• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Santa Claus (not the secret santa thread)

lbE08

Stegosaurus are bush league
Reaction score
Just curious how other families handle Santa with their kids.

For us growing up, all presents came from Santa - none from our parents - and they were not wrapped. Things were set out on Christmas morning and it was fairly obvious whose pile (pile is an overstatement) was whose.
Needless to say, I was shocked to find out other kids' parents gave them gifts, and also to find out Santa wrapped their stuff.

What do other people do? For new parents, whose family tradition do you carry forward or are you starting your own?

santa is not real

Last edited by a moderator:
Got gifts from my parents, but not as much as Santa. I think it was primarily just to try and help convince us that they werent Santa.

Santa wrapped gifts because Santa isn't a lazy ass moocher and has elves to do that kind of woman's work rather than sip hot cocoa on the North Pole taxpayer's dime. Never got gifts from parents directly, only fat ol' WASPy Santa. Gifts were never pre-sorted. We had to WORK for them.

Last edited:
Wrapped presents from Santa in separate piles (have a little brother)

Gift from Parents was normally a joint gift (N64, Xbox, ect.) that was not included in Santa stack

Got gifts from my parents, but not as much as Santa. I think it was primarily just to try and help convince us that they werent Santa.

This, but Santa didn't wrap... But for less sexist reasons than DF's Santa.

My parents gave us gifts as well, gifts were all wrapped (but Santa had different paper) and they were all under the tree.

Gifts from Santa were generally unwrapped in separate piles. Still got a few wrapped gifts from parents under the tree.

wait, santa isn't real? YOU BASTARDS

Santa%20kneeling%20to%20Jesus.jpg

Oh man, this is such a divisive topic. I have had arguments with both LDToy and my friends about it. Everyone tends to be very opinionated about they way they did it growing up being the right way (and I'm no different!).

Santa never wrapped our presents. We each had an area of the den (my brother and I each had a chair and my other brother had the couch), and that's where Santa left our unwrapped presents. It was awesome cause we could sneak down early and see what we got without waking up our parents.

We did also get wrapped presents from our parents (and each other, grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc). Those presents were under the tree in the days/weeks leading up to Christmas, and then Santa presents obviously appeared overnight for Christmas morning.

I can understand parents deciding not to wrap Santa's gifts. But it's clearly lazy and inferior.

LDToy got presents from his parents in addition to Santa, but Santa wrapped his presents (in different paper I think).

We have not yet decided what we're going to do for the Bug. It doesn't matter as much this year since she's only like 6 months old, but we'll have to make a determination for next year at least I think.

I am a strong advocate for non-wrapped Santa presents (it's how I grew up, it saves paper, and it saves my lazy butt from having to wrap as much!), as well as a few presents from mom and dad under the tree.

My parents gave us gifts as well, gifts were all wrapped (but Santa had different paper) and they were all under the tree.

Same here. Gifts from family were often under the tree for a week or so leading up to Christmas and the Santa gifts arrived overnight. Santa's handwriting was remarkably similar to my mother's!

I was surprised when I learned it wasn't the same for all families. If I ever have kids, I definitely want to have gifts from parents, but would be fine with Santa gifts being unwrapped.

I can understand parents deciding not to wrap Santa's gifts. But it's clearly lazy and inferior.

Yep. I hope millennials can see this, but I'm not optimistic. They are too attached to their parents to hold them accountable for defining their childhood with their lazy traditions.

Oh man, this is such a divisive topic. I have had arguments with both LDToy and my friends about it. Everyone tends to be very opinionated about they way they did it growing up being the right way (and I'm no different!).

Santa never wrapped our presents. We each had an area of the den (my brother and I each had a chair and my other brother had the couch), and that's where Santa left our unwrapped presents. It was awesome cause we could sneak down early and see what we got without waking up our parents.

We did also get wrapped presents from our parents (and each other, grandparents, aunts and uncles, etc). Those presents were under the tree in the days/weeks leading up to Christmas, and then Santa presents obviously appeared overnight for Christmas morning.

this is pretty much us exactly, minus presents from parents. other wrapped gifts were under the tree (or on the table nearby, since dad is an avid train collector and set it all up under the tree every year) leading up to Christmas.

This. Unwrapping the present is the best part. Why do lazy parents want to deprive their children of that joy? And why is it too much to ask Santa to wrap his presents but not too much to ask that he make them all to order and deliver them to every kid in the world in one night?

Back