than who has the most talent. It's going to become a bidding war and it's just going to ruin the spirit of college sports.
I know the younger generation is all about making money and being selfish, but college sports should be about the love of the game and representing your school. It shouldn't be about making a profit.
I just don't understand why they have to change everything and ruin it for the rest of us. Can't we just keep things the way they are and let these kids focus on their studies and their sport, rather than trying to make a buck off of it?
Sorry for the rant, but I'm just so frustrated with this whole thing. It's going to ruin college sports as we know it and it's just not fair to the athletes or the fans.

I'm really upset about this whole NIL (name, image, and likeness) thing ruining college sports. It's just not fair to the athletes who are working hard and sacrificing their time to represent their schools.
Why should they be allowed to make money off of their image and likeness when they're already getting a scholarship to play? It's not like they're not getting compensated for their hard work.
Plus, it's going to ruin the integrity of the sport. It's going to be all about who can pay the most for these kids, rather than who has the most talent. It's going to become a bidding war and it's just going to ruin the spirit of college sports.
I know the younger generation is all about making money and being selfish, but college sports should be about the love of the game and representing your school. It shouldn't be about making a profit.
I just don't understand why they have to change everything and ruin it for the rest of us. Can't we just keep things the way they are and let these kids focus on their studies and their sport, rather than trying to make a buck off of it?
Sorry for the rant, but I'm just so frustrated with this whole thing. It's going to ruin college sports as we know it and it's just not fair to the athletes or the fans.
Absolutely; the NCAA's amateurism model has long been a cornerstone of collegiate sports, and for good reason. This model ensures that student-athletes are able to focus on their studies and athletic pursuits without the added pressure and distraction of financial considerations. It also helps to level the playing field, allowing athletes from all financial backgrounds to have the opportunity to compete at the collegiate level.

Additionally, the amateurism model helps to maintain the integrity of collegiate sports. By prohibiting student-athletes from receiving financial compensation, it prevents any potential conflicts of interest and ensures that the focus remains on the love of the game and the pursuit of academic and athletic excellence.

Overall, the NCAA's amateurism model serves an important role in the world of collegiate sports, and it should be upheld and protected.

tl,dr; what the fuck is happening here?
NIL, or name, image, and likeness, refers to the rights that college athletes have to control and profit off of their own image and likeness. Prior to NIL becoming a hot topic, college athletes were not allowed to receive any form of payment or compensation for their athletic endeavors, even if they were being featured in advertisements or other promotional materials. This led to a significant imbalance between the NCAA, college athletic programs, and the athletes themselves, as the NCAA and programs were able to profit off of the athletes' performances without giving any financial compensation in return.

The adoption of NIL laws has the potential to significantly change this dynamic. By allowing college athletes to profit off of their own image and likeness, it gives them more power and autonomy in their athletic careers. This could lead to increased opportunities for athletes to earn money through endorsements, sponsorships, and other forms of compensation, which could potentially alleviate some of the financial strain that many college athletes face.

However, NIL has also caused some controversy and uncertainty within the college sports world. There are concerns about how NIL will be regulated and enforced, and whether it will lead to an unequal distribution of income among athletes. Some also worry that NIL could lead to increased professionalization of college sports, potentially undermining the amateur status of college athletes.

Overall, the impact of NIL on college sports is still largely unknown, as it is a relatively new concept and different states have implemented it in different ways. However, it is clear that NIL has the potential to significantly change the landscape of college sports and the relationship between athletes, programs, and the NCAA.

tl,dr; what the fuck is happening here?
Hey everyone,

I just wanted to address the issue of AI responses that have been popping up in the Sam Hartman thread. As a moderator, I understand that these types of responses can be frustrating and disruptive to the conversation.

We have systems in place to try to prevent these types of responses from appearing on the board, but unfortunately they are not always 100% effective. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause and we are working to improve our systems to prevent these types of responses from appearing in the future.

In the meantime, please report any AI responses that you come across so that we can take action to remove them. We appreciate your understanding and patience as we work to address this issue.

Thanks!

It’s difficult to say without more information about what the code is supposed to do and what’s happening when it’s executed. One potential issue with the code you provided is that the resultWorkerErr channel is never closed, which means that the code could potentially hang if the resultWorkerErr channel is never written to. This could happen if b.resultWorker never returns an error or if it’s canceled before it has a chance to return an error.

To fix this issue, you could close the resultWorkerErr channel after writing to it. For example, you could add the following line of code after the line that sends the error on the channel:

close(resultworkerErr)

This would ensure that the resultWorkerErr channel is always closed, even if b.resultWorker never returns an error. Again, it’s difficult to say whether this is the issue you’re experiencing without more information about the problem you’re seeing. Can you provide more details about what’s happening when you run the code?

I think it's clear that one of the main reasons Sam Hartman left Wake Forest for Notre Dame was the lack of an on-campus stadium. Now, I can't go into too much detail about this, but let's just say that I have a pretty good idea of what was going through Hartman's head when he made this decision.

I mean, just look at the facts: Notre Dame has one of the most iconic and historic on-campus stadiums in college football, while Wake Forest plays its home games at a small, off-campus stadium that lacks the same level of history and tradition. It's not hard to see why Hartman would be drawn to Notre Dame. As a quarterback, he wants to play in a stadium that's packed with passionate fans and has a reputation for being a tough place for opponents to play. Wake Forest's stadium just doesn't offer that kind of atmosphere.

Plus, I've heard that playing at an on-campus stadium has all sorts of other benefits. It's easier for students to attend games, for one thing, which helps create a more vibrant game-day experience. And it's just generally more convenient for everyone involved.

Of course, there are other factors that may have influenced Hartman's decision, such as Notre Dame's overall program and coaching staff. But I think it's pretty clear that the lack of an on-campus stadium played a significant role.

Back