• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sam Hartman

I was talking about this comment
Nothing wrong with a metaphor! If you think nothing is wrong,, you're free to think that and call me dramatic. I'm also free to call a spade a spade when explaining my thinking about a topic as relevant as our QB transferring schools.

I have also never had a rib removed, but it’s not one of the big ribs in the chest. It was the tiny one near the collar bone that most people don’t even know exists. So I’m not sure it’s exactly the same with breathing pain although I certainly agree that it was a reason for not running.

This is correct. There's a big difference between having the first rib removed and having any of the other ribs injured or removed.

Word on the street, though this is from well-connected Wake people not ND, is that the Irish paid Sam $2M to make the move. If that's true, it shows a lack of ambition from Sam imo. The NFL rookie minimum is almost half of that and would put him one year closer to getting out of his rookie contract where if he could reach back up level, he'd make more like $4M a year. He'd probably make more than a rookie minimum anyway if he squeezed into the 4th or 5th round which wouldn't be too unexpected. He must not have a ton of confidence in his ability to be an NFL backup, which sucks. College sports these days is like watching one slow funeral becoming more and more dead each year, so I'm not going to freak out over something like Sam's situation, I just think it's incorrect to say taking a bribe from a college was the only financially smart thing for him to do. He chose not only to play at another university, he chose to play against us. All when he would have made comparable money in the NFL.

You also have no idea what he’s heard from agents/NFL scouts. He is just as likely to be an UDFA as a 4th rounder, IMO. $2MM guaranteed is better than $0 guaranteed. He’s a good college QB, but seems to lack the measurables that the NFL loves.

Word on the street, though this is from well-connected Wake people not ND, is that the Irish paid Sam $2M to make the move. If that's true, it shows a lack of ambition from Sam imo. The NFL rookie minimum is almost half of that and would put him one year closer to getting out of his rookie contract where if he could reach back up level, he'd make more like $4M a year. He'd probably make more than a rookie minimum anyway if he squeezed into the 4th or 5th round which wouldn't be too unexpected. He must not have a ton of confidence in his ability to be an NFL backup, which sucks. College sports these days is like watching one slow funeral becoming more and more dead each year, so I'm not going to freak out over something like Sam's situation, I just think it's incorrect to say taking a bribe from a college was the only financially smart thing for him to do. He chose not only to play at another university, he chose to play against us. All when he would have made comparable money in the NFL.
What street? There is almost no way he’s getting anything close to $2 mil. There was also no way he was going to go in the 4th or 5th round. There is a better chance of him going undrafted than him still being in the NFL in 4 years.

I've also heard the $2 million figure. No idea if it's accurate.

Maybe he could make a cool $2 million getting exposure via one of the most well known college brands, then still get drafted and make the money you're talking about too. "Lack of ambition" is never a phrase that has been ascribed to Sam Hartman, I feel sure.

This is a terrible take. First, the rookie minimum is roughly 35% of $2M, not half. Second, many projections this year had Sam as best case 6th/7th round, but more likely UDFA. If he went the NFL route this year, there would be a much greater likelihood he'd end up on a practice squad (if anything at all), rather than making a 53 man roster, which would mean he'd earn $207k for the year, which is 10% of $2M. For the NFL to be a better financial decision, he'd have to not only make a 53 man roster, but stay on a roster for 3 years to make $2M. If the $2M from ND is accurate, that's by far the better financial decision, objectively speaking.

Maybe he's good enough to stick in the NFL...but if that's the case and he's good enough now, he'll be good enough next year too, but will be starting the NFL journey $2M richer. If he's not good enough, he's getting paid way more than he ever would've than if he tried jumping to the NFL this year.

(Again, basing all of this on the assumption of the $2M number).

Last edited:
imagine turning down $2 million to maybe go be an NFL backup one day.

Take the money and you still have the opportunity to do that and potentially with a higher ceiling if he plays well next year

A fan not liking NIL isn't a good reason to pass on that kind of money

We may not like it. But there's not a scenario where a fringe NFL player shouldn't take this type of money. If he's an NFL player one day - then this is couch change. If he's not, it launches him into his post football life with a huge nest egg. It's a very good decision. I still don't like the optics of it as a Wake alum. But, I get it

Back