• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Sandusky Gets 30 Years

Paterno was this guy's boss, he could have ordered McQueary to go to the police and if that's what he did and McQueary ignored him then why did Paterno later hire McQueary as a full on assistant?

did you read the indictment? Child protection agencies and directors of the organization were all ordered to do investigations.... joepa is supposed to police them too? remember, Sandusky doesn't work for him at the time. He told his boss, and AD...the Child Protection agencies were informed, and investigating Jerry.

Again, we got Sandusky, and as he burns in hell, I hope the devil shoves the trident right up his ass...

Seems like Curley and Spanier are going to have a lot of question answering to do now, and too much grey to understand should joepa have done more..

did you read the indictment? Child protection agencies and directors of the organization were all ordered to do investigations.... joepa is supposed to police them too? remember, Sandusky doesn't work for him at the time. He told his boss, and AD...the Child Protection agencies were informed, and investigating Jerry.

Again, we got Sandusky, and as he burns in hell, I hope the devil shoves the trident right up his ass...

Seems like Curley and Spanier are going to have a lot of question answering to do now, and too much grey to understand should joepa have done more..

I have read the report. Child Protection services was not told about the incident in question. These are the people who knew about the 2002 incident in the order they were informed: McQueary, Paterno, Curley, Schultz, and Spanier. No authorities were ever informed, unless you count Schultz as such due to the police department reporting to him in his position as VP of Business and Finance.

Every person who hears about this from a credible source should be telling the police, especially since every last one of them except for McQueary knew about the 1998 incident in the showers.

That's got to be it. Otherwise, there is nothing associated with this mess that is even remote defensible.

First of all. I know you aren't talking to me. I have 2 kids, and one on the way. If any one of my children was remotely touched inappropriately, I would gut them like a pig.

No one, on this board is defending what happened. No one. It's an accountability piece, and there are certain people (outside of Sandusky) that didn't rape or touch anyone inappropriately.... but I think that it's important to understand who/what happened after the fact and could they have done more... I guess, with a grand jury testimony, people could have done more, but was it that clear at the time? I don't know. If joepa comes out and says, 'ok, I knew more and did nothing' then to hell with him too...but it's important to understand timelines and exactly what happened after the incidents occurred.

My only point is that maybe at the time, JoePa thought he did everything he was supposed to do....again, it's not like sandusky showed up in the locker room the next day and was ready to coach some more. Who knows what was told to Joe. They probably said 'ok, we are going to perform an investigation'... maybe? maybe not?... maybe he looks back and says ' I should have done more'... again, I don't know.

Honestly, the rationalization by so many Penn State fans has been disgusting. Paterno was just as culpable as Curley and Schultz up until the point those two lied to a grand jury.

Paterno isn't some rank and file middle manager. He's the head football coach and the 2nd highest paid employee of the state of Pennyslvania. He has the university's president on speed dial and probably the governor too. As someone who preaches values constantly, he is expected to do more in the face of such a crime than follow bureaucratic policies. Actually, it doesn't even matter who he is, human decency dictates that you do everything you can in the face of such a crime, not just place a phone call and pass the buck.

I am done with this. I am not changing any more minds on the subject. I would just advise that people actually understand the series of events and that through it all Penn State did nothing and every employee involved remained on staff, one of them receiving a significant promotion.

Last edited:
My only point is that maybe at the time, JoePa thought he did everything he was supposed to do....again, it's not like sandusky showed up in the locker room the next day and was ready to coach some more. Who knows what was told to Joe. They probably said 'ok, we are going to perform an investigation'... maybe? maybe not?... maybe he looks back and says ' I should have done more'... again, I don't know.

Every last one with knowledge, direct or otherwise, should have reported this to the police. There isn't much justification for doing anything other than that.

You would gut your children if they were touched inappropriately? That seems unfair.

My only point is a grand jury is indicting lots of people apparently, why would they let others go? I'm not sure it's on him to go to the police, when it's an adult talking about a crime that he witnessed, not something he witnessed personally.... And we don't know that Joepa didn't say 'hey, you need to talk to the police'...

This is an enormous point and a very fair one to make in re: to Paterno. A lot facts rest under indictments that are never stated in indictments. The most telling thing so far is that no one is going after JoePa for committing a crime. That "silence" says a lot. Still a lot of questions to answer, but that one fact alone suggests Paterno is not going to face any charges.

Every last one with knowledge, direct or otherwise, should have reported this to the police. There isn't much justification for doing anything other than that.

Seriously though...at the end of the day, you and TBR are probably right. Something so serious, there shouldn't be grey areas. It should be pretty easy to say 'I heard it from GA, reported to the AD and called the police to let them know about something I heard'...

Hands clean, move on.

Some of y'all are having a hard time seperating legal and moral responsibility. I could watch somebody drowning to death, tell a lifeguard, and walk away. I would not be legally at fault.

Or I could fucking jump in and intervene. McQueary, Paterno, Curley, Schultz, and Spanier sat there and watched the kid drown.

Some of y'all are having a hard time seperating legal and moral responsibility. I could watch somebody drowning to death, tell a lifeguard, and walk away. I would not be legally at fault.

Or I could fucking jump in and intervene. McQueary, Paterno, Curley, Schultz, and Spanier sat there and watched the kid drown.

The Grand Jury concludes that the sexual assault of a minor male in 2002 should have been reported to the Department of Public Welfare and/or a law enforcement agency such as the University Police or the State Police. The University, by its senior staff, Gary Schultz, Senior Vice President for Finance and Business and Tim Curley, Athletic Director, was notified by two different Perm State employees of the alleged sexual exploitation of that youth. mandatory reporting statute for suspected child abuse is located at 23 ?63l1 (Child Protective Services Law) and provides that when a staff member reports abuse, pursuant to statute, the person in charge of the school or institution has the responsibility and legal obligation to report or cause such a report to be made by telephone and in writing within 48 hours to the Department of Public Welfare of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania.

Isn't this basically saying that it was the law to report it? It even says "cause to report", which to me would indicate making the GA report it. Am I reading it wrong?

I can't lie. I love my school (FSU) more than anything other than my family however, if this happened there, I would seriously feel dirty driving 2 hours to a game there this weekend. It would take a while to get over this happening. I have many Penn State friends that I honestly feel terrible for today and 99.9% of the university did nothing wrong.

I've had a chance to digest, I guess it was putting joepa in a negative light that made it hard to grasp. He did something, but not enough. He has to share responsibility and I don't see how he stays on board as coach .....this fucking sucks ...

LkVkh.jpg

We Are! Pedo State!

I just read the entire indictment. What is clear is that:

1 - The assistant told JoePa
2 - JoePa immediately told the AD
3 - The school was required to report the matter to the police and did NOTHING.

That begs a ton of questions.

a - What did the assistant tell JoePa. JoePa claims he did not know about the seriousness of the allegations.
b - What was the AD told. And who the hell told him. Because the assistant claims he was clear with the AD. Was he not as clear with JoePa.
c - Someone is definitely lying. Because for the AD to be wrung up on charges he had to have known there was a serious issue involving Sandusky.

The fact no one went to the police, at all, is astounding. I didn't quite get that fact until I read the indictment.

And that indictment is NOT an easy thing to read.

Anybody defending Paterno has to be under the impression that he knew nothing about the 1998 incident which resulted in Sandusky's abrupt retirement. I seriously doubt the head football coach knew nothing about an incident which resulted in his heir apparent retiring.....

Back