• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

SAT v. ACT

I looked it up. Wake does host it.

One of my former TIP kids is a lifer. I was his RA his first year at Davidson and he has been at TIP as a student, TA, and Instructor since even though he's a Business Law prof.

Where does the OP live? I always thought SAT v. ACT was just a regional thing, with some colleges in some parts of the country accepting scores from one but not the other. I grew up in NC and took the SAT, but where I live now (Midwest) nobody talks about the SAT. This is ACT country.

YO buckets what did you get on the SAT in 7th grade? I think I got something like 950 or 970 but some chica in my class got a 1250 or something monte like that.

Well, without knowing more about the requirements of the program, it's tough to give good advice.

I was an admissions counselor and tutor of each of these tests for a few years and know a good amount about the differences if you're looking for specifics and would like to PM.

Wasn't trying to be glib/callous.

Yeah, I'm sure he started the thread about the subject because he wasn't looking for specifics, but rather 2 completely useless posts by someone that may be trying to hit on him in PM.

So, I taught to the ACT when I was teaching and the best advice that I can give is that it depends on your kid. The ACT tests more of what you are supposed to be learning in high school and the SAT is more of an aptitude test, so, depending on where your son is, one test can make more sense than the other. A 7th grader would probably do better on the SAT than the ACT simply because the content of the ACT is very specific to HS curriculum. The SAT relies more on logical thinking. When it comes time to take the test for real though (i.e., for college), choosing the right test can make a difference as they are fundamentally different in what they measure.

This is spot on. The ACT really focuses on what you've learned versus the SAT looking at how you've learned it. Some kids do better on one than the other, just another way of thinking. To each their own. I remember taking the SAT for a similar program back in middle school. Good practice and experience for the next few years of what's coming.

Where does the OP live? I always thought SAT v. ACT was just a regional thing, with some colleges in some parts of the country accepting scores from one but not the other. I grew up in NC and took the SAT, but where I live now (Midwest) nobody talks about the SAT. This is ACT country.

It can be very regional, you are correct on that. It's offered more/less frequent based on what the close-in-proximity Universities are looking for, but I've never known of a University to take one and not the other.

The Tennessee tech school I work at only discusses ACT student scores, for what it's worth.

Back