• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Satellite TV - DirectTV v Dish - Opinions

NashvegasDeac

Reaction score
Looking at getting rid of Comcast TV and switching to one of the dishes - seeking opinions on DirectTV v Dish? Many thanks in advance for your 2 cents.

We have direct and I wouldn't trade it. My husbands parents have dish when he was growing up. After experiencing both, he prefers direct. One great thing with direct is that if you refer someone you get a discount on both parties bills.

I had Dish for a few years and switched to DirecTV earlier this year. They're fairly comparable IMO. Dish has the hopper and direct has the genie. You can record multiple shows at once. We got a heck of a deal getting DirecTV through Costco, like stupid crazy discounts. Both are more generous to new customers than existing customers. IMO, go with whichever you can get the cheapest deal on.

Does either offer any type of reasonable Internet specials? I checked out Dish and what I saw looked too slow for streaming, etc.

I'm in a new neighbor with an exclusive cable deal with TWC. Getting their Internet and satellite TV would be too expensive.

I just went through the decision process and went with DirecTV. For the channels we wanted, DirecTV was about 10 bucks cheaper per month with the same kind of HD/DVR options

Anyone tried the GenieGO add-on device that allows you to view recorded programming on your iPad/phone/computer (a la Sling box)?

Any reason you're committed to getting satellite? I ask because we have Fios and its the best experience I've ever had with TV service.

FIOS is so great. I hated leaving it. I've had to explain to my 4 year old, "No, we can't record the whole show after we started watching it. This house is different than the other house." My wife didn't think switching from FIOS was a big deal until we got TWC and every day I showed her something different we can't do that we took for granted with FIOS. TWC makes watching TV a pain in the ass.

FIOS is so great. I hated leaving it. I've had to explain to my 4 year old, "No, we can't record the whole show after we started watching it. This house is different than the other house." My wife didn't think switching from FIOS was a big deal until we got TWC and every day I showed her something different we can't do that we took for granted with FIOS. TWC makes watching TV a pain in the ass.

You can record after you've started watching with DTV. ;)

Oh I'm sure you can. The problem is the neighborhood contract gives me a hard to beat price for high-speed internet and cable.

i don't know a lot about dish, so i can't really compare. but i love my directv.

I've had DirecTV for 12 or 13 years now, and while it isn't as great as it used to be (mostly because of continually rising prices), it is still pretty good. I can't complain about the service, as any time I have had a problem, I've either been able to get it fixed over the phone or they have had someone to my house within 48 hours. I certainly prefer it to Dish, which my parents have. But one time, they switched over to DirecTV and ended up going back to Dish after their contract was up because they didn't like DirecTV as much. So it really is a matter of personal preference... but both are probably better than TWC.

There's really no point in combining internet with Dish or DirecTV. Neither services actually offer internet, so they are just reselling another provider. Typically this will be a poor performing option in the area (usually DSL) since cable/Fios have no reason to partner with anyone. You'd do better just going to them directly. There is actually Satellite internet but it's horrible. The only market for Satellite Internet is for areas with no wired internet option at all (think rural Montana or something).

I've had both Dish and DirecTV, for me DirecTV wins easily. Biggest programming difference is NFL Ticket - since that's DirecTV only. Beyond that overall programming is better on DirecTV (some might remember Dish losing AMC for months last year), plus they offer more specials on sports coverage (like 7 dedicated channels during the Masters for example). Dish had better equipment for a while but the Genie is pretty solid so that gap has narrowed. Customer service for DirecTV is far, far better than Dish - they almost always hook you up with some sort of discount or something if you've been a loyal customer.

Without some Internet incentive, it's tough to justify switching from crappy cable especially with other options for streaming and Sunday Ticket.

Without some Internet incentive, it's tough to justify switching from crappy cable especially with other options for streaming and Sunday Ticket.

This is how I've seen it generally play out:

1) Get Fios if you can
2) Get Comcast/Other cable provider for internet, get sucked into deal that combines TV for like $100/month.
3) First half of promotion ends, bill gets jacked up to max acceptable number
4) Second half of promotion ends, bill balloons to crazy town.
5) Call and complain, experience first-hand the horrors of Comcast service. Threaten to leave for DirecTV, listen to them give zero fucks.

--- decision point to either stick with Cable because you also have phone service or can't mount a dish or don't have that many channels/DVR's - or go with DirecTV/Dish ---

6) Get DirecTV and deal with the pain of setting it up, enjoy first year or two of super cheap bills and probably free NFL Ticket. End up with both at pretty much the exact same max acceptable point as step 3.
7) Comcast calls to offer deal from step 2 again. Rinse, repeat. Or stay loyal to DirecTV because at least they treat you nice while they take your money.

I'd be happy to offer my account number so you can get $100 off your bill with DirecTV :D

is the DirecTV Genie worth getting over the normal HD DVR?

Back